Rust Removal

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

VeeDub

Rust Removal

Post by VeeDub »

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

I used this stuff on my water jacket in my engine block with great results. It doesn't smell strong or bad. Also safe around non-ferrous materials like plastics and rubber.
Its also reusable. For how many times though.... I'm not sure??

This was a 15 Hr soak. If your not in a hurry and can submerge what your trying to de-rust it works.

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Rust Removal

Post by TireSmoker »

Dude, I gotta try that stuff with an old set of Fuelie heads I have. That's pretty amazing.

It'd be curious to put that stuff back to back with that setup Maverick did with the soda powder and battery charger and compare effectiveness and cost.

-Dave

-
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Also, what's leftover in the bucket when you're done? Or in your case, how did you get the junk out of your block?

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

TireSmoker wrote:Dude, I gotta try that stuff with an old set of Fuelie heads I have. That's pretty amazing.

It'd be curious to put that stuff back to back with that setup Maverick did with the soda powder and battery charger and compare effectiveness and cost.

-Dave

-
One difference might be immediate protection after treatment. With electrolysis, microscopic rusting will begin IMMEDIATELY when you pull the piece out of the bath. I treated parts with Phosphoric Acid, e.g., OSPHO, when them came out to protect them.

Evapo-rust probably has something to stabalize rust after treatment. If the surface turns black or charcoal gray it probably has Phosphoric Acid in it.

When the clean piece is treated with OSPHO, it will stay in like-new condition for weeks or maybe even months with nothing more done to it. Same might be true with Evapo-rust. If not, OSPHO will hold the piece till you're ready to paint.
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

TireSmoker wrote:Also, what's leftover in the bucket when you're done? Or in your case, how did you get the junk out of your block?

-Dave
The only stuff left in my block was the typical antifreeze/water, whitish mineral deposits (under that probably more rust). The evapo- rust turned darker in color (contaminants ??)
I did the treatment while the engine was on the stand with the head off. so all I did was turn the engine over and catch the evapo-rust with a funnel. I wanted to run the evapo-rust thru a coffee filter and a round screen to catch the larger particles as i was putting it back in the container(remember its re-useable) - but I forgot.
Than I 1. blew the block out (now upside down on the stand) with 100 psi of air thru a blow gun. (let debris fly everywhere- but inside of motor :wink: )
2. hosed down with brake cleaner.- let drain all over floor and arm :oops: :mrgreen: .
3. repeat step 1.
the mineral deposits are still there. but this Mercedes Benz engine flush I have will take care of the mineral deposits and any rust that wasn/t submerged. Ill use the 'benz stuff just like a regular coolant flush: i.e. running the engine with it in -flush out with water.. blah blah ...you guys know.
The label says it wont hurt plastic and rubber. When i did the test with the hatchet i was soaking some other parts that had plastic and rubber - there fine. so i believe them.
Its... umm.... well I'll just do this:
Its even got heads on the instructions. The flash is covering the words " non-toxic & alkalies"
bonus points to the person that names those heads first
Hint: They are not VW.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

OK so it's been almost 6 months since you posted but those look a lot like small block Chevy heads.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]