Project: Cheap Bastage - Transmission Rebuild/Repair

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Project: Cheap Bastage - Transmission Rebuild/Repair

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Ok so the next chapter in Operation Cheap Bastage is the rebuilding of the transmission for my old Rambler Convertible. The trans has been "acting up" for the last couple years (yeah I know - can't rush into these things) anyways I scored a spare trans at Canfield and it's been sittin' long enough so I decided I'd finally get off my dead arse and have a lookie see.

The trans is a BorgWarner T35 aka Flash-o-matic 3 speed automatic.
While it was a mess inside (dirt mostly) mechanically speaking it was in pretty good shape. I put new frictions and steels, seals etc and then I ran into some issues. First one of the valves in the valve body was badly pitted - it was definitely a dead palyer. At first I scoured my bin of drill bits looking for a donor the right diameter, but the only one I found wasn't suitable - damn stampings right where I need it smooth. So my buddy brought me a chunk of drill rod. I machined it close (.001" over) heated it cherry red and dunked it in oil. It hardened up nicely. I then polished it to the appropriat size and VIOLA - I'm in business!!!!

While I was all busy pattin' myself on the back - I next proceeded to put a nice scuff mark into the annular piston from the front clutch drum - son-of-a &^^%$#!!!!!!
After calling around I actually found a NOS one for 11 bucks!!! How sweet it is baby!!!! So this time I decided I'd be extra extra careful assembling it - and naturally I F-ed it up AGAIN!!!! *&*&$$*($#$#^%*(_!!!!!!

OK - I give up - so I grabbed an old piece of water pipe and proceeded to machine a steel repair sleeve to press into this piston - a machined in a small head on one side so I'd not have to worry about it ever moving out. It came out pretty well. I next pressed it into place and this time I measured to every turn of the nut to make sure it was seating squarely every second! Viola!! It went together as it was supposed to!!! Finally!!!

I think it'll be ok, but only time will tell. I'll update this when I finally get the trans swapped into the car!!! Wish me luck!!!!

At least I still have the (sick) trans incase I goofed this one up without knowing it!!!! :-)

To Be Continued...

Racin'Jacin

Cheap Bastage

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well, after Murphy did his best to bone me I finally got the "new" trans swapped in (after a last minute output shaft swap) and cruised it home from my buddy's shop last night. It was a tad cold, but it seemed to work fine!! woo hoo. I have yet to go out this morning and look for any leaks - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Racin'Jacin

Operation Cheap Bastage Trans Reuild

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well I checked the trans the following morning and much to my dismay there was a pretty good sized puddle of ATF underneath the car!!!

As I envisioned all the possible crummy scenarios - yanking the rear end to yank the driveshaft to yank the trans I ultimately found that the trans gasket must have taken a "set" and allowed the weaping of fluid. I retorqued the bolts - wow they were very loose and so far so good. I think have to keep an eye on things for a while.

So far Operation Cheap Bastage Trans Repair has proven sucessful - I hope I don't jinx myself by saying that.

Maybe now I can get off my dead a$$ and start planning Operation Cheap Bastage - Engine Rebuild.

My buddy suggested that I consider tossing this bizzare rear end and goofy driveshaft and convert eveything over to an 8 or 9 inch rear - I gotta say I wouldn't mind that - something to keep in mind.

Probably before that I need to fix the BENT driveshaft that we discovered - explains that goofy vibration I've been searching for awhile now. ;-0
wxo

Post by wxo »

Ok, Racin, we've been reading a lot about the repairs you've been makin' and seen a few parts here and there, but we have yet to see a picture of the actual car which the reason for all this work. What d'ya say? How about a few pics of the car?
Racin'Jacin

Project Cheap Bastage - Evidence

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Pics? Sure I got some here somewhere....

You can see us crusin' around Willowick quite often - usually up to Jerry's or CP's to get the kids some Ice Cream cones - it's a family tradition!

BTW - this is the only car that I have that I try to keep pretty "stock" looking - I mean I'm not a fanatic about it or anything like that - I have upgraded to disc brakes, custom collapseable steering column, HEI ignition, and so on. And believe me when I say, " I GOTTA LOOSE those bias ply tires!!!!!! QUICK!!!"
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Love the car! But do you drive it from the back seat? That's a pretty small car.... :)

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Mr. Racin'..... Love the drop top!!! I think that I detected an emergency brake lying on the ground under the passenger side front wheel in the top photo. Is that a factory option, or just an add on????

GM
Racin'Jacin

Operation cheap Bastage - Trans Repair

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Paul, What do ya mean! By today's standards it's a big car! Hey if you think THAT looks small - you ought to see one with a hemi stuffed in there - thank god for TILT front ends!!!! (My other one has a 392 Hemi in it - it's a hardtop - my first car had since I was 15)

GMJohnny, that pic was from awhile ago - so I can't remember why I had a block there unless it was just coincidence - after all it's an automatic!!!

It's been a great family car - kids love it!!!