206 Peugeot from Cuba

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

yasserfernandez

Re: 206 Peugeot from Cuba

Post by yasserfernandez »

You shoot two interesting questions.

The first one.

If you are refering to the distributor's position I can say it is correct. It has an almost 30 degrees free movement you can access by releasing two nuts. I have moved it all the way. Now it is fitted in the best position.

If you are refering to the camshaft position...mmmmmm....you can be right.

If feel a bit intimidated on trying to change it, any broken part will be very expensive. But let me give you a hint. Once running the engine, if you put a piece of paper in the exhaust, it goes out in every moment. Isn't that a clue to affirm the timming is correct?

The second question.

First of all I live in Cuba. I have real inconvenients to import parts. Anyway, I was said that this 206 model is one of the first. The ECU of this early models was very weak. Later the ECU's on the 206 was changed, so getting a fix was really difficult to find. And I tried to reach it, but no success.

Being naturally aspirated is much more ease for me to fix, I always have a screw driver handy

Please give me your thoughts about the piece of paper.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I guess a better question is, have other people done this same conversion from injection to carburetion on this car? If so, maybe there's someone online in a forum or on youtube that might have faced similar problems that you have. Unfortunately, we're just guessing here, but if you found someone that has already done the same thing, they might have some more educated suggestions. I feel like I'm just guessing and don't want to offer bad advice.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I think we have explored the timing question to it's limit. You have done the best you can with the resources available to you. I am not familiar with the paper method of checking the cam timing so I can't comment on it for accuracy.
Maybe it's time to move on to explore the possibility of a problem in the carb.
- I have heard you say that you have had it apart several times and cleaned it. Could it be possible that using the gaskets over and over could be causing a problem? Maybe an air or vacuum leak?
- When you cleaned it, did you blow compressed air or spray carb cleaner through all the passages? Is it possible to get some spray carb cleaner where you are?

- I looked online and found a document on Solex carbs. It has a lot of info including diagrams and adjustments. Yasser can you identify the model of your Solex so we can focus and understand this carb a little bit better?
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yass,
I'm thinking about the effects of your last idle adjustment. You stated that you had to screw the idle adjustment all the way in to get it to idle and that you had only about 10 degrees of adjustment there. You also stated that the idle was not stable. Is that correct.
Over night I was thinking about my request for a model number on your Solex carb. Sometimes identifying carburetors is difficult. If you can't find the model, try to post a couple of pictures of the carb so that we can try to figure out which one it is. My point in doing this is to understand the idle adjustment circuit. I would like to know if the Solex idle mixture screw is controlling air or fuel.

If it is controlling the air, then screwing it all the way in would indicate that the carb is getting too much air or too little fuel at idle. If it is the other way around, then the carb is getting too much fuel at idle and we would need to look for that reason for that.

If anyone has any other ideas, please chime in.
yasserfernandez

Sorry maybe I didn't explain well about the idle screw.

The carb has a screw to adjust the idle. It adjust air and it is fitted at around 2.5 turns out. But I am refering to the idle JET.

It MUST be totally screwed in but I noticed that screwing it out a little amout I obtain a better idle.

Maybe the idle air passages are clogged. Then allowing the air to get into via the jet compensates the lack.

I can't identify any numbers on the carb. But I will surely that the closest pictures I can and post them.

I we identify the carb diagram so I can be sure the air passage is clogged or not.

Unfortunately I don't know any prior case of putting a carb into a 206...
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

When you were doing your paper-on-the-exhaust-pipe test, how did the exhaust smell? If it was unusually offensive, the idle mixture might be too rich (too much fuel).
Maverick
yasserfernandez

It smells like if I was droped into a gasoline tank from top to button.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I'm sure you checked to see that the choke is fully open.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

After reading all this information, the one thing that seems clear is that the idle mixture is too rich. I will use the pictures to try to identify the carb and then find an appropriate diagram that we can use to help figure this out.
yasserfernandez

Perfect!

Oh yes, you are right, the choke is full open.
wxo

Re: TireSmoke from a 205 Peugeot

Post by wxo »

Yasser. There is still hope for your Peugeot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUd88mGMJ4
yasserfernandez

Jajajaja, good for you!

This is not the carburator I have on the 206...maybe there are variants of the 205 model Solex.
yasserfernandez

Can you please explain me this

" Fast idle setting
- With the carburettor removed, invert it then pull the choke lever fully on.
- Using a twist drill, check that the gap between the throttle valve and barrel is 0.8 mm. If not, turn the adjustment screw."

I have never checked this out...

I have found this on http://www.peugeot205.pl/pdf/p205haynes.pdf page 97
wxo

Post by wxo »

I will give it a try. On a cold start, when closing the choke, the choke linkage also operates the fast idle linkage which opens the throttle blade a little bit. On a cold start where the choke is fully on, the engine requires a higher idle setting to help it start and keep it running until it warms up and the choke is no longer needed. This is the fast idle setting. You adjust the fast idle by holding the choke closed and measure the distance between the throttle blade and the carb barrel. Using the fast idle screw, you must set that distance to .8mm. One way to measure this distance is to use a .8mm drill bit inserted between the throttle blade and the barrel of the carb. If you don't have a .8mm drill bit, then find something like a rod or dowel that measures .8mm and use that.