1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by TireSmoker »

I was surprised by that too. Walts description of the wire hook kinda sounds like the way the rear bench seat bottoms are usually clipped in.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Continuing where I left off on 4/2, the eBay seat track arrived. I tested the motors before I went to install it and none of the three motors responded to the 12V applied to them. NOT GOOD. I contacted the seller and he immediately refunded my payment and told me to keep the seat track. With this recent seat track in my possession, I was now able to try to mix and match parts to get one good working seat track. On a separate occasion, I had previously ordered and received a working set of seat motors, so I went about installing these motors on this latest seat track and plugged it into the wiring harness in the car and tested it. The motors worked, but now I have a new problem. The power seat transmission is verschmeckled I have no working transmission to put in! Regroup time again. With limited options, I decided to throw money at it and buy a rebuilt seat track and put that in. It requires me to send in my old seat track, but fortunately I have the verschmeckled one to give him and I still retain my original for possible use on the passenger side seat. I plan to see if I can fix the bad motor and repair the transmission or to mix and match parts to have one that works. Typical C4 repair gone amuck! Stay tuned.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I'm getting a lot of experience on C4 power seats. My driver's seat track had the center motor of the tri-motor unit that was non-working. It turns out that the center motor drives the seat forward and back. I took the motor unit apart to see if I could fix it. Once I got inside all looked pretty good, but when I rotated each motor I found that the center motor would not rotate. It was stuck in the lower bearing. A little tapping with a small hammer and punch and it released easily. I cleaned both the shaft and bearing and it rotated as well as the other two motors. Once reassembled, I plugged it into Corvette wiring and all three motors operated according to the movements of the controls. I'll set this motor unit aside now as a spare.
001041024.jpg
003041024.jpg
004041024.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

What a crazy concoction of engineering there... Even in the 90's I would think there would be a better way to handle that. How much would you say that three motor assembly weighs?

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

It weighs 2.1 pounds.
It is a beefy motor, but it drives a transmission that uses plastic gears to move a seat and driver back and forth. I have two bad transmissions in my possession now.
There are rebuilders out there now and people are printing the plastic parts needed for them.
wxo

Post by wxo »

The rebuild seat track arrived today and now the driver's side seat controls work as they should. I tested the seat motors on the passenger side a few days ago and all three are working, but the seat will not move even though it's motor runs. I plan to remove the transmission from the now spare seat track and take it apart to see if I can make it work and use it on the passenger side. But that's low priority for when I run out of things to do. :lol:
wxo

Post by wxo »

I started work on one of the extra seat transmissions. Here's a look at the inside when you split the cases.
007 (Medium).JPG
Here are all the parts cleaned up. Looks like I need a replacement for the main gear support and one shaft end cap. All the gears and shafts look good. I found a guy in Texas that prints these parts. He told me the breakage is caused when the seat is run against it's normal front and rear stopping points. There is no protection designed into this system to protect against that.
006 (Medium).JPG
wxo

Post by wxo »

ODO: 106,262

I attended YouTube University and completed the rebuild of Silvia's passenger seat transmission. Here's the picture of success.[Youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/Zqpj3vlMZ_U?feature=share[/Youtube]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You are now an expert! Has to be many more of these needing rebuilt - could be a side business.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I couldn't have done it without the know-how and parts from Richard Finley in China Spring, Texas. He provided an excellent video and some used plastic parts for a reasonable price. Very helpful guy. He also prints the plastic parts for this transmission as well as providing a rebuilding service.
wxo

Post by wxo »

ODO: 106,293

While I have the passenger seat out, I thought it would be a good time to treat it with Leatherique Professional Leather Restoration product. There are two parts to the kit, a Rejuvenator Oil and a cleaner. The first step is to generously slather the Rejuvenator oil over the entire seat and rub it into all the seams, and crevices. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap to marinate for a day in the sun.
IMG_2665 (Medium).JPEG
Next use the cleaner to remove all the Rejuvenator along with its accumulated dirt, then wipe it clean with a dry cloth. I've already done the driver's seat and there is a noticeable improvement.