Fuel Prices

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Yeah, gas just hit $3.45 for 87 here. It goes up about $0.05 to $0.10 a week lately. I could get it for like $3.29 a few weeks ago.
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

Sad story

Post by Fred32v »

Sorry to hear the Avalanche is for sale. Need some pictures, data, and price in the Tiresmoke "For Sale" section.

Also, some pictures of the new ride would be nice. Wonder what that '05 Impala w/3.4 will turn in the quarter,
is it in the 16's? Is it as fast as the T-bird, the '87 442, the S10, the 3.1 Camaro, the Ranger, the old AV, etc..
I'm thinking we might need some numbers to remove any doubt. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I did a recent tune-up to the GTP that included new plugs, wires, fuel filter, injector cleaner, cleaned the K&N (yeah, K&N), and changed the oil. I also installed four new struts. According the dash readout, I'm averaging 24 mpg in all-around driving over a couple weeks. I reset it this morning just as I got on the freeway and when I had gotten downtown, it had settled around 36mpg for pure-highway driving. I don't think I can hope for any more, and I'm pleased with that.

I've already reduced most of my driving to bare essentials. I stack up as many errands as I can in one trip, and try to combine routine errands with my commute. I only drive the truck when I need to haul something (10k miles in 2.5 years of ownership). Gas prices weren't much of a factor for the Chevelle until recently. It seems to only go to Thompson, or the occasional run to my parents house anymore.

Now that warm weather is here, I'll try to take advantage of my bike as much as is practical. I'll probably give it a tune-up too.

A trip to Andy's house for poker night is 80+ miles round trip. Averaging 24mpg, that's a 3+ gallon trip. At $4/gallon, it's over half my entry-fee just to go there! I would've never thought about it in those terms a year or two ago.

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

If you guys are going to continue to talk like this you are going to convince me that it is too expensive for me to drive my truck to Carlisle this year. I wonder how much it will cost for premium fuel at 13 mpg back and forth from Raleigh to Carlisle. I'll bet I can't afford it with my retiree's fixed income.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Raleigh to Carlisle is 380 miles. Let's estimate 15 mpg, that's 25.3 gallons, at $3.50 a gallon, the grand total is $88.67 each way.

NOW if you drive something that gets 25 mpg, 15.2 gallons, $3.50 a gallon, $53.20.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Anybody ever consider carpooling to Carlisle? Bring a buddy and now your 12mpg is 24...

Sad to see the Avalanche go, but I like the Impala much better than the Chrysler stuff. I'm guessing the 3.4 puts you about 16.8 in the 1/4.

I'm still not ready to make drastic measures just to save a couple bucks in gas.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

If gas ever gets so expensive that the Nova has to go, by all means let me know.

Maybe you mean truckpooling?

Walt - would you bring a car instead?
wxo

Post by wxo »

I'm just kidding about the gas prices keeping me away. Well, I guess I better reserve judgment on that until I see the prices in August.
There is, however, another problem that could effect my trip. I have developed a foot problem that won't let me walk too far without swelling and aching. I've gone to the Dr. and I'm doing stretching exercises and have pads for my shoes along with taking some naproxin for inflammation. Maybe you guys can pull me around in the wagon. We could mount a nice comfortable chair in it.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Sure sounds like the gout to me. I'm hoping for some serious improvement so you can join us.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker wrote:I did a recent tune-up to the GTP that included new plugs, wires, fuel filter, injector cleaner, cleaned the K&N (yeah, K&N), and changed the oil. I also installed four new struts. According the dash readout, I'm averaging 24 mpg in all-around driving over a couple weeks. I reset it this morning just as I got on the freeway and when I had gotten downtown, it had settled around 36mpg for pure-highway driving. I don't think I can hope for any more, and I'm pleased with that.

I've already reduced most of my driving to bare essentials. I stack up as many errands as I can in one trip, and try to combine routine errands with my commute. I only drive the truck when I need to haul something (10k miles in 2.5 years of ownership). Gas prices weren't much of a factor for the Chevelle until recently. It seems to only go to Thompson, or the occasional run to my parents house anymore.

Now that warm weather is here, I'll try to take advantage of my bike as much as is practical. I'll probably give it a tune-up too.

A trip to Andy's house for poker night is 80+ miles round trip. Averaging 24mpg, that's a 3+ gallon trip. At $4/gallon, it's over half my entry-fee just to go there! I would've never thought about it in those terms a year or two ago.

-Dave
Did my first long road trip in the GTP since the tune-up, and I'm very happy that the computer reported 29.2 mpg average for the approximately 600 mile round trip to Cincinnati and back this weekend, with speeds ranging from 70-80mph.

-Dave
markss327

Mileage

Post by markss327 »

I think that's pretty impressive.
3.8, all iron, and pressurized induction. Nice!
And over 100k miles.
AND, upon request, 14.20s (I may be off on that, I can't remember...)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Well gas is $3.75 here and I just measured 18mpg from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama. Did I mention I enjoy driving this thing?
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I paid $65 at $4.04/gallon for premium yesterday - and not at the most expensive place. Oh well, averaging 20.2 mpg with my 14 second machine.
markss327

Avalanche Sold

Post by markss327 »

Well, the Avalanche is history. Although, it's only three streets away.... and I still have a key... :twisted:
Seriously, she sold June 9th.

Now, with some working funds, the Nova gets a new exhaust. Hopefully, her last one. :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI