406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

markss327 wrote:December 7

The trans cooler plumbing is now on 'Plan B'. Still working on how I want to run the lines thru the core support. I'm gona attempt to 'hard line' the cooler. We'll see what my tube bending abilities are! Also, the trans filler tube has always been an issue with this car. The bends in the tube itself, never matched the contour of the firewall. The tube never fit 'square' into the trans. Consequently, I've always has a leak where the tube goes into the trans.
For doing the trans lines, I'd try getting some aluminum line. Summit sells it for use as fuel line, but I don't see why it couldn't work for trans lines. It's so easy to work with -- *much* easier than steel.

As for your trans tube, can yours be re-bent, or do you need something new to fix that?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 9

The ignition wire loom is complete. The trans cooler is done. A new battery is in, and it'll crank. :D
If I were graded on my tube bending, I'd probably get a C-. Plan B was implemented. I used 5/16 steel line, double flared the ends and, well, it aint pretty...... Two hours to come up with one piece.... It took three attempts. Now waiting on Summit to deliver a Locar trans filler tube. It's 24in long, braided steel, firewall mount. There was no way I could get a hard steel tube to fit properly. I'm racking my brain, what else needs to be done. What am I forgetting?

I think - with the trans filler tube, and tranny filled, it's ready to fire.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I assume you have a tube bending tool.

If the corner is too sharp, get a 90 degree fitting and cut and flare the line.

How do you heat the garage?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

markss327 wrote:December 9

I'm racking my brain, what else needs to be done. What am I forgetting?

I think - with the trans filler tube, and tranny filled, it's ready to fire.
Oil in the crankcase? Coolant in the radiator? Fuel in the tank?

Do we need to send a TireSmoke.Org camera over there for the first fire-up?

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Got oil, got coolant, got gas, now 8 months old.....
Yup, got a tubing bender. I had to learn the technique on how to use it, hence the two failed attempts !!!

The initial fire-up will just be Colleen (at the ignition) and myself. A TSO (TireSmoke.org) camera will be welcome - after I get all the required adjustments done. Believe me, I'll keep ya'll posted on that event. :D Best possible scenario - she makes noise, tomorrow ???? - Saturday ???

=======

The garage is attached to the house. I have a 26k btu Resnor (sp?) hanging in the corner. I keep it set to 45deg (the lowest the digital thermostat will go). I'll run it up to 52 or so, if I'm gona be out there a couple of hours. Last couple days, I left it at 45. With two shirts, it's not to bad.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 12

She runs!!!!
Last night, about 7:15 or so, she came to life. The initial fire had a miss, and wouldn't idle. After about 90 seconds, she died, and I preceded to flood it. With my emotions in overdrive, and no beer..... I let her sit for an hour. When I returned, I checked the obvious. All wires were securely attached at each end, but the order was off. I had the last two, 7-2, backwards. Once that was corrected, the timing needed to be backed off a bit, and she started right up. I let her run for about 15 minutes @ 2000rpm, all the while checking for leaks and the like. Before I shut her down, I backed the idle down to 900-1000, oil psi was 55lbs, and the battery was at 14v. So far, so good.

I immediately drained the oil. My magnetic drain plug was a bit 'fuzzy', as to be expected. Fresh oil/filter is in. I have an exhaust leak at the manifold/head pipe (donut) area. A trans leak is noticeable at the trans, where the cooling lines are. I feel another lifter adjustment is in order. This should all get corrected this evening.

Still remaining, is all the body assembly. That can happen anytime.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 16

It's been a busy week with the holidays coming and all. I've fixed the exhaust and trans leak. I started her back up and with the quieter exhaust, I realized another lifter adjustment is needed. Also, I feel it may be a bit lean. I backed out the idle mixture screws a full turn, and immediately noticed an improvement in idle quality. Larger primary jets are probably needed too. About 5 minutes was all the wife could handle, as the new engine aroma was entering the house. I'm off the week of the 26th. That will give me some time to re install the fenders and front end stuff.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Spring Carlisle 2006

Post by Fred32v »

Hope you took pictures with the fenders off. I'm sure there are plenty of Nova parts at Spring Carlisle '06. Might even be a good time to break that motor in. 300 miles each way, perfect. Or think of all the parts you could haul with that big truck of yours. Grins!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The Nova sits quietly in the garage, on jack stands, and still in need of front end body work install. Kinda at a stand-still
I don't really have an explanation as to why. The last two weeks, she's been ignored. :(
Anyway, I've been searching ebay for power steering. The '62-'67 power steering design is that of a 'slave cylinder' vs the power assist gear-box that's common today. Complete bolt on assemblies are going for $250-$350 depending on condition. I have a slave cylinder and a power steering specific center link coming. One bid - me - $9.90. We'll see what it's like when it arrives. I'll still need some brackets and probably have to have an oil pan fabricated $$$. OEM V8 Novas of this aria, were front sump. The P/S pump assembly that I can use, is rather generic. Any SBC lower drivers side, will fit. Hoses will be another issue. So, now I need to focus my attention back to fender install and the like.

The 700r will probably be a project for next winter.

Yes, I have pics of the fender-less Nova. I'll have to scan and post 'em.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

February 1st

The Nova is at a standstill. Y'all have heard that before, right?

I got involved with a bathroom upgrade at home. It first started out as just a re-paint. Then new window and shower curtains. Then the vanity got painted. THEN, a new floor.... To do the floor, the toilet had to come out. I dreaded that. I really hate plumbing. Any time you have water, under pressure, you're asking for a leak......
Anyway, with the commode in the spar bedroom.... a new subfloor went down. Then 'peal 'n stick' squares went down.
I have to admit, Colleen did a nice job with the squares. The commode is back in, and so far, no leaky. All that's left, are some metal strips at the doors, where the hall carpet meets the new bathroom floor.

I've made in known - NO more home projects, until the Nova hits the road. Period.

====

My son Dan, now owns an ATV. At age 7, he has a 90cc Honda 'clone'. It's a 'knock off'. Made in China, shipped directly to the house, steel framed crate and all. Put the tires on, raise the handle bars, charge and install the battery, and add gas. At first, it ran OK..... but dad just had to have a look at the Mikuni. A week on the mixture and idle screws, and a big improvement. The throttle can be governed, and I have it set to about half it's travel. Even so, it'll still spin the tires on turf..... Imagine what my yard is gona look like......
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Must be a time for bathrooms. Just finished the bathroom off the kitchen. The wall paper was removed, ceiling and walls were primed and two coats of paint finished the deal. No plumbing.
I wonder how long it will take your son to figure out how to re-adjust the governor. Boys will be boys, isn't it great. First an ATV then ........
Glad to hear the SS327 is back on track.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Nova Update April 3, 2006.

I've decided to pass on the door hinge repair. The lower hinges need replaced, ($56 each) not just rebuilt. An adjustment now on both doors, has them closing nicely.

This trans cooler is killing me. I hung the fenders, and placed the grill, and now have interference - grill to cooler. Now onto plan D, or whatever.... I have an idea\plan, but.... we'll see.

Both Dave and I have given ourselves a 'Deadline' of tax day - April 15th. I feel I may have the advantage, as mine runs... :)

Next weekend, April 7-8-9, Colleen and Dan are off to a 'Mother/Son' camp out with the Cub Scouts. What this means to me - I have from Friday 7pm, to Sunday noon, to do nothing but wrench. :)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

April 4

Made some progress on the trans cooler. I'm now using a larger one than originally installed. It's a Modine unit I picked up at a swap meet about 15 years ago. It's got a Chrysler logo - the Pentax star along with a part number, ink stamped on it. It's huge. I think the original application was for 1500/2500 Dodge trucks with the tow package. My '96 Dodge had the same unit. My neighbor - yet another Nova guy ('71 355 with duel quad tunnel ram....) helped modify the brackets. He's maintenance/fabricator for NASA. Anyway, It's now recessed in the core support, about 1/2 inch in front of the engine radiator. It's mounted, but not plumed yet. My deadline has moved up a week. With Colleen and Daniel on a Cub Scout campout this weekend..... provided no surprises, or breakage..... I'm thinking I should have tire smoking capabilities by Saturday (4-8-06) afternoon. :)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

April 10

Over the weekend, all the body work came together. She looks like a real car again. The trans cooler issue has been put to bed. She made it out the driveway, and down the street. But wait - she's only hitting on seven cylinders. A definite miss. Back in the garage. A compression check, shows all holes at 150-160lbs. Checked all the wires with an Ohm meeter, and found all OK. Replaced the cap and rotor with used ones, and 'rotated' the plugs - still missing. The plugs show a suspect #2 cylinder. So, if all the ignition stuff is so order, and I've got compression....

Correct me if I'm wrong. Fuel, spark, compression. You have these, it'll run. Soooo, I'm not getting fuel one cylinder? I don't think so, unless one intake runner is stuffed with who knows what.

I'm now into the valve train. I had some collapsed lifters upon initial startup. Maybe I've incorrectly adjusted the rockers. If a collapsed lifter was set, and it's still collapsed, this would prohibit a valve from opening sufficiently to allow combustion, yet may still provide a valid compression reading. I guessing here.

Any thoughts?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This is odd. First the easy one: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I have heard of similar problems where 5 and 7 are crossed.

Assuming you already checked that 3 times, I could guess that a bad lifter may cause this problem. When the engine is off during compression test, the valve is closing all the way because there is not that much oil pressure.

When it is running the lifter pumps up a little and the valve does not close all the way. If the intake valve was hanging open it would backfire into the carb, so it must be exhaust.

Another longshot: Could it be the pickup ring in the distributor (assuming you are not on points)? If you move the distributor (say 90 or 180 degrees) and move all the wires, you could see if a different cylinder has the problem.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]