2009 Chevy Impala LS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: 2009 Chevy Impala LS

Post by MostMint »

Last weekend I did tire swapping for winter and found two of the Blizzaks to be fairly worn out. So this past Friday two new ones went on the car. Cannot drive around on 40% snow tires at this point in my life!

Also the door unlock stopped working. From the remote and the indoor switches, and all three doors at once (driver door OK). This is not convenient with this car as the rear doors do not have manual unlock! So with some digging I found the door lock relay. Despite the pic in the Haynes book there is only one of these. Removing it from the instrument panel fuse block I found green from corroding copper. Not sure how it got that way but all I did was clean clean the connections. Back online for the moment.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Two things: 1) what size are those 40% snow tires? B) are you interested in another cop car twin?

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

215/60/R16 but they are gone I did not keep them when I replaced them. I know someone at work who was selling a used set similar size what size u need?

Not particularly who has it?
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Some guy around the corner put it in front of his house a couple weeks ago. I never stopped, but it looks like a twin to yours.

My tires are 215-65-17...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

no 17s around unfortunately
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last night in the rain I learned why the unlock switch started failing. As I was driving in the rain I noticed water is leaking in over there. I'm pretty sure the car got a new windshield before I bought it and it is apparently leaking.
-BP[/quote]
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Andy,

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 best) how is the Maaco paint job? Do you still like it? Would you do it again? I am looking at a car that needs paint and an trying to decide if its worth getting. It would likely be my "carlisle" for sale car. Although it might be not quite the right market. (a VW bug).
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So far so good. The shop put it on with a little orange peel in some places, and the roof was just a little dry - similar to other cars. The paint itself is holding up well after one year. I got the paint with the integrated clear coat. I would take a look at the quality of what is coming out of the shop to get a good idea what yours will look like.

The prep work they did was good - they got all the sanding marks out and left none where they did work. That stuff is easy to spot on a black car.

If you are planning to keep it a while just keep in mind my car spends most of its time under a roof so the sun has not had much chance to bake the paint. If I got into a car like this again I would go there again.

For finish appearance I would put it at 8
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Updates: 1) the bodywork on the LR quarter panel and the paint are not getting along and there are a few cracks in the paint now. Can't really blame it on Maaco the prior owner had done some work and Maaco must have assumed it was good. Oops.

2) The car was not performing correctly - acting like bad plugs. So I replaced them - reasoning that police cars idle a lot and that would be bad on the plugs. It helped.

3) Had a tire issue. Rachel was finishing up her 50 driving hours on her temps - literally 10 minutes to go and she hit a pothole. It bent the rim and wrecked the tire. New tire was like $113. The rim, well I watched some Youtube video and learned you could heat them and fix them. Used "reconditioned" rim like $150. So I gave it a go. Well MAP gas bernzomatic made barely enough heat so I was able to massage it back to working order. I used a piece of wood between the hammer and the wheel so it does not have the peened over look. The bent in lip is now within 1/16" of stock specs for diameter and width.

4) Also the car got loud a couple months back. The LR muffler had a dent in it and apparently the inners broke free. Sounds trashy probably going to put the SS OEM mufflers on it.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Due for some updates.

Was planning to put the SS muffler on the car but Rachel said that would be too quiet. So we found a Flowmaster knockoff at Summit. I think I picked the quieter version but still better than stock.
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG
IMG_2153.JPG
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Rachel backed into a mailbox and dented up the trunk in March. The first pic is after I pounded out the dent and touched it up. I am not locating the pic of it "as crashed". A trip to pull a part for a color matching replacement and the car is is back together.
IMG_0480.JPG
The donor car:
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
Bonus cover on inside of trunk, and not the "PAP" signature
IMG_0485.JPG
The finished product
IMG_0492.JPG
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Recently the check engine light came on. It was P0455 and the dash display kept saying loose gas cap. Well the real problem was this Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid under the inner fender on the left rear. It was about $45 and a little bit of monkeying around to get it replaced.

Last week it got an oil change and I have been looking the car over a bit as it will be in Columbus for a while. I knew the police car had external oil cooler for power steering and transmission, but I also found it had one for the engine oil as well.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Well, it's been a while since I updated on this car.

In November 2017 the battery was weak so it got replaced
In March 2018 the transmission filter got plugged so it received new filter and fluid

During sell prep I washed and vacuumed the car, but also noticed it was due for an engine oil change so it got that also.

As the SS was in for deer hit repair I was driving this car daily and noticed a clunk in the front when turning. Inspection uncovered both front wheel bearings getting loose so I replaced them yesterday.

Of course while it was apart for wheel bearings I noticed the brake pads were near the end. Autozone lifetime pads though so I got new set on the warranty this morning. Rotors were slightly warped getting those cleaned up now. Should have it all back together tonight.

KBB says low end of fair condition is like $4k. Edmunds said average condition $3500. I started at $4k got like no calls and last weekend lowered to $3700 still nothing.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

During tax season, it probably would have sold quickly. For less than $3700, you might as well keep it as a spare car. That much money doesn't buy much right now.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It buys me a garage space lol
-BP[/quote]