Cast Iron Torqueflite!!!!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Cast Iron Torqueflite!!!!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well not really an update - more of a plan. I absolutely HAVE to rebuild the old t/f in my '47 - I have a spare that looks sweet inside and I may start with that (for practice or for real) - so the 64 thousand dollar question - anyone ever mess with one of these??

Any tips???

I've only ever rebuilt 1 trans in my life - this will be #2 one way or another.

I'm all ears!!!!

Racin'Jacin
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Cast Iron Torqueflite!!!!

Post by TireSmoker »

I wish I could say I have -- all I've ever done is add a shift improver kit. Rebuilding tranny's seems to require a fair number of specialized tools, which is one of the reasons I never tried.

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I considered it for my C4 but decided against it. I would have spent a few hundred on parts and didn't have confidence it would come out well. Seemed like a better idea to put another few hundred with it and expect a good outcome.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Sorry can't help either. I went as far as to get a book on the 700R4 since I had a rebuilt one that was never right (Gardner could not get it right) and I was trying to track down the problem. I don't even know any good Chrysler guys to recommend.

Based on all the other stuff you have done I'd guess this might be only a little harder than rotating tires. Keep us posted.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yikes. When it comes to trannies, I'm with Maverick. If it's bad, it needs to be replaced...

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

BP when you say Replace - you mean Rebuild - right!!! that's what I'm talking about ;-)

I have a spare - so I think tearing into it to see what I am getting into is a pretty harmless approach - besides YOU know how cheap I am - combine that with distrust and contempt and you can see why I end up trying this stuff myself!!!!!

I'll keep you posted ;-)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Any tips???
The transmission parts store in Raleigh has a wall full of books specific to particular transmissions. Think one of those would be a good investment. Your local trans parts store should have them too.

I admire your attitude. I'm trying to build up my nerve to tackle a ring and pinion set up. I can get a new Traction Lock for my 8" rear for $3XX.

Hope your rebuild goes well.
Maverick
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

UPDATE: Well I started tearing apart the new "parts" trans. It was so squeaky clean inside I stopped short. I completely disassembled the valve body and took apart a couple servos - no signs of anything in there but ATF. The pan was also squeaky clean - compared to the sandbox inside the one out of the truck.

The "new parts trans" converter wasn't so pretty - matter of fact it was downright scary. It was stored "loose" and looked to be a MESS at best. So I decided to use the converter off the "junk" trans from the truck. I took the converter to Perfect Converter on the west side - they cut it apart - cleaned it - checked it for wear & blessed it for service again.

So I'm ready to reassemble things again. - Just gotta haul the "new" trans from the basement to the garage - my back already aches just from the thought of it!!!!!!!

Granted the original plan was to rebuild this thing - and who knows maybe I will just yet, but it was so darn clean I had to try it out as is - it's in a billion times better shape than the one that I took out - so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Wish me luck!!

Jacin
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Good Luck!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well the HARD PART is done!!!!! I carried the "new" trans from the basement to the garage - Holy crap - it was even heavier than I remembered!!! Ibuprofen is my friend!!!! We'll see how well I move tomorrow. To Be Continued
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Today's update - well murphy did his very best (as usual) to thwart progress, but in spite of that SOB I still managed to get the cast iron monster back in the '47 today. I was a little nervous at first fireup as I had no REVERSE, but a quick adjustment to the shift cable and now reverse is fine - still gotta read up on adjusting those to make sure it's 100%.

Next issue is the lack of upshift - I know from past experience that these are cranky that way if the TP cable isn't adjusted/working correctly. So I still have my fingers crossed that THAT'S the upshift problem. Too much Carbon Monoxide and blue smoke to work any further today. Yeah the old hemi does burn a little oil :oops:

To Be Continued...
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Got the upshift to work today. Can't wait for good weather to unseal the garage and take it for a spin!!!

I need to focus on the fan shroud and possibly a "new" (read bigger) radiator. And power steering and...

It never ends ;-)
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Congratulations.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

[quote="Racin'Jacin"]Got the upshift to work today. Can't wait for good weather to unseal the garage and take it for a spin!!!

OK, Jacin, you really have me curious. How in the world are you testing the upshifting of the tranny with the car in a "sealed garage"??? What am I missing here?
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

WXO, It's simple really. You make your plan first, adjust and then test QUICKLY!!! Man doors open, but the big door is "sealed" for the winter ;-(

I am seriously considering getting a industrial hose reel (big kind) and putting it in the attic so I could drop it down like an air line to do closed door testing. Gotta see what shakes out of the woodwork at our favorite Industrial Surplus Store ;-)