1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I got the title and got the temp tags. They'll be shipping out tomorrow so look for them later in the week. Then Walt can finally take her out for a nice spin, get some fresh gas, and see if she can kick that smoking habit :)
wxo

Post by wxo »

Since Tiresmoke has been a little quiet lately, I'll give you something to read. I've done some puttzing in the last few days. New hood struts are on and the driver's door handle is installed (what a relief!). I still have to install the inside door parts after I lube the linkage etc. When I get the license plate, I'm going to put a coupla gallons of gas in 'er and head for I-540. I'm hoping the high dose of Techtron will do it's work.
I could tell you about all the stuff I've done toward the completion of our sun room, but who on this list would want to know about it.
wxo

Post by wxo »

After receiving the 30-day tag from Matt, I decided to take the Formula out for a spin. Before leaving I wanted to finish assembling the driver's inner door panel and to check the oil. After lubing the window tracks and door latching mechanism, I had to reattach with pop rivets the window felt on the top of the inner panel. I also re-glued some of the fabric that was coming loose. When that was done, I checked the oil and found it way over full. Well, I couldn't very well take a run like that, so I jumped in the Jeep and hit Advance Auto for some oil, an oil filter, and a gasket for the leaking oil plug. After the oil change and adding about a quart of transmission fluid, it was time to go.

Remember that I had dumped a container of Techtron into an almost empty gas tank? Well, guess what? Engines don't run real well on Techtron. The two mile trip to the gas station was kind of touch and go. I wasn't sure I was going to make it and it died as I pulled up to the pump. Ten gallons of premium later I was good to go. It wasn't long before the Techtron was diluted enough to run down the road.

I took 'er out on the Interstate for a coupla exits and she ran well as long the the rpms were above idle speed. Once she got into overdrive and settled down, the stumbling started every time. The Check Engine Light came on during this time, then went out after a while. I'm hoping there will be some clue in the code that will lead me to the answer to this richness at idle. I'll check it out the next chance I get.

During the run, the left hand headlight suddenly popped up from the wind pressure. I didn't know if it was going to leave me or not. It didn't. When I slowed down, it went back down into position. Just another thing to add to the fix-it list.
Fred32v

Steady Progress

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like progress to me. Can hardy wait to see what the codes are. that should help. :?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think with the light back off that you will have a hard time getting the code on an OBDI car. If you get it, let me know how because I've never had any luck unless the light was on.

-BP
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Hrmm... with it still stumbling in overdrive and after being warmed up, I'm guessing that eliminates most temperature or flow related sensors. So that still leaves fuel delivery i.e. injectors or fuel pump or O2 sensor? Remember, my title here is for a reason, so just asking.

Given the mileage on this vehicle, is there a point where it's best to just replace those parts based on unknown condition and for long-term? If so, is it a good idea to consider upgrades on the fuel delivery side? I can't imagine you can go a lot bigger on injectors or pump without a reprogramming. Maybe 10-20%? I know the current goal is just to get it running right, so I am not looking to go crazy here. Just thinking outloud.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

On my 87 V6 Camaro I had a problem that sounds similar. On that car it was the mass air flow sensor in the intake ahead of the throttle body. Rick from Rick's Garage told me that if I tapped on the sensor at idle and the engine hesitated it was time for a new sensor. Sure enough that was the problem - a new sensor and I was good to go.

Not sure of the sensor config on the V8
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That's an 89 TPI, which I believe was the last year for MAF on TPI V8s, so that's a possibility. Doing the tap-on-sensor test is easy enough.

Another possibility to consider is the IAC motor
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I've been out of town and WXO has been swamped. So the local shop took a look and it looks like the TPS and MAF both need replaced (confirmed by shop). A little pricey, but what do you expect after so many miles. TPS is already in and MAF will be in soon. That should be all the major stuff needed to make it roady worthy - not bad.

WXO plans on a little bit of a clean up prior to the road trip and maybe a few other odds and ends. There is a small exhaust leak, but that will likely just wait to get fixed via upgrade. Delivery looks like March or April. Once again, thanks to WXO for all the help!
wxo

Another step forward

Post by wxo »

I got the MAF sensor today and installed it. Matt, I was able to buy it through your AutoZone card and the warranty is assigned to you.
Here are the results...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WUOQIcVe14E

I took it up the road for a short spin and it ran great! This is quite encouraging!

When I got back I parked it and then tried to restart it again right away. It wouldn't start. Just kept cranking. It looks like it fails to start when it's hot. After it cools it starts just fine as you can see in the video. I think I'll check out the adjustment on the TPS when I get a chance.

I don't hear as much exhaust noise as I did before I took it over to John. He must have tweaked it a bit. I guess he couldn't stand it either. It was rather obnoxious. It's not too bad now.
Fred32v

OK!

Post by Fred32v »

Great video and sound. Even more progress! I know nothing, but maybe it thinks the car is still cold.
I wonder if it was flooded? I can hardly wait for the next installment.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I am SOOO excited. Great news. My girlfriend says "YAY!" Feel free to drive that around for a few days since you have time left on the tags. I'm sure it could still use some miles.
wxo

Post by wxo »

OK, now that we've gotten this far, there's still more to do.
1) Starting problem needs attention.
2) Passenger side door handle has now given up the ghost. I'll get a new one on order.
3) Driver's side headlight is just hanging in there by a thread. Need to see about getting a rebuilt one. (not cheap) I haven't even tried the headlights. I hope the right side works.
4) Replace battery
5) Put interior back together.
6) Got a tranny fluid leak. Not sure how serious that is. Maybe only needs some pan bolts tightened. Need to check it out.

I'm sure I'll find much more as I attend to these things. Stand by...
markss327

F-Body 101

Post by markss327 »

Sounds nice. Things are starting to come around.
Don't know if I can handle a TSO F-body convention.... :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I did do some reading on the cold start condition and a bad battery can be the problem in getting the fuel pump going. I didn't post since I thought the new battery was in.

If you can time the road trip right, headlights will be less of an issue. If the motors are shot, you can just keep them open. And I'd imagine the interior will need a refresh too, so you only need to worry about enough for the road trip as well.