'70 F100

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: '70 F100

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:Hmmm, let's see. Do all that wiring, or shoot myself? Decisions, decisions....

-BP
Yeah, I know ... its a close call. :lol:

Guess that's why vendors can get $500 for a wiring harness for EFI transplants. If I can get the donor gauges to fit in the F100 dash it would simplify things a lot.

WXO and I are going to have another look at the Expedition donor tomorrow.
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Maverick wrote: Yep, that would be a good one. But, given I don't know squat about computer controlled fuel and ignition it would be better to start with a matched set -- engine, transmission, PCM, harnesses, and sensors in a running vehicle. A wrecked or rusted Mark 8 or maybe a 2WD Expedition with a 5.4L would make a nice donor. Would be good if the gauges transplanted too.
A complete donor is the way to go. No matter what kind of info you might get, i.e.- factory wiring diagrams or whatever else, the best is to disassemble and label connectors and harness' yourself (if possible).
When your looking at donor vehicles for the wiring, try to consider what you need and don't need for your truck. Also look to see if anythings been hacked at.

Simple things like length of wire harness and locations of plugs should be weighed in your decision.
Without knowing anything about these vehicles, a truck to truck swap might be better. Some of the mark 8 wiring might come up short or just be routed wrong for your needs. I mean
little things like windshield washer pump wiring, wipers, turn signals etc etc. It would suck to have to extend alot of stuff- plus it looks hack- imo
edit: clarification
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Went back this morning to check a couple of things on the '02 Expedition. Had to tell them I just can't get it together to get that setup right now. Too much going on. I know I'm going to regret not getting it because everything is there and unmolested. Just have to wait for another one I guess. 2WD isn't going to be easy to find again. Oh well, I have lots to do before the engine could go in so there's time to look.

Chris, in addition to the engine, transmission, all accessories, computer and wiring harnesses I'd like to get the gauge cluster, cruise control, radiator, and AC condenser. I think I'll be able to adapt the guage cluster to the F100 dash. Need to check to see if there's a seperate transmission computer.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Today I'm having second thoughts about EFI and computer controlled everything. I think year 2000 vehicles don't just run wires between divices but have busses that transmit messages between devices like a local area network. Maybe even more than one buss. That doesn't sound like fun when some of the devices are missing. This will take some looking into.

Think I'll have a better chance of getting it done with the old-timey stuff. Today a '94-'97 Ford truck roller tappet 351W/5.8L-based 427 stroker is sounding like more fun. Carb, distributor, and aftermarket aluminum heads. Broader Performance beefed-up AOD with lock-up TC. 3.73 limited slip Explorer 8.8" rear and Crown Vic steering and suspension. Sure would be simpler and maybe 50 more RWHP and close to the 12s again. 8)

I'll let it percolate for three weeks and see where I am in late August. No hurry -- there are several months of work on the body and chassis before decisions are required on engine and transmission. And, six more weeks of too-hot weather in front of us.
Last edited by Maverick on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Maverick wrote:

Chris, in addition to the engine, transmission, all accessories, computer and wiring harnesses I'd like to get the gauge cluster, cruise control, radiator, and AC condenser. I think I'll be able to adapt the guage cluster to the F100 dash. Need to check to see if there's a seperate transmission computer.
That is exactly the stuff I was talking about. Cruise and A/C would be soooo nice. (cruise is on my wish list..I'll find a set up soon)
Maverick wrote:Today I'm having second thoughts about EFI and computer controlled everything. I think year 2000 vehicles don't just run wires between divices but have busses that transmit messages between devices like a local area network. Maybe even more than one buss. That doesn't sound like fun when some of the devices are missing. This will take some looking into.

That complicates things. The thing about my swap is its kinda old school (for an h2o VW) I just had to figue out where to mount the Corrado ECU... Than I found where VW would have put it. They made it "easy" for me.
Your swap is pretty much another level. There's a lot of years between the those 2 trucks. VW guys are putting in year 2000 or newer drivelines in older cars like mine. But those are way more involved- I.E. Drive by wire pedal clusters, fabricating there own mounts. Crazy stuff. I just don't see the fun in getting that into a VW swap. (there not much, if at all any quicker)
Maverick wrote: Think I'll have a better chance of getting it done with the old-timey stuff. Today a '94-'97 Ford truck roller tappet 351W/5.8L-based 427 stroker is sounding like more fun. Carb, distributor, and aftermarket aluminum heads. Broader Performance beefed-up AOD with lock-up TC. 3.73 limited slip Explorer 8.8" rear and Crown Vic steering and suspension. Sure would be simpler and maybe 50 more RWHP and close to the 12s again. 8)
That sounds more fun to me! Reading schematics for hours on end, gets old to me. I'd rather turn wrenches than trace wires. I'm just now remembering those frustrating times I had "playing" with wires.
Cruise and A/C could be adapted to that 1994 -1997 set -up fairly easy, I would think.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Nothing changed from last night -- still feel like a 427 stroker and (non-electronic) AOD would be more fun and have a better chance of getting done.

Need to find a COMPLETE 351W to get the accessories, pulleys and brackets off the front end and to use for a mock up for mounts, etc.

Hope to get the truck tomorrow but haven't got confirmation from the guy with the trailer. May have to pull it with a dolly.
Maverick
Maverick

GOT IT!!!

Post by Maverick »

Friend Jay, president of the (sorta) local all Ford club, hauled the F100 home for me today. Jay's sons, John and Jeremy, WXO and I got 'er done. It was pretty hot buy we survived.

Ready to go on the trailer.

Winch needs a little help. :D

Its on!!

Whoops! Didn't see THAT Bondo before.

Stop for lunch at Denny's.

Made it home. :mrgreen:

THIS is going to be fun!! 8)

I THINK wifey approves. :wink:

I'm too old to be pushing that truck around in this heat!! Glad its Miller time!! :mrgreen:
Maverick
Maverick

Little Cleaner and an Aux Fuel Tank

Post by Maverick »

Got the power sprayer out and cleaned it outside, inside, and under the hood. It looks a little more respectable now and will be a lot more pleasant to work on. Got some Mud Wasps fired up when their mud huts went away. Got one with 3500 PSI when he was objecting. :evil:

Ripped out the carpet and found holes in the floor. :( Don't think they will be hard to fix-- might not even require any bends in the patches. Patch panels are available if needed but I don't think they'll be necessary. I probably didn't rip up the carpet before I bought it because I didn't want to be discouraged. Doesn't seem like a big deal now.

WXO came over "for another look" but brought an auxillary fuel tank and protection panel left over from the '69 Camper Special. :D I've been reading the Ford truck forum and know that those tanks are just about impossible to find. Guys use them to eliminate the behind the seat tank when they can find one. Some guys are nervous about having the fuel tank that close and it also makes a little storage behind the seat. Aftermarket storage racks/cabinets are available to go in the place of the tank.

It might be too long to fit in the short bed frame but, if it is, I'm thinking I can section it to fit. Made my day!!! :mrgreen:
Maverick
Maverick

Side Mount Spare and 5.8L Engine

Post by Maverick »

Not a lot of activity on the F100 right now. Wife and I are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary Saturday. Guests start arriving on Tuesday, TBSS vs Sprint rematch on Thursday evening, and party on Sat nite so not a lot of time for the F100.

Drove over to Charlotte yesterday to pick up a rear fender with the indentation for a side-mounted spare. it has a little rust repair on the bottom front which I'll have to redo.

Now I hafta find the side mount for the spare wheel. http://www.midfifty.com is an online seller of old Ford truck parts. They're having the mount reproduced and I'm on their list. They also have at least one used one that is being used or has been used as a pattern for the repops. Might buy a used one of the used ones from them. Currently checking it out.

The Sprint needed a little run just to make sure its ready for Thursday. :mrgreen: Went up to my favorite junk yard to see if they have the parts needed for the f100. No '03 or newer Crown Vics but they do have a roller tappet 5.8L/351CI Windsor engine in a DEMOLISHED F150. Engine doesn't appear to be hurt. The engine is very clean and the oil looks good. I can get it complete for $550. They also have a number of disk brake Explorer rear ends so there's a good chance one will be what I want. $200 disk-disk. I'll also check the price for the Explorer rear end at LKQ (NOT my favorite junk yard).
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Ordered a used side mount spare bracket. Paid WAY too much but its supposed to be in very good condition. We'll see.

Also put a deposit on the 5.8L engine. Said I'd pull it -- that way I can save all the wiring, fasteners, etc. WXO, you up for some junk yardin' in the next week or two? I'm in no hurry to get it but wanted to lock up the deal before someone else buys it.
Maverick
Maverick

Engine Pull and Transmission Thoughts

Post by Maverick »

I want an automatic overdrive transmission in the F100. Current thinking is to set the 5.8L engine up with carb and MSD ignition. Since there would be no ECM, the first thought was to get a non-electronic AOD transmission. But, with a little reading, I'm finding that the AOD is pretty weak and would fail quickly behind the coveted 400+ HP 5.8L engine. The electronic AODE is stronger and the successor 4R70W stronger yet, even the ones behind a V6. And, there are allegedly lots of the 4R70Ws to be found for cheap.

The AOD can be made strong but the cost to do that appears to be more than the cost of a good used 4R70W AND a controller. With the controller, the shift points, upshift RPMs, shift firmness and TC lock up can be easily adjusted and some will even log trans temp, RPMs, speed, speed "gain" for wheel spin, ...

Might be the way to go. I put a couple of online references in the "Reference" forum if anyone is interested.

WXO and I plan to at least start removing the 5.8L from the '95 F150 on Monday. Depending on our tolerance of the heat we might bring it home or go back another day.
Maverick
Maverick

Got it home

Post by Maverick »

WXO and I had a fun day today. We pulled the 5.8L/351W engine out of the SMASHED '95 F150.

It rained most of the night and stopped just as we arrived at the junk yard. The great guys at the yard hauled the truck out to the front and placed it one a high spot with some concrete. The truck was bent up in the middle and we were able to crawl under it to do our stuff. Our job was eased because the transmission and exhuast pipes had already been pulled. Studs were NOT broken in the exhaust manifolds. :D

Since ALL the sheet metal was smashed, we didn't feel bad about Sawz-Alling anything that was in our way. Radiator support was cut on each side and bent down to make room for the engine pull.

"Peanut", the guy who knows what's up in the yard, picked the engine up and set it down in the trailer.

We strapped it down.

And got it home.

We tried to lift the engine out of the trailer with WXO's "people lifter" but it was bending rather than lifting.

It was rated for a 400 lb person so I thought surely it would have a 2X safety factor. Nope. I guess the fully assembled 5.8 weighs about 500 lbs so not much of a safety factor.

So, we hauled my son's engine lift out of the shed and put the engine on my son's engine stand. :) We nearly had more excitement than we wanted. As we were moving
the engine/engine stand into the garage WXO spotted a wheel coming off. :shock: C-clip that holds the wheel on was gone. Got my Carlisle C-clip assortment out and put another one on. It lasted about two feet and it was bent and fell off. We got the engine on the stand in the garage by slipping the wheel back in place every foot or two and I later made a repair.

While we were unloading the engine, the big brown truck brought my used bracket and reinforcements for the side mount spare.

It was a fun day. Tomorrow morning I'm picking up a free 4R70W transmission with broken internals. Plan to empty it out and use it to mock up the transmission mount and re-shaped (if necessary) transmission hump in the floor.
Maverick
Maverick

300 Six Runs!!

Post by Maverick »

Installed some new points (that my son left in the truck), hooked up some jumper cables to the Explorer, turned the engine with the starter for a while to prime the oil, pulled the rubber hose off the fuel line from the tank and stuck it in a small plastic bucket with gas in it, hot wired the coil, filled the radiator, and it would run on starter fluid but no gas to the carb. Pulled the top off the carb and checked the inlet and needle valve. Seemed to be working OK so put the top back on. It runs for the first time in about seven years. :D It sounds really good. ZERO valve noise even when first started. Wonder if it has solid lifters??

Put an ad up on CR -- $300 for complete engine and transmission. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3222533200.html If I get $275 that's half of the cost of the 5.8L.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You might want to mention inline 6, and the first line says it's a 5.9. Do you know the year?

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

A quick picture might help too. I typically sort by ads with pictures, for cars more than parts but it wouldn't hurt.
Matt Sutter