Mini Project - 1957-ish King Distributor Machine

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Mini Project - 1957-ish King Distributor Machine

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well my buddy calls me up the other day and says he got me a "little something" at the auction. I assumed he was talking about some Iron Torqueflite trannies since I knew there were a couple of those boat anchors there. Nope I was wrong!!! He drags home a pretty BEAT yet extremely reasonably priced King Distributor Machine - which for reasons I cannot explain yet I have always wanted one (distributor machine).

Anyways after some light tinkering I got it going tonight! Not exactly sure how to use it, but I'm slowly figuring it all out.

Next project (to kill time between real projects) is to make a "black box" so I can hook up a electronic distributor to it - make sense since I've converted more than one of those lately!!

Oh yeah I forgot - it cost me a Princely sum of 10 dollars - add to that the replacement pulley for the drive at 6 bucks and all totaled I'm in it for under 20 bucks!!

Yeah the cabinet is rusty and looks like crap - I may need to do a quickie blast and paint on it - maybe wait for good weather for that!!!!

Jacin
Maverick

Re: Mini Project - 1957-ish King Distributor Machine

Post by Maverick »

Had to Google to see what a distributor machine is. Came across this old thread that appears to have some relevant info. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sun-dis ... 26154.html
Maverick
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Maverick, Interesting thread - I read it real quick - I should probably read it again more slowly (grin) just to make sure I don't miss anything.

I heard the "black box" is simply a 4 pin GM HEI module - I'll have to do some more research/thinking on that to see what I can come up with CHEAP !!! I mean I gotta respect the purchase price right???? ha ha ha

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

OK Since I now have it working I just had to play with a couple of old distributors - I couldn't wait to play with an old Mallory dual point. I had often wondered how far off you could get the cylinder to cylinder timing since these are 4 lobe (points cam) setups. I was AMAZED at how far off they can be - granted it was an extreme example, but it was EASY to get one off by several degrees!!!! Obviously this is of little concern when running a conventional 8 lobe points cam, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

It was more fun toying around with distributors than fixing the flashing on my garage roof - especially with a cold!!! duh!!!

Jacin
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nest up: Finding the elusive King Roof Flashing machine :lol:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]