2004 GTO

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

2004 GTO

Post by wxo »

OK, here's the new replacement for the Z/28 (Let's have a moment of silence). She was a good hotrod. I'll keep posting updates on her as I find the time to inspect the damage in detail and decide what to do with her.

In the mean time here's the new hotrod. It's an LS1 2004 GTO upgraded with 2005/06 hood (with scoops) and rear facia. It has a Borla cat-back exhaust and K&N cold air system added. According to CarFax, she spent her first year and first 15k miles of her now 43k in North Olmsted, Ohio. I looked for residual corrosion, but if there is some, there's not much to see. She looks pretty clean. I guess, I'll find out when I try to take something apart underneath.
She was found on Craigslist and belonged to a young North Carolina country girl. As we were taking the test drive, Randi sat in the front and Leslie sat in the back seat. I was kind of taking it easy on the country roads with the owner in back when we came to a nice straight stretch of road. Suddenly, I heard from the back seat "This is a good place. Romp on it!" So I did. Leslie, (now a mother of a one year old) exclaimed something like "I still love that feeling!"

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 2004 GTO

Post by TireSmoker »

Walt, that looks like an awesome replacement for the Z/28! Same basic engine/trans in a much different chassis. I don't remember how long you owned the Z/28, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on how differently the two cars drive and handle.

I've seen plenty of those things running around down here, where they're called Monaro's, but judging by the vanity plates, many like to refer to them as GTO's. I personally think it's kinda cool that the car has a NE Ohio connection.

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

Dave,
By my seat of the pants, the GTO feels heavier and slower. I want to get it over to the dyno soon to see how they compare at the rear wheels. BP stated that the GTO is 300 lbs heavier.
and it feels that way. On the other hand, it is a lot more comfortable than the Z/28. When I get a chance, I'll post an video of the Borlas.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I just had a spin in the WXO's new ride. VERY nice!!! Doesn't feel quite as fast by seat of the pants as the Camaro but still lots of fun. When we took the Camaro to the chassis dyno the guy said the tune was dead on. Be interesting to see what he has to say about the GTO. Might be a few more horses there. :twisted:
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks great to me! I really like the interior. Definitely a nicer place to be than in the Camaro. I've sat in a new GTO, but never had a chance to drive one. I like the dual exhaust w/split outlet upgrade (the '04's exited on one side), and I also love the scoops on the hood. Looks like a real nice ride. And at most it saw one winter, but I'm guessing with the upgrades and the mileage, it didn't see much, if any salt.

Enjoy!

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Nice! good find. I like those cars :mrgreen:
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Nice car!!! Those cars have a big following, and guys really make them fly!! There is plenty to work with
with that car. Enjoy working on it. Sell the camaro and put all of the money into making it go fast!! There is
a certain Cadillac you can beat if you work hard enough at it........
wxo

Post by wxo »

I did my first tinkering on the Goat today. The front wheels had an intermittent wobble when slowing down. It didn't really feel like the stuttering you get with warped rotors, but I decided to get the rotors resurfaced anyway and start from there. The first problem was removing the rotors from the hub what with all that North Olmsted rust holding it together. I'm just not used to working under these kinds of conditions. Finally with the help of PB Blaster and a hammer I persuaded them to come off. The brake pads looked like they had plenty of stopping material left, so I decided to reuse them.
When I got the rotors back and started getting things back together, I noticed that the inboard pads on both front wheels had the same problem. They each have a metal plate stuck to the back of the pad, but the plate was out of place. It was skewed at a 30 degree angle off the centerline of the pad. It was the same on the other side. These are two piston calipers and the mark where the piston contacts the pad was halfway off the metal shim. I think this may be the cause of the wobble. It could be that the pad was not firmly held to the rotor allowing it to rock slightly. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The brakes work great now.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

My first look at the 2004 GTO. Excellent choice! It might be a few tenths behind the 1999 Camaro,
however that can be overcomed if you wanted to do it,
but on the street the difference isn't worth talking about. Enjoy!!!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

welcome home, Fred. We drove the Goat down here to the beach and it was a fine ride...smooth, comfortable, quiet (except for a pleasant but unobtrusive rumble) with the potential of nice power on tap (if needed).
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

WXO ..... I think the problem with your braking has to do with horsepower. First, you need a cold air induction kit. Then a 160 degree thermostat will do. After that a ported throttle body. Next, do some low restriction exhaust. Etc ... If you just
keep bolting on horsepower adders you will find that the accelerator pedal is way more exciting than the brake pedal, you will use the brakes less, and the problem will not be so prominent. Just a suggestion... :)

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

GM, the GTO came with a K&N cold air package and Corsa cat-backs so I am already ahead of the game. The rest will come as time and money permits.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Maverick and I went to RPM Motorsports this morning for a DynoJet run to see what's goin' on under the hood. The first run hot off the street turned out 308 HP and 325 ft/lbs. Ryan the tuner said that he saw some things that could change that would make it run better, so I gave him the green light to go ahead. An hour and a half later, following a cool-down period he ran two more pulls. The first pull turned out 330 HP and 344 ft/lbs. The second pull right after it showed 327 HP. It was hitting 140 mph at the top of fourth gear. It's amazing what a laptop in the hands of the right person can do. I could feel the difference on the ride home.

Here's a video of one of the runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ1-MoHeQMY
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Now.. That Sounds GOOD! I have V8 envy. Those are some impressive numbers.
Is the car chipped? Because you mentioned he was able to tune it with a laptop. I'm not familiar with GM fuel/ ignition systems. VW stuff...well the older ones, needs a chip or standalone to "tune" it (A common complaint amongst VW watercooled guys).
Oh...one more question ..not that it matters.. but, I'm curious to what the fuel mileage is? Tiresmoker was getting some great numbers in his Grand Prix ( a 14 sec. car) I have a feeling that they are also pretty good in your car considering the weight and power output that it has.
wxo

Post by wxo »

No chip, Chris. The tuners have the ability to change the tables with a laptop. As to gas mileage, I get an honest 17-18 in town if I can keep myself from winding it out all the time. It's hard to do because it likes to run. It will get about 26 mpg with steady interstate driving at 75 MPH. My Vette and Camaro would get easily 30 mpg on a trip with the same engine and trans. I guess the extra weight of the GTO makes the difference.