Cast Iron Torqueflite!!!!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: Cast Iron Torqueflite!!!!

Post by wxo »

Huh????
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You running that thing on jackstands I presume :?:

Requesting a pic of the seal job on the garage door.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Ahh yes jack stands! I raised the truck up a few inches - just to give me a little working room under there. I still lust for a lift - this is one of those times I get reminded of that. Anyways, yeah - I've run it a couple times on the stands - the problem is that I don't have anything to compare this to - in terms of shift points with no load. Since it shifted at all - I think I'm gonna call it "GOOD" for the time being and postpone any more fiddling with it until I can road test it.

We did the old Rambler Convertible at Stan's shop on jack stands (well the lift really) & it shifted fine - you could see & hear it shift real easy. But in terms of this Iron T/F I've read that if you have the TV linkage adjusted too aggressively - it'll shift so fast you won't even realize it - I think that's what I was seeing on the jack stands. With no load possibly making it even worse. Without more experience on these I think there's not much else I can really test for now - short of putting a 300psi guage on it and checking the various pressure points. That too sounds like work to be done on the LIFT!!!! Naw - I'm too lazy for this right now - I'm gonna stick a fork in it and call it done. At least until warmer weather.

Of course I still wanna tear one of these iron beasts entirely apart and now I even have a couple cores... I will plan on going thru one of my other spares at some future point.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

WXO, The hose reel comment is to run the exhaust up and out into the attic :-)
wxo

Post by wxo »

Ah, yes, jackstands. :oops: That well known and well used technique. I've used it myself. I can't even explain how that never occurred to me. A senior moment?? Alzheimer's??
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Racin'Jacin wrote:WXO, The hose reel comment is to run the exhaust up and out into the attic :-)
"into the attic" doesn't sound like "out". :shock: You know your situation, and I don't, but how about something like this?

http://www.totalvac.com/3030.html?zmam= ... &zmap=3030
Maverick
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Maverick, I like it! The attic is vented to the outside - pretty well (ridge vent) probably not as good as a dedicated outlet, but worst case I kill some mice up there - hey that might be cheaper than the traps!!!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well I took the truck for a test ride the other day. It shifted out of 1st at 20 and into 3rd at 25 and I never did get it to downshift - so some adjustments are in order. However all 3 forward gears - so I am thrilled. Also NO DELAY when putting it into DRIVE - I'm VERY OPTIMISTIC!!!!

Racin'Jacin
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Nothin' like the thrills and excitement of the first drive,
especially when things seem to be going right. :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Yeah I've been tinkering back and forth with the kickdown - it was modified way back and I'm not too sure it was ever "right" and it may need some re-engineering to get it to work perfectly. In the meantime - it still seems to be working perfectly. Which gets me more time to round up more rebuild parts for my next spare! For reasons unknown the rebuild kits for these particular tranys are stupid money -IIRC around $450 for a complete kit - that's just parts and no converter. I spent $225 to have the converter alone redone. I can't imagine having to pay someone to rebuild one of these! You'd have $775 JUST in parts!!!! Yikes. Now I see why they get 4 bills for the adapter kits!!

I will take it for another test drive today and see if the last round of kickdown adjustments moved me in the right direction or not.

Bought some sort of vertical old tool cabinet from HGR the other week. It fits the era of the truck fairly well I think. I mounted it horizontal and it actually doesn't look half bad - still needs painted, but I can live with that for a little while. The tire is actually bolted to what was the base of the cabinet and works out very well since the door is offset it doesn't rub the tire when you open it. Finally a place to organize some road tools and other various junk!!!

Racin'Jacin

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

And if you need a tow, you won't need the Yellow Pages...

-BP