Cadillac

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Good and bad rear end news. The good news is that it definitely is a 3.21 gear ratio as opposed to the 2.94 as comes standard. The bad news is that it's no heavier duty than what I have, so I'll still have to be pretty careful if and when I race it. I'm thinking it's not going to see the track until somewhere around October, so I can enjoy cruising it all year. If I break this mid-summer, I'll be Cadillac-less for the remainder.

Should be in by the end of next week, or for sure on that Saturday.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, the 3.21 gear is solidly in place and working well. The performance is definitely better, but the traction is worse (not necessarily a bad problem to have).

I've got about 40 miles on it so far and all is good. Car got washed, oil got changed, front end lubed, air pressures up, and we're ready for cruising!

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Did you do anything to correct the speedo?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's not off by much. Bob was following me on Sunday morning, and at 60mph I'm doing about 65 on the speedo, so not that big of a change. I don't think I'll do anything at this point that won't screw it up in the other direction.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Starting to think about camshafts...

-BP

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I ordered my cam and related goodies yesterday. :D

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The cam and related goodies have arrived. I began to tear it apart yesterday and got as far as pulling the intake off, draining the coolant, removing the valve covers, and getting one header loose. Hopefully I can have the heads off before next weekend so I can get them to the shop for some modification.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, it's officially as apart as it's going to be. There's some clean up, a few items to gather,
and parts will start going back together.

-BP
ImageImage
ImageImage
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Looks perty clean to me.
Gona put some chrome valve covers on it? :lol:
Last edited by markss327 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah, the chrome valve covers I got are necessary to clear the new longer ratio rockers. More pics to come this week as I begine reassembly.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The cam is in, degreed (for what that's worth), the heads and valve train are in, and hopefully this week the rest will be together. Planning to start it next weekend hopefully.

-BP

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The front of the motor is together, the intake and valve covers are on. The headers need to be attached, the accessories are not on, the radiator needs to go in and the electric fan(s) attached, and I need to put the the new gauges in.
Some things that took extra time were making a tool to drive the harmonic balancer hub on. I had to grind each bolt for the valve covers since the washers were too big for the new chromies. I've had the oil pump off three times since I learned I needed to prime it before starting. I had to make an oil pump shaft drive tool to check my priming (which did work). I had to screw around at the parts store to get the right grommets and PCV valve for the new valve covers.

SO far it's been fun, but things take time... closing in on the finish, some pictures to come.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

IT RUNS!

I was thrashing all day today and around 5:30 called 32v as I could see the end was near and was looking for a helping hand when I restarted the car.

So we got it fired, adjusted the timing while running as the headers began to glow red. I've also got the oil pressure and temp gauges hooked up. This is the first time I've seen any vital signs of my engine before. It appears to have a 195 thermostat and seems to run between 38-40psi worth of oil pressure at 2000rpms and about 20psi at idle. So where do I find a cooler thermostat? This may be a challange. Somewhere mostmint gave me a thermostat from a small block chevy. I've been told they're the same, but have not tested the theory. All in due time...

This week I'll change the oil, mount the gauges (they're laying on the floor), and take it for a spin or two. I hope the carburetor is close, but I believe I'll have to richen it up before it's over with.

-PC
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's a couple motor shots. I drove it tonight. I definitely lost a little bottom end, but the pull on the high end is way better. I took it to 5400, and it was pulling strong, and once I get the carb fattened up and the timing rechecked, I may go to 5600 or more if it will help. So far, no problems except maybe a battery that needs to be charged from sitting too long.

And a picture of my assistant, laying down on the job...

-BP
wxo

Wide glide

Post by wxo »

Good pictures, BP. I didn't realize how wide that engine is. No wonder you don't see Caddy motors swapped into other bodies.
I believe your Grandfather is lookin' at his old Caddy and smilin' with pride.