Magnets

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Magnets

Post by Maverick »

This a an interesting thread on the Maverick/Comet forum. http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=38382 Especially see the discussion near the end on magents from hard drives. :shock:
Maverick
Fred32v

Re: Magnets

Post by Fred32v »

Me thinks this is just so much snake oil. ($60!!) Let the filter do its' job!
Also, BasementPaul ran duel Fram oil filters on his turbocharged Pinto wagon forever
and there was no drop in oil pressure. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yeah, they REALLY don't like FRAM filters. I've used a lot of them and still do.

A year or so ago I was at a garage owner's assoc meeting and the speaker was warning about some popular brand of filters made in China that were not flowing oil and ruining engines. He wouldn't say the brand, but I think they all knew which ones he was talking about. When I heard the Maverick guys talking about FRAM I wondered but I have no facts on it.

The most interesting stuff was about the hard disk magnets in the later posts. That's really why I posted the link. Think I'll put one of those (carefully) on the oil pan drain plug.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I got a bunch of old hard-drives sitting around. Might have to go scrounge some of those magnets.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I've been told in the past that Fram filters are pretty crappy. I can't remember which car I had, but when I used Fram filters for an oil change, the oil seemed a lot dirtier come oil change time than when I used another type of filter (I believe NAPA). I first heard this from fast87 and I believe there's some truth to it. But if you change your oil often enough, I don't think it matters much. I buy all my filters and oil from Wal-Mart anymore, and for several years haven't had any problems. They have all the filters and oil you'll need, and they are WAY cheaper than an auto parts store. Also, they sell all thier stuff in five quart containers so you get a full oil change for most cars in one bottle.

A magnetic drain plug is probably a good idea too.

-BP