1982 Mustang #50

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1982 Mustang #50

Post by Basement Paul »

Sadly this place came recommended. GM Johnny had his Vette done there, he has their work trucks worked on there, and my friend I sold the Caddy too has had success there. The only thing that has changed since is that the father that used to run the place retired and now it's the son in charge. All I can say is that I wouldn't recommend them myself to anybody.
I didn't care how long it took them when it was snowing, I never asked for any discounts, and I've never given them a hard time about anything. But now it's time for them to come correct. Depending on my mood tomorrow, I might call and talk to the owner instead of waiting.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I surprised this is happening to you, BP. We have had a couple of our vans
with 4L80E transmissions rebuilt by him. Two times we had reverse failures after
the rebuilds, which he said was a faulty band manufacturer. He had our transmissions
rebuilt within a day of us bringing them to him, at no cost. I'm not sure what the
issue is there, but they have seemed pretty attentive to our needs. I'm bummed
that they are stringing you along.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Short version:

After work last Friday I picked the car up and drove it home, it leaked way worse than it did when I took it back the first time, and I took it back Saturday. He said he would have it on the rack first thing Monday morning, and I haven't heard anything since then.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Basement Paul wrote:Short version:

After work last Friday I picked the car up and drove it home, it leaked way worse than it did when I took it back the first time, and I took it back Saturday. He said he would have it on the rack first thing Monday morning, and I haven't heard anything since then.

-BP
That just SUCKS............
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Thursday just after lunch I got a call from the tranny shop telling me it was done. He explained to me that the shims he made to separate the converter from the flexplate were originally too thick which caused the converter to slightly make it's way out of the back of the crank and therefor caused the converter to wobble slightly which created the leak in the front seal. Sounded reasonable.
Today I picked the car up, drove it home with no issues, but did not look under the car until just now....... so far so good! I can tell you that the car did seem a little quieter and smoother tonight, although the weather was nice and I did drive home with the windows down. I did get on it a couple times with no issues.
I do have a charging issue with the alternator though. The external regulator appears to be original so I'm going to start there and try to get one tomorrow. If that doesn't cure it I'll have to put a new alternator on it. I already replaced the battery so I'll be good there too.

I do like driving this car, but it's starting to make me def... I might have to get some ear plugs (no joke) before I go cruising for any distance as my right ear has been ringing since last Saturday when I drove it back to the tranny shop and now it's really ringing... Maybe I can blame it on the weather.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

When you get on it, does it go straight ? That's the most important thing I think.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Straight as an arrow. Big tires and a spool pretty much leave it with no other option but straight, even when you're trying to turn a little. Last night Dave stopped over for dinner and a little hot rod action. We took the Mustang out for a little jaunt around and did my first holeshot with the car. I foot braked it up to about 2800 and let 'er rip. It actually launches pretty well, even on the street. It maybe turned the tires around 7or8 times, all while moving forward, and it was rolling hard after that. I'm sure with lower tire pressure and even the slightest amount of glue down, the car will hook right up.

I'm still having charging issues. Yesterday I put the new voltage regulator in it, drove it to AutoZone to get checked, and it's still not charging. I have a new alternator coming on Tuesday. It's just not charging at all. I'm sure with the MSD ignition that it will like 13.6v versus 12v while getting in the revs too.

The forecast for next Saturday is 46 and sunny. IF that holds, I think I'll be ready for a pass or two.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I rode in this thing yesterday and it's COOL. Maybe all of Paul's problems colored my perception of the car and I wasn't expecting much, but it sounds awesome, and it pulls like a train. Feels like a good combination, I think this thing will be in the 12s. Of course it just looks badass with the huge wheels in the back.

I have to go to a wedding next Saturday, so I probably wont be able to make it to TRP. Bummer.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I installed the new alternator to no avail. I also installed a ground strap from the block to the body and from the alternator to the body, but nothing has changed, so hopefully by next weekend I'll get it over to Paul Carson to have him take a look. I obviously have a wiring issue somewhere.

At some time this week I have someone coming to put the new windshield in.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Wednesday evening I'm booked in to take the Mustang in to get the charging system squared away....

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Apparently the field wire and the stator wire were backwards on the alternator. But since the stator wire needed to be lengthened to reach it's new home, I'm sure it's been that way the whole time I've owned it and all I did when I had the motor out was put it back where it came from.

I'll pick it up tomorrow night and bring it home. Maybe take it to the track Wed night....

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Apparently the field wire and the stator wire were backwards on the alternator. But since the stator wire needed to be lengthened to reach it's new home, I'm sure it's been that way the whole time I've owned it and all I did when I had the motor out was put it back where it came from.

I'll pick it up tomorrow night and bring it home. Maybe take it to the track Wed night....

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So after my quick and ultimately rained out trip to the track, I've been searching for ways to make it quicker. Today 32V and I rechecked the timing. Turns out the timing marks are where they are supposed to be and the car was getting around 48deg total advance at RPM. We kicked that back to around 39 or so total, and around 10 at idle. It's all in before 4000rpm.
We also checked the secondaries to make sure the throttle blade was opening fully. It wasn't, but not by too much. So we fixed that too.
After a test drive to make sure all is well, I determined that I really need to be shifting by 5100 on the tach. By the time 5300 hits, it starts to fall off pretty bad like it did at the track. I'm thinking the valves are floating and I need some better springs in there. All in due time.

I'm going to go back on Wed to see if the cooler air and my changes can yield me a 12.8x pass. Anything in the 12's would show improvement, but I don't think an .8x is unrealistic. If I get that, I'll kick in for some better valve springs. Looks like about $100 for those and an hour or two of time.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5073720435.html

He's looking for a street rod..

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I like that car, and would probably trade him if he was interested, but he's looking for old 40's street rod stuff. Boyd Coddington type cars I guess. A note to that guy: don't take pictures of the car you're selling in front of a body shop!

-BP