1987 Corvette Z52

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1987 Corvette Z52

Post by Basement Paul »

On the Vette this weekend we removed the rear speakers and boxes (actually only one speaker was there, but two BOSE boxes), removed the rear cargo shade and shade hooks up front, and pulled all the insulation out from under the carpet. Total weight savings there was about 15 lbs. This car is a little curious as the passenger's side had the insulation behind the speaker and the driver's side did not. Someone removed it either due to an accident or some other weirdness. It wasn't for audio upgrades as what was there still looked stock, and there's no access to anything behind the speaker, so I'm not really sure why it was gone.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we got the new steering wheel installed. It took a couple attempts as I forgot one step, and also had to chase a couple threads. But at the end of the day the new, not dried and cracked steering wheel is installed and looks good.
Next week we'll put new headlights in and remove the power antenna.

-BP
Attachments
steering wheel 1-13-23.jpg
steering wheel old2.jpg
steering wheel old1.jpg
wxo

Post by wxo »

Speaking of headlights, I watched this YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLW8t4ilzgU
I now have the two components on order from Amazon. About $70.

I'm looking forward to some much improved nighttime driving.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Even with the regular old yellowish halogen sealed beams and fog lights, I didn't think the headlights were too bad and I've done some night driving with this car. I had some plastic halogen upgrade replacement light assemblies on order but they were backordered forever so I cancelled it and just order some extra bright Sylvania sealed beam direct replacements. I've never been a giant fan of LED headlights. Just my preference I guess.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20240114_090950287_HDR.jpg
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Both mine and Kurt's C4s have the plastic LED lights - not a lot of miles yet but they work well.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

It's likely my age, but I like as much light on the road as I can get.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday got the new headlights installed. We also removed the power antenna assembly but borrowed some pieces from the assembly to make it look stock still. Saved only about 3lbs, but we weren't going to be using it anyway, so it's gone.
We pulled the 3rd brake light assembly apart as one of the bulbs was "out", which is to say the connection was just dirty. I pulled all four bulbs out to clean the contacts on them, but unfortunately one of the bulbs pins stayed in the socket so that bulb was officially broken. I think I have a couple so we can put it back together next week.

-BP
Attachments
1-21-24 headlight.jpg
1-21-24 headlights.jpg
1-21-24 antenna.jpg
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today, I stumbled upon this video of track mods for the C4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9PB3m6-Vd0
Maybe it will give you some ideas if you haven't seen it yet.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

He has some pretty good ideas. I don't like the exhaust dumps right underneath the passenger's compartment. Might get a little gassy inside the car, especially before you go on grid. I do like his better sway bars though. Some good info for sure.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today we got the third brake like bulbs back in order and all working again. Then we tackled the wiring for the trailer. It's a generic harness with GM colors on it. After a quick trip to YouTube University, I figured out how to remove the taillights and get to some of the wires we needed to splice into. End of the day, according to my test light at least, the wires all seem to function correctly. I also would like to say that at age 52, I finally was able to successfully solder my first wires together without any issues. I've tried this several times in my life, and for some reason never had any success.

With my new bigger storage shed and completed wiring, I'm confident to go ahead and order my trailer.

-BP
Attachments
1-27-24 trailer wiring2.jpg
1-27-24 trailer wiring.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday's project was to replace the passenger door's outside weather seal. It came with the car and we did the driver's one last year sometime. Like the driver's side, it took a couple hours. At some point a mouse was living in there and ate a bunch of wire coating off the door lock wiring, but somehow it never shorted out, and I just black taped up the open wires. Otherwise no major surprises. We also removed the final speaker in this system.

-BP
Attachments
passenger window trim 2-10-24.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we worked on the gas tank fuel starvation issue and tried out my "new" welder. This is the welder I posted a little while back and decided that for the price it would be handy to have at Dad's place for whatever might arise. We hooked it up to make sure it was a functioning unit and it's good to go.
Then we pulled the fuel pump assembly out of the tank to work on a baffle setup. Turns out the factory baffle that everyone says comes loose is still in place and in tact. It is sad that it is way too big to stop any fuel starvation issues. I can only imagine how bad it was without this bandaid. After a couple different attempts at engineering, I think we have something that will work. It's a Pennzoil quart bottle that has a couple 1/8" holes drilled at the lowest point and is clamped to the return line with two slits. What you don't realize when other people talk about doing this, is that when installed, this thing sits at least at a 45 deg angle. The only way to test it will be to install it and run it low.
We didn't install it yesterday as I wanted to get a new gasket to put between the assembly and the tank. So next weekend we'll get it running and if it stays nice, maybe even run it around the block.

-BP
Attachments
gas slosh 2-24-24a.jpg
gas slosh 2-24-24.jpg
gas slosh 2-24-24b.jpg
welder 2-24-24.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The new gasket is installed on the tank and the fuel pump assembly is reinstalled and pumping fuel again. Time will tell if the sloshing problem has been resolved or not.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

We got to work on the power steering cooler yesterday. A reasonably easy install except for some tight spots for clamps and hoses. I had a piece of galvanized angle steel laying around, and the holes in it lined up perfectly with the holes in the cooler. I got to use our "new" welder to weld the bracket to the front frame too. All in was about 2.5hrs and now our PS pump should never get hot again. I'll hit it with a little black paint when I think about it. Next up will be the transmission cooler. That will be a little more involved, but shouldn't be the worst thing we've ever done. Once that is done, we should be ready for whatever track we decide to go to.

-BP
Attachments
3-9-24 ps cooler1.jpg
3-9-24 ps cooler2.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I got the new transmission cooler mounted in place with a simply cut 1/8" aluminum L bracket from Home Depot and some precision drilling on my part. Unfortunately there was not enough hose included in the kit (only 4') to reach my existing tranny lines on the bottom of the radiator, so the project stalled. I have another 4' section of 11/32" (glad I verified the odd size) on order and should be here this week sometime.

-BP
Attachments
trans cooler 4-6-24.jpg
trans cooler 4-6-24a.jpg