AK Rover's Van

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

AK Rover's Van

Post by GMJohnny »

Hey, up there in Alaska, shoot us some photos of your new hot rod!!
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I have no hot rodding plans for this thing and I doubt that the tires will ever smoke, but here it is, a 2001 Chevy G3500 cargo van with 28,000 miles. I had to consult with GMJohnny before writing a check for one of these odd GM products (what's a 350 chevy???)

GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Nice hot rod. I am sure you are the only one with a 110 v service port on the front of their car!! It appears very clean. We should all buy our vehicles from Alaska....
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

After we talked, I went back and crawled underneath every corner. This thing is super clean - I had to buy it. It has been banged and dented a few times, but without any salt, it has no rust.

I used the 110V service this morning as it was about 12 degrees. The thing isn't just northern equipped, it came from Fairbanks so it has pan heaters on the engine and transmission along with the normal block heater for the engine. That should help the resale, especially if I end up selling it in Florida.

My first project was getting it in the garage. After rearranging bicycles and tool boxes, I loaded the back of the van with the summer tires/wheels from two cars and had my wife stand on the bumper to weigh it down. Even with all that, the roof brushed on the rubber seal on the top of the garage door. No clearance at all.

Installed a steering wheel cover and some seat covers. The interior is a little plain and showing its age.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

The cool thing that we have found at work about those vans is that GM made a bazillion of them. You should have no problem finding parts for them used, new, or aftermarket. They are interchangeable with GMC (obviously), and the van should run forever. We did have issues with out panel vans with exhaust manifolds cracking, due largely to loose exhaust system bolts, so I'd check those over carefully. Also, the distributor was a weird set up, and we had to install a new one in one of the vans. It was really cheap though, around $60.00. Now you need to put some plush carpet and speaker boxes in the back, jammin' ELO and you will have it made!!!
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I spent most of the weekend working on the van. It was single digits outside so there wasn't much better to do and a heated garage makes life easy. It is the first time I have really worked on a vehicle in years. It was nice to cut my hands up again. Projects underway are all electrical. I am installing a backup camera with a separate blindspot camera selectable with a dash mount switch. I am installing a brake controller and an RV plug. I am also installing a power inverter. It is so nice to work in such a spacious vehicle. Wire routings are relatively easy in a big metal box.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I think those back up cameras are mint. A customer who comes to the shop has one on his truck and he can easily hook up our trailers without jumping out to check. I was thinking that it might be a cool option to have some sort of wall between the cargo area and the driver's area to keep heat in and things in back from coming up front. It also might be a way to organize things better and utilize space. I also think some cool mags and a "Chico & The Man" carpet in the back would be cool too, so what do I know.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Any chance you'll be putting some half moon shaped windows toward the back of each side?

-BP
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Why go the hippie route when you could go A-Team? Black with red stripe and spoiler too! Bah bah bah bah, bah bah bah! Can I be Howling Mad Murdock?
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Hey, if he does it right, he can be "livin' in a van down by the river!"
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning the A-team direction. I love it when a plan comes together.

I have finished most of the electrical work. My cameras are working and I figured out what to do with the extra wire for the RV plug (separate brake and turn signal bulbs requires a converter). I checked the exhaust manifold bolts - all good. I am working on how to secure cargo. I would hate to be in a mnior accident but get killed by my cargo. I have heard gruesome stories about skis and I have five pairs that are coming with us, not to mention the six bicycles. I found some roof racks at 60% off to haul the kayaks.

We bought a trailer to attach to the van. We got a 28 foot Surveyor travel trailer. This should keep us from living in the van when we park down by the river.

We are quitting our jobs on Monday and preparing for the ultimate road trip. Happy New Year.
GMJohnny

Re: AK Rover's Van

Post by GMJohnny »

Time for an update on the van, and on the "rolling palace" too!
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

We just got back from our first trip in the new rig. The van has been running great and handled the big trailer adequately. Recent work includes:
• Adjusted the backup cameras to give better coverage of the hitch – works great
• Fixed the RV plug wiring – wiring diagram was backward, not my fault
• Installed fishing rod racks
• Installed indoor/outdoor carpeting from wheel wells forward
• Bought two used tires for fronts (tires dated 2007)
• Fabricated racking to securely hold six bikes across the back of the van
• Reduced driver’s door wind noise with some weather stripping and duct tape
The trailer systems all checked out on our first trip. No upgrades so far. Our condo is on the market so we could soon be living in the trailer. Here is our first camp site.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

AKROVER wrote:• Fabricated racking to securely hold six bikes across the back of the van
There are only two of you right? You must be hard on bikes :lol:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Six bikes gives us just the bare necessities: two full suspension off road bikes (fun), two ultralight road bikes (fast), and two heavy duty bikes set up for hauling gear (bike based fishing, photography, and camping)