1987 Corvette Z52

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1987 Corvette Z52

Post by Basement Paul »

We got the new hose installed last weekend and put it all back together. After a trip around the block we checked and there was oil coming from what looked like both fittings where they threaded into the cooler. So yesterday we set out to figure out the problem. We took all the shrouding back off and checked the leak while it was running and it was only the passenger's side, but we decided to pull them both. It appeared that I only put a couple wraps of teflon tape on there, so this time I put at least four rounds on there and was sure to tighten them more than I had previously. I was a little cautious cuz the fittings and the cooler are made from aluminum, but I made sure they were solidly tight this time.
After the same drive and at least one 100mph blast, we came back to dry fittings, so I think we're good to go. If the weather holds I'll be at the drags with it on Wednesday night. The only thing I would like to do before we hit a road course is to get a switch on the front electric fan. I don't remember ever seeing it work, but it's "designed" to come on at like 225 degrees. Jeezus, what were they thinking?? The fan on the backside of the radiator is on with the motor, so for all normal driving and even dragstrip/autocross, I've barely seen it go over 170, but it might like a little extra on a track day. And the wiring is simple enough to get to under the hood.

-BP
Attachments
trans cooler 5-4-24.jpg
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It's nice to have the fan override if you want it, but I doubt you will need it while you are on track. One thing about going fast is there is a lot of air flow. The only time I've found it handy is if you want to cool it down faster at the end of the session after you stop moving.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I agree. Since it's there, I figured it couldn't hurt to have the option. Probably just going to put the switch under the hood.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last night coming home from the track was the first time I've driven at night with the new headlights. They are definitely an improvement, and since it was fresh in my head, and the car was in my garage, I took the chance to adjust them a little better. The right light was pointed forward correctly IMO, but was a little low, so I turned it up just a little bit. The left light was pointing way left and a little low. So I cranked it up and back towards the center more. The next trip in the dark will tell me more. It's pouring rain right now so no night drive tonight. It's super easy to adjust them so I'll stay after it, but I think if they're adjusted right, they'll do a real nice job.

-BP
Attachments
headlights new aim 5-9-24.jpg