406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Post by markss327 »

It's safe bet, the firing order is correct. It's been checked by two people.
It's not points, it's an MSD unit. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the pickup ring. But, - by pickup ring, you mean the 8 sided 'star' that activates the 'reader', then we're on the same page. It will get looked at. My bet is on lifters. It DID pop out the exhaust when first started Saturday - about 30 seconds worth. Then, it settled down. In the garage, idling, it's really hard to detect a miss. I think a milder cam may be in the future. I'm ready for something that idles a little smoother. The current .510/.533 could go, and I think something around .440/.460 would be OK. Desk Top Dyno shows, (with my 406 setup) that using a smaller cam, makes more power.

Anyway..... the plan is to get her running, do 500 street/break-in miles, and then start the 1320s. The 500 miles could be done in a week. Driving to work and back, plus evening cruises. With current fuel prices, 500 miles will cost about $125. Ouch.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think your diagnosis of a stuck valve/lifter is reasonable. I had problems with that when I first put my engine together back in '01. Once you get it running and get it up to temp, try re-adjusting all valves with the engine running.

You used the same cam, so it seems unlikely you wiped a cam lobe.

The distributor ring seems unlikely. (but not impossible)

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

May 2nd

I still have a dead hole.
After a week of 'If I ignore it, maybe, it'll go away' kinda of thinking...... :?
My neighbor and I, went over the valve train, this time we adjusted the valves with the engine running. He had the neat idea of fashioning some aluminum foil over the rockers, as to divert the oil. It worked great! Got a oil stain on the ground the size of a footprint.

When making the adjustment on #2, she changed tune a bit, (rpm picked up) but then returned to the way it was. Hummm. Next, we're gona put an indicator on the rockers, and measure lift. This should give us more information. If it turns out to be a lifter, anyone have any thoughts about using new lifters, on a used cam? These things are supposed to break in together, but I'm thinking I'm eventually gona wipe the lobes that get the new lifters. Any thoughts?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I have a used rocker cover that I cut specially for adjusting the valvetrain with the engine running (and to prevent as much mess as possible). If you have stock rockers, I also have the clips that go over the end with the oil hole to keep them from squirting all over the place. You're welcome to use them anytime.

I don't think you should have any problems putting new lifters on a used cam. The common warning is to never put used lifters on a new cam. Your idea to measure lift is a good one.

I've heard my engine change a little when adjusting valves, but then sort of settle back to where it was in a few seconds.

Are these the same heads that were on the 327?

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Yes, same heads.
When I removed them from the 327, I dissembled them, had them 'hot tanked' and maged (just because....), had the 400 specific 'steam holes' drilled, then I lapped the valves, and re-assembled them.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I've been giving my dilemma a lot of thought, probably too much thought. I set up a dial indicator on the rockers, valve end. The suspect cylinder, shows .500+ lift on both. The cam has .513/.533 lift. It was interesting watching them bleed down - about .250 worth, over a minute or two. I don't know quite what to do at this point.

This weekend, I'll be picking up my trailer, and hauling it home. Loaded with my 'traveling toolbox' I'll have it backed in, ready to go. If I can stand it, I'm gona drive the Nova. Try to put at least 20 miles on it. Paul and his friend (damn if I can remember his name), stopped over last Sunday, and gave it a listen. They both suggested to drive it. I dono.... like the cylinder will 'heal itself' and come to life..... If she breaks, or I just cant stand to run it on 7 cylinders, it's just a call to Colleen, and she can motor on over to where ever, and rescue me..... :)

Mentally, I've prepared myself to tear back into the motor. Well, at least pull heads.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Did you ever swap out that plug wire and/or spark plug?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The whole electrical end -
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
and now the actual distributor itself, have been tested and/or change out.

That cap and wires you let me borrow, has come in handy - thanks!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I still have a nasty miss. It'll idle fine, actually hit on all 8, but under load, and moving, I can only get 7.
Soooo, after trying everything I could think of *on the outside* of the engine, it's time to look on the inside. It's now stripped down to the short block. Pistons all look fine. Heads all look OK. Pulled all the lifters - OK. All this disassembly, and I find no reason why it shouldn't run properly. Man, this sucks.

At this point, my only possible conclusion, is a lifter. One that won't function properly, at rpm. I don't know, maybe I'm guessing......

As far as parts, It's gona be a gasket set now, and I'm defiantly looking for a new bump stick. I'm not going to let this sit. The weather is nice, and certain other 400s are coming to life......
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm thinking cam & lifters, and put back together.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, it has been sitting. About two+ weeks now.
Ordered a new cam and lifter set from Summit, PN 1103, and they shipped PN 1301 (somebodys a tad dyslexic....) - just happens to be a Chevy BB cam, .500 lift! After returning it, and a week later, still no cam. :(
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Summit is only about an hour away.... take a little weekend drive.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, the cam (the correct one) came the same day I posted this. The goal now, is to have her running by June 21.
We're having a garage sale that weekend, and I kinda want her out of the garage, and hid in the back yard somewhere.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

markss327 wrote:The goal now, is to have her running by June 21.
Uh, its June28, what is the status :?:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

LOL.....

The garage sale came, and went. The Nova got pushed out of the garage, not really hid anywhere - and got rained on. First time it's seen rain since '04 at Dragway 42. Oh, well.....

The engine is somewhat re-assembled. New cam/lifters installed. Heads back on. I'm installing the valve train - pushrods, rockers. The ugly part will be the exhaust manifolds, and head pipes. The grill, filler panel, front bumper had to be removed, to allow the cam change. Man, I hate sequential disassembly.

I figure about 6hrs of labor, and it should make noise. 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI