1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Post by Fred32v »

Looking forward to seeing the the new pictures.

Now, no one will suspect that there is 50 gallons of moonshine in the truck. :wink:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Maverick has moonshine in the trunk????? :shock: He never offered me any.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

No pictures of the lower front end yet. The boat ramps are busy this time of year. I'll snap a pic in my driveway. Its sloped so not a perfect spot to show the stance but it'll give some idea.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Took it out for a ride and am very pleased with the result of the coil cut. :D I can see over the hood better, top of the tire is at the top of the front wheel opening, and the rear end no longer looks like it needs new springs. Jounce is 3" off the frame. Before the cut, it didn't look like the jounce and frame had every been introduced. No degradation of ride or handling.

Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

What great satisfaction when your hard work and planning show the results you expected!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

It looks perfect!!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It does look sweet.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Thanks.

Next problem is dim low-beam headlights. Voltage drop with lights on is just .9 volts. Grounds are good. 12 gauge jumper from battery to bulb makes little difference so better wires with relays won't help much. The current Halogen headlights are two low-beams and 4 high-beams. High-beams are great.

Gonna go to 4 2-filament (low-beam) Halogens, 12 gauge wires, and relays to get 4 low-beams. That will light up the night.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Replaced the inboard, high beam only headlight bulbs with high/low bulbs. Did the new wiring with total redundancy for the high and low beam circuits, 30 amp self resetting circuit breakers, relays and grounds. Couldn't quite finish for lack of one terminal to connect the power wire to the battery but it's connected temporarily.

After dark, I took it around the neighbor hood to check on headlight aim. Looks close but I'll check it further when its not storming.

Four low beam bulbs do a good job of lighting the road.
Maverick
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

That car is so slick.
Nice work Maverick.
Matt Sutter
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Thanks, Matt.

Actually, I took it around the NEIGHBORHOOD, not the "neighbor hood". :mrgreen: The neighbor hood might have objected to me driving around him. That post could have appeared on the misspellings thread. :roll:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Prestige Motorsports, the guys that built the 347 for the Maverick, did this video on boiling alcohol blend gasoline. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadNfSN ... dium=email . They're installing an in-tank fuel pump with return line as the solution. Their experience is consistent with the problems the Lincoln was having.

So far this Summer, there have been no fuel vaporization issues with the in-tank pump and bypass regulator in the Lincoln. :)
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Prestige is seeing a lot of fuel vaporization issues. My message to them and their response follows. Issues reported on the web are not limited to vehicles. Small motors too.

Thank you for the feedback, Jim. Glad you got your vapor issues taken care
of. We hear of people battling this on a daily basis.

Prestige Motorsports, Inc.
5110 Davidson Highway
Concord, NC 28027

To: sales@prestigemoto.com
Subject: Contact Form Submission: Arnold Jim

You have recieved a new message. Here are the details:
Service Interested In: Other
Message: Just watched your video on fuel vaporization issues and
solutions for alcohol blend gasoline. I was having those problems last
Summer with my '78 Lincoln with 521 BBF. Everything in your video rang
true. I also solved (I think) the problems with an in-tank pump and
recirculating regulator. Good video on a problem lots of people must be
having.
Name: Jim Arnold
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The previous owner installed a combination GPS/audio/backup camera system by Kenwood. Backup camera hasn't worked since I've had the car. WXO came over this afternoon and we figured it out -- a failed camera. Found a new camera only, not a whole system, at Best Buy and one store nearby had it in stock. Picked it up, WXO came back, and we got it replaced. Not a great backup camera, it reminds me of 1950s TV. Quite blury but its functional. I wonder if the LONG cable is degrading the signal?? The video cable is plenty long enough to reach the front of the car and, rather than try to cut it and graft the RCA plug onto the shorter cable, I just coiled it up and attached it to the cable that's already run to the trunk. Or, maybe the coil is degrading the signal?

Also took the Lincoln out after dark to do a final check on the headlight aim. Its fine.

Two jobs done. (Unless the long, coiled video cable is a problem.)
Maverick
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I had a camera that I mounted in the back of my cargo van. The camera was mounted up high. I ran the wire along the passenger side above the sliding door and then I had to go straight down to the floor and under the carpeting up front before coming up under the dash. That had to be 25 feet of cable with a couple of splices and a couple of connectors. My video signal was fine. If you have a bunch extra at the back, you might be a bit longer, but my guess is the cable is not your problem.