Ford Bell Housing Bolt Patterns

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Ford Bell Housing Bolt Patterns

Post by Maverick »

The most complete descriptions of Ford bell housing bolt patterns I've found on the Internet:

If this is a test, then here's what I can remember from memory for the various Ford engines and interchangability.

Y-Block 239/256/272/292/312 - four bolt pattern - unique to this engine family

M-E-L 383/410/430 1958-1960 - five bolt pattern, same as FE, flywheel also interchanges

M-E-L 430/462 1961-1967 - five bolt pattern, different from FE with lowered starter, only a partial match to the FE

FE 332/352/390/406/410/427/428 - 1958-1976 - five bolt pattern

LYB 317/302/332/368 - 1952-1963 - five bolt pattern - unique to this engine family

SBF - 289/302/351W/351C - 1965-1994 - six bolt pattern

385 series BBF - 429/460 - 1968-1997 - six bolt pattern, same flywheel bolt pattern on flywheel flange as the FE

335 series BBF - 351M/400M - 1974-1982 - six bolt pattern, same as 429/460 but flywheel bolt pattern is the same as the SBF.

240/300 Ford Six Cylinder - six bolt pattern, same as six bolt SBF, crankshaft has same bolt pattern as SBF but requires neutral balanced flywheel.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Ford Bell Housing Bolt Patterns

Post by Basement Paul »

That's a lot of info...

What I've learned about SBF to C4 bell housings is that you need to know what size flexplate it came off 157 or 164, whether the dipstick is in the pan or in the case, and don't get me started on torque converters... I have to imagine that there's some variables with the other motors too.

I like that Ford has replaceable bell housings on their automatics, but I hate that it's impossible to find the one you need since there are a ton of variables over the different years. JW Performance Transmission makes some pretty nice solutions that simplify the process, and they make some good adapter bell housings too mate your Ford motor to a GM trans and vice versa.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Right. I think GM was a lot more consistent even back when the different divisions went their own way in lots of things.

Newer Ford auto transmissions do have the bell housings cast with the case. Performance transmission shops offer a service to mill the bell off the transmission case to accommodate an adapter. I may get into that some day if the C6 doesn't hold up to the warmed up 460.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Go buy one of those $40 shift improver kits for the C6. It will last forever and shift much better. I put one in my Caddy's turbo 400 and it shifted hard under power, but just a little firmer under normal driving. Well worth the money. That C6 should be pretty indestructible.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:Go buy one of those $40 shift improver kits for the C6. It will last forever and shift much better. I put one in my Caddy's turbo 400 and it shifted hard under power, but just a little firmer under normal driving. Well worth the money. That C6 should be pretty indestructible.

-BP
Yes, the C6 in the Lincoln shifts WAY too soft. With the top end kit, I'd also like it to spin up to 5K-5.5K at WOT before shifting.

Something like this? http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford- ... y-kit.html

I know its more than $40 but Jay at Broader Performance provides great customer support. I got the Street/Strip C4 for the Maverick from him. I'll also consult with him about shift points.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/bm ... /overview/

It's the best $33 you'll spend. I like to shift them myself, so I move the lever when the tach says it's time, but I understand having it happen on it's own too. If you do this, put in the street strip version (kit can go either way). With such a big car, the shifts won't be too harsh under normal driving.

-BP