1999 Z/28

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

1999 Z/28

Post by wxo »

This project car is a 1999 Camaro Z28 purchased from the original owner.
With 54000 on the clock, it was bone stock until just about 30 minutes ago.
I have now added a resistor to defeat the skip shift solenoid on the 6 speed.
That resistor has unleashed a great deal of pent up horsepower as can be seen in the accompanying picture.

I also fixed a rattle in the left rear by tightening the spare tire mount.
The next order of business is to replace the driver's side power window motor. I remember GMJohnie's advice to stay away from Dorman window motors. Since the OEM motor seems to have a high failure rate, I'm not sure what to buy.

I'm also thinking about a line lock. I'd like some insight on how difficult it
is to install.
Last edited by wxo on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'd say something is pent up, but it's probably got something to do with the loose nut at the wheel! :P

On the window motor, before you buy a new one, take the cap off the old one, clean the brushes and the copper on the motor where they ride. Then plug it back in, it may work. It worked on my Regal, but be careful to mark the cap so you put it back on the right way. If you get the magnets backwards, your window will run the wrong way according to your up/down switch, I now have auto up instead of auto down...

For line lock, check the Summit catalog. I believe that SLP makes a kit for the Camaro to save you from having to bend brake lines. If not, it's not that hard to do. If you can put a hydraulic clutch in a truck that had a manual clutch, this will be a relatively easy project for you. I recommend buying a good kit, finding a good place under the hood to mount (inner fender maybe), measure roughly how much length you'll need for your new brake lines, and go to the parts store and get the closest length they have already made with the fittings and flares already on it.

Good luck!

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Good tip on the window motor, BP. I'll give it a try.

I saw the SLP kit after I posted. I think I'll spring for it instead of bending brake lines. I waste a lot of tubing with bad bends.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Since they have a kit, I assume there is no trouble with a line lock and ABS on the same car.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yep. SLP ad states that it is compatible with ABS.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

A line loc in a car with a stick, will prove quite nice. The Nova has one plumed to the fronts only. I cut and bent. Having a double flair tool is required. I put the switch on the shifter.

What's the rear gear?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1999 Z28

Post by TireSmoker »

wxo wrote:This project car is a 1999 Camaro Z28 purchased from the original owner.
With 54000 on the clock, it was bone stock until just about 30 minutes ago.
Excellent! That's the Tiresmoke.Org way.

Anxiously awaiting a pic of YOU doing a burnout. :-)

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

It's a 3.42, Mark. I love the way the rear gearing, the tranny ratios and the engine work together. The LS1 will putt along quite nicely in 6th gear on the 45 mph city streets with only an occasional downshift to 5th. I'm anxious to see what the gas mileage will be. The owner stated that he has seen 30 mpg on the highway. We'll see. but I'm having a bit of trouble keeping my foot out of it. Too much fun!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Oh boy!! More burnouts!! :twisted: Got a date for the strip yet?? Not before I get home, I hope.

Nice car.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Maverick, you are close enough for a short trip to the Cleveland area and Thompson Raceway Park with Lois' Caddy. I'd bet you would get a very good reception.

I've got a lot of things rolling around in my mind regarding the Z28. I'd like to put it on a dyno for some baseline numbers. Of course a trip to the strip should be in the works too.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I got a chance to spend some time with the Z28 this weekend while Randi was away. I washed and waxed it. Nothing like washing and waxing your car to learn the truth of it's condition. This car's body and paint is in very nice shape except for the roof. It will need a repaint. I subscribed to AllData and read the TSB and learned that the flaws in the roof paint are a known problem. I plan to contact the dealer where it was purchased (Hendrick), to see if they might consider fixing it. (Yeah, when pigs fly).
The rest of the paint is very nice with only a couple of minor dents that show up only in the right lighting.

I also changed the power window motor on the driver's side. I was going to attempt a fix as BP suggested, but after tearing into the door, I decided I didn't want to do this again, so I got a new motor and put it in. It operated the window so strongly, that now, in comparison, the passenger side is going really slowly. I ordered another motor for that side.

I like the wheels on the car, but I'm thinking of going to the optional 17 size. I'm also thinking that I like the painted silver finish rather than Chrome. I'm looking at trying to find some of the C5 wheels like GMJohnny just put on his Vette, but with the silver finish. I'm also thinking that I'd like to use 17 inch all around rather than the 17 & 18 sizes that the Vette uses. They are a pain 'cause you can't rotate them and the tires are costly. Maybe I should just stick with 16 inchers. The tires on the car now have about half their tread left, so I have some time to decide before I need to buy tires (unless I smoke off all the tread on the rears).
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I believe the Camaro SS wheels were an equal size set of 17's, and they are around for about the same money as the Vette wheels. Also a five star design with a little thicker spoke and the right width (I believe 9").

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Good thought, BP. Those are the old Corvette ZR1 wheels. They would look good also. I like the 5 spokes because they are easy keep clean.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Good idea on going with silver painted as opposed to chrome. Chrome looks so good when clean, but keeping them that way is a chore. If I could go back and do it again, I'd get the silver wheels, strictly from a maintenance stand point.
wxo

Post by wxo »

With six speeds to choose from, you need an appropriate handle with which to stir.
The stock, large leathery shift ball was not to my liking, so I contacted my trusty shift ball dealer, Greg Harmon, and he supplied me with a more nicely sized 1 7/8 ball. Now I can stir the gears in comfort. It feels just right. :D

I also called Hendrick Chevrolet to inquire about maintenance records. I spoke to a service advisor who remembered Daren, the previous owner. She readily agreed to print and send me the service records. She was less agreeable about repainting the roof per the TSB. Oh well, it never hurts to ask. Next, I will get a few estimates from body shops.