'70 F100

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: '70 F100

Post by Maverick »

TireSmoker wrote:
Maverick wrote: Is it OK to refer guys from the Ford Truck Forum to this posting to see the pictures?I was trying to get a lot of pics online so I can solicit opinions on the value of the truck. If that's a problem I won't do it.
Not a problem at all. I have no idea what kind of bandwidth usage limits we have, but I've never gotten a notice or extra charge. Link away.

-Dave
Dave,

That's good to know but I was able to post links to images. Didn't have to refer anyone to TS.org. No attachments allowed there till you have 25 posts and I won't have that many for a while.

Jim
Maverick
Maverick

Revisited and it still looks good

Post by Maverick »

WXO and I went back to have another look at the F100. I wanted to check a few things I didn't look at on the first trip. It still looks good -- nothing discouraging. I'm going to upload some pictures here so I can post links to them on the Ford Truck forum.

Front, underside of the hood has surface rust but no holes to repair.

Cab mounts are solid.

Radiator support is in good shape.

We also verified that the tires had enough air to roll the truck and we jacked it up to make sure the brake drums weren't frozen to the shoes. No problems.

WXO did spot one 2" rusty area in a piece at the top of the passenger side apron. Gotta check but I think it might be a bolt on piece. Will have to look to see if its being reproduced. If not, it would be a very simple area to patch.

So, the count down to launch is proceeding. :)
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/3141838684.html

A good start?

-BP
Yep, that would be a good one. But, given I don't know squat about computer controlled fuel and ignition it would be better to start with a matched set -- engine, transmission, PCM, harnesses, and sensors in a running vehicle. A wrecked or rusted Mark 8 or maybe a 2WD Expedition with a 5.4L would make a nice donor. Would be good if the gauges transplanted too.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WXO and I checked out the NC State surplus and confiscated vehicles and other stuff today. There was a '99 F150 with the 5.4L Triton engine, two 4.6 Tritons and several Crown Vics. Even a few '03 or later that would be good donors for the CV steering and suspension. Bought about 15 Swiss Army knives for $6. I like them but I lose them in a matter of weeks.

I'm going to check out a couple of possibilites for used car dealers and salvage operations to see if I can work out a deal for me to buy the car for them (I would bid the value of the parts I need) and take what I need from it. Wife has agreed to bringing the F100 home (as our 4th vehicle) but not any additional parts vehicles. Think I have to go along with that. :)

Have a guy that will haul the F100 the 50 miles from my son's house to mine. We'll try to get a plan to move it a week from Saturday. Plan to get it here, clean it up, get it running, and see where we go from there.

I'd like to find a 5.4L Triton Ford truck engine. Its a 2V SOHC but with 350 lb-ft of torque at 2500 RPM. :shock: Would be fun in the F100. :mrgreen: There's one in a junk yard nearby but haven't gotten a price on it yet. The '99 F150 we looked at has one but don't think it will sell for anything near what I would bid. Might do a low ball bid just to get my feet wet.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had a 5.4 in an F250 2wd truck and it moved along smartly, and I was able to get it up to over 19mpg driving back and forth to work. In that little truck you'd surely get over 20mpg and easily have a mid 15 sec truck that would pull anything you could throw at it. Oh yeah, mine had a 3.73 gear with 10 ply tires.

http://www.tiresmoke.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1040

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

ET calculator suggests 13.9 sec for 260 RWHP (Triton 5.4 rating) and 3500 lbs (3160 original curb weight). :?: Hope we find out. :mrgreen:

Edit: OOPS, had the wrong curb weight. ET calculator suggests 14.2 for 260 RWHP and 3800 lbs (3475 original curb weight). It'll need some more HP. 8)
Maverick
Maverick

Fast N Loud Project

Post by Maverick »

Anyone watch Fast N Loud tonight on the Discovery channel? They did this project!! An F100 with Crown Vic front suspension and steering, Mark VIII DOHC engine (although I'm now leaning toward Triton 5.4L), and 8.8" Ford rear axle. They put $30K into it in one week and sold it at auction for $50. (Ran upstairs to tell the wife the selling price. :lol: )

The 5" drop from the CV front end and from moving the rear axle over the leaf springs lowered it just right I thought.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw it last night. That truck was pretty sweet. I don't really care for the owner of the shop, but the vehicles they produce are cool. So I guess you only need to put $30k into yours and you'll be fine. :wink:

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:I saw it last night. That truck was pretty sweet. I don't really care for the owner of the shop, but the vehicles they produce are cool. So I guess you only need to put $30k into yours and you'll be fine. :wink:

-BP
Couldn't believe the $50K selling price. Know what you mean about the owner. Kinda oily. How'd you like him snorting booze thru his nose? :lol: On camera, yet.

If I do the F100, I'm not going to put as much money in it as I put in the Maverick. I'd like to recoup most of it with the sale of the Explorer when the F100 is ready to take its place.
Maverick
Maverick

Almost a commitment ...

Post by Maverick »

Guess I'm getting locked in on a decision to go ahead with the F100.

My son is ready to let me buy it. We're hoping to get it moved here a week from tomorrow.

Talked to the manager at LKQ salvage yard that's a few miles away. He has a 2WD Expedition with 5.4L Triton that hasn't gone out in the yard yet. It has 180K miles on it but runs quiet and smooth, no valve or other worrisome noises and smooth exhaust out the tail pipe. Engine was quite clean externally but the oil was dirty. :?: Transmission fluid looked new. Wish I had checked the oil pressure. (always forget something!!) :oops:

He has a few Explorer rear ends. I can get the engine, transmission, PCM, harnesses, sensors and gauges and a disk brake limited slip Explorer rear end for what I think is a pretty reasonable price. I believe the engine is usable as is. Need to check the transmission. WXO and I will go back and drive it around the yard to see what's up. There has to be some reason the truck is being scrapped. If the engine needs rebuilding somewhere down the line, so be it. That would be a good opportunity to add some HP. :mrgreen:

Don't think he has the '03 or newer Crown Vic steering and suspension but his price was high on that anyway.

Ordered a temp, moveable 10X20 plastic shed (thanks for the suggestion, WXO) that will serve as storage for parts (engine, trans, fenders, hood, aprons, box, ...) now and as a paint booth later. When its no longer required (yeah, right!!) it can come down and itself be stored.

Feels good to be moving on the project.
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Maverick wrote: Kinda oily. How'd you like him snorting booze thru his nose? :lol:
That caught me off guard......I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard, -when I read that this morning :D That was a good laugh.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I was in bed and laughing out loud. It was really STUPID and funny!

-BP
Maverick

Another 5.4L in an F100 Project

Post by Maverick »

Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Hmmm, let's see. Do all that wiring, or shoot myself? Decisions, decisions....

-BP