2005 9.2x Linear

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2005 9.2x Linear

Post by Basement Paul »

I just bought two new sets of tires from my buddy at Cleveland Tire and have been able to beat tireracks prices if you factor in shipping. Since I'll be making a trip there next week, email me a link to the tires you want on tirerack and I'll get a cash price for you.

Let me know.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Kumho Ecsta PA31 .... 225/45 -17 ..... Tire Rack has them for $90.00 / tire
$372.00 / set AFTER a $50.00 rebate. I have to move pretty quickly as the
rebate ends at the end of the month..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... earch=true

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

So last night I went to the BP garage and got the Kumhos put ton the Saab.
112,200 miles.... ready for winter!!

We struggled a bit putting getting the first tire to mount, but once we learned the
secret, we breezed through the balance of them. Our mount & balance job was
done perfectly. I drove home on the freeway at 70 mph on the way home and
there was zero shimmy or shake. The car rolls way better than it did before also.
I think it was time for new tires!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I sold the factory 16" wheels yesterday to a dude from Akron. He was going to put them on
a 2005 9-2x Linear. I was asking $95 for the set on Craigslist, he gave me $100 and didn't
want the change because he thought they were such a great deal. I gave him his change
anyway. I'm tickled that my new wheels only cost me $100 to buy at Carlisle. The upgrade
to new wheels cost me $5. I'm contemplating buying Saab wheel centers on Ebay to put
in the charcoal colored wheels. I'm not certain that I'll like the look, but re-pop centers are
less than $15, so I might try it for the heck of it.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Do the deal!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Over the weekend, I had a small exhaust leak repaired. In reality, there was
a cheapo resonator welded in the pipe that rusted. The whole system is stainless,
and the resonator wasn't. It rusted at the welds. It had been leaking for quite some
time, but my overly hectic life kept me from making the repair. Time to fix the
pipe came when I could feel the rumble of open exhaust through the floor boards.
A quick trip to Paul Carson's lift and fifty bucks got me a custom made stainless
and very permanent repair on the pipe. For a quick second, I was thinking about
purchasing a whole new exhaust, but this fix is good to go for life. I was able to look
under the car while on the lift and everything seems very nice with some small amounts
of surface rust starting to show. At just under 122,000 miles, and 10 years old, the
Saab is still in pretty good shape.

GM
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

That resonator was already replaced once. It let go in Vancouver in 2010. We pulled into a muffler shop and still managed to see and do everything we had planned for that day. It cost us a bit more than you paid, even when you converted the Canadian dollars.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

This past weekend, GMAmy and I took a short trip to the Hocking Hills area for
a mini-vacation. I'll spare all of the Tiresmokers the details about the cabin and
how quaint it was, and how beautiful the foliage was... I'll get to the part you
guys would be interested in. I took the Saab. I was planning on taking the Vette,
but it was snowing in Cleveland when I left. The majority of the trip to that area
from our place is along Rt. 71, where you just sing along the freeway at 75 mph.
The cool part starts when you actually get in to the Hocking Hills area. We were
on Rt. 664 which is all twisty, winding, extremely hilly roads that are just like a
video game -- and the speed limit is 55 mph. With oncoming traffic and some of
the turns, I was amazed they had the speed limit so high! It was a fun trip in the
Saab, because the under-horsepowered motor meant you had to shift and shift
and shift to keep in the torque curve! Many times I had to use a lower gear to go
downhill and keep from burning up the brake pads. I was really lamenting the fact
that I didn't have my Corvette for this portion of the trip, but when I came to the
gravel road that took us to our cabin and the drive was so steep even the Saab's
front end was dragging the ground, I knew that the Saab was the correct vehicle
for the job. I flipped over 127,500 miles on the trip and got a solid 27 mpg for the
trip. This car still proves to be a great driver car and an excellent utility vehicle
that I am not looking to replace anytime soon!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

On my trip to Hocking Hills, I was getting quite annoyed with the brake pedal pulsating
when I used it. So, I checked my records and I've never done front rotors on the Saab,
but rears were done about 2 years and about 35,000 miles ago. I checked my receipts
from Advance Auto. They said 2 years replacement from factory defects and workmanship.
I'm thinking, "Are these roached rotors really going to be under warranty?" I took them to
the local store. Neither the counter girl nor the manager could give me a reason why my
rotors weren't going to be under warranty, even after I quizzed them on what could really
be a "manufacturers defect" on a rotor. They said warping and the surface getting all pitted
and rusted didn't count. I politely thanked them for their time and went to NAPA to buy some
new rotors for all 4 corners. Hopefully they will last longer than 35,000 miles. The fronts
were able to be turned by the NAPA store, but for $10 more per rotor, I bought new ones.
127,500 miles on the car. I also rotated the tires while I had them all off, and adjusted the
emergency brake shoes. What a difference!! The emergency brake lever moves up only about
1/4 of the total amount that it can possibly go now, compared to 7/8 of the way before the
adjustment.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Brake rotor "warranty" is such a joke. You never get anything back.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

GMJohnny wrote:This past weekend, GMAmy and I took a short trip to the Hocking Hills area for
a mini-vacation. .... The cool part starts when you actually get in to the Hocking Hills area. We were
on Rt. 664 which is all twisty, winding, extremely hilly roads that are just like a video game -- and the speed limit is 55 mph. With oncoming traffic and some of the turns, I was amazed they had the speed limit so high! It was a fun trip in the Saab, because the under-horsepowered motor meant you had to shift and shift and shift to keep in the torque curve! Many times I had to use a lower gear to go
downhill and keep from burning up the brake pads.
Sounds a lot like Chumpcar racing!
I was really lamenting the fact that I didn't have my Corvette for this portion of the trip,
But then you wouldn't have gotten to do all that shifting... :-)

BTW, southern Ohio has all kinds of great driving roads (state routes) like the one you describe, especially anything south of I-70, and east of I-71.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm seriously considering just going for a cruise down there. It was
awesome! The whole time I kept wondering why they made the roads
the way they did. It would seem that making a road straight would be
the better option, but the way they made them was definitely more
fun!

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Because when they were made, they didnt have the amount of earth-moving equipment that they do now. They just followed the contour of the land more.

Look up motorcycleroads.com (and other variant motorcycle road sites). Another tip, find any road that goes through a National Forest. Plan on spending a night in Marietta, look up the Lafayette hotel (old-timey) and then take Rt 26 in/out of Marietta. It goes through the forest east/northeast of Marietta. Ohio Routes 260 and 800 also run through that forest and are fun too. Rt 536 has been called Ohio's cousin of the Tail of the Dragon. Runs from Rt 78 (another good one) down into Hannibal Ohio, on the Ohio River. Route 7 basically runs down the eastern border of Ohio, then runs along the Ohio River and there are all sorts of roads that run off of there into the hills.

We haven't even touched PA or WV yet. :-)

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I just had a minor repair done.... 133,760 miles. The Saab was the vehicle of
choice to take to the airport for a small trip we just took. We left the airport park
& fly parking lot on a snowy Friday and returned on a sunny Monday. When I got
back to the car, the remote didn't open the doors. I still have a key to use, so I
got in to a dead battery. I soon realized that I had left a map light on, so I knew
the cause of the problem. A quick jump got the car started, but the idle was way
too low. I've posted about the computer relearn before with this car. I tried the
procedure that I'd used in the past with no luck. After suffering with a car that
stalled at every light I stopped at for almost a week, I waved the white flag and
took the car in. Turns out that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. The MAF
sensor was cleaned at the same time. After this work was performed, the car did
the normal relearn and is running smoothly again. Just keep on rollin' baby!!!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

This last week I heard a bit of squeaking coming from the rear brakes.
I initially heard this squeaking when I made my trip to New Jersey / Carlisle,
but it went away for quite some time. I figured I'd check it out on my day
off. As a precautionary measure I purchased brake shoes for all four corners
of the car. Upon inspection, the rear shoes were trashed. I put those pads on
and never liked the way they slid in the support bracket that holds them. I
had to really force them in the bracket when they were installed. They were
worn funny, not even. One pad had about a 1/4" difference in thickness in it
from the front to the back of the pad. I put new pads in there and filed the
backings of them so they slid better in the pad mounts. Hopefully this will
help the issue. I checked my records and those shoes were only on the car
for 25,000 miles. I'm at 137,700 miles now. The front brakes were inspected
and about 85%. Back on the road again. ( this whole job took about an hour