1999 Z/28

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1999 Z/28

Post by wxo »

Maverick just sent me this link: http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
It validates my thoughts on replacing the cradle. Plus it looks like it would make it really easy to replace the struts and control arms with the whole assembly out of the car.

This could be a lot of fun!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Now all ya need is a parts car, say... an LS1, that's been hit hard in the back... 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Grandaughter Noelle is here 6/12 thru 7/17. Working on the Camaro could be almost as much fun as having your
grandaughter staying with you for the summer.
If you and Maverick don't have the Camaro finished early, I could be on a plane to join the party on the 18th. Grins :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Love it!! Great project!! WXO, does that family room AC come out of the wall? :mrgreen:
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Based on that write-up on lifting the body off the motor, this will all have to be done outside (sans A/C). My garage ceiling is not high enough.
Anyway the next hurdle is to find out how much it will cost in both time and effort to get the frame and unibody straightened to my satisfaction. If that works out, then I will have to decide if I want to deal with pulling the dash to fix the airbag on the passenger side. I might have been a bit premature in suggesting that Fred get on the plane to Raleigh.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It won't cost that much time to spec out everything that needs done. Once you have an estimate you can decide if it's worth it.

You already have a replacement toy so there is no rush.

Also, eventually Maverick will be done with the Maverick and looking for something to do. Maybe he'll be interested if you are not.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I'd be looking for an old Chevy pickup to receive that engine & transmission. :twisted:
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Walt,

My old neighbor in Lyndhurst has a '97 Camaro SS (LT1) and he's pulled the engine numerous times from the top in a cramped little garage. While doing it from the bottom could have some advantages, it's certainly not the only way to do it. Food for thought.

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

Dave, I like the idea of dropping it from the bottom because of the damage to the engine cradle which would need to be replaced. But as Andy so wisely stated, I gotta spec out each part of the damage and add it up to see if I'm going down the wrong path. I keep forgetting that a car with a salvage title will sell for considerably less and may not give me back what I put into it in parts (disregarding my time and labor). As you all know, all this wild optimism about these projects turns to realism sometime. I'd rather it be sooner than later. Stay tuned.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

wxo wrote:I keep forgetting that a car with a salvage title will sell for considerably less and may not give me back what I put into it in parts (disregarding my time and labor).
In my opinion, if this is about money then your best bet is to sell it as is. If this is about the adventure and having a great story to tell, then proceed with the analysis. If it was mine I would want to make sure I was going to stay close to break even when it came time to sell.
Maverick wrote:I'd be looking for an old Chevy pickup to receive that engine & transmission. :twisted:
There has to be some 70's or 80's Vette that would love that drivetrain.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

MostMint wrote:
wxo wrote: In my opinion, if this is about money then your best bet is to sell it as is. If this is about the adventure and having a great story to tell, then proceed with the analysis.
It is about both in my reasoning. It is a balance between the two. If I ended up breaking even on the money outlay, I would do it for the fun of it. But the fun factor begins eroding as I find myself on the bad side of the break even point. Doing it and coming out ahead on the cost definitely increases the satisfaction to me.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Man, talk about a rock, and a hard place.
I think a week away from any decision making would be a good thing. Let the mind clear, and be void of any emotional issues, that would otherwise be weighting a decision.

Any way to find out what other salvage titled, 4th gens, are worth? This would be my starting point.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I think Mark is correct here touching on emotional issues. I have seen many people hold on to a car because it "was a great car," or they "had such great times in it." That tends to cloud rational thinking. If WXO is not doing the repair because he wants the challenge or thinks he can make money on it, then he should sell the car and put the money into something more useful to him. It is ok to sell a car you had great times in. If you sell it you will still have the memories, but not the pile of unfinished project sitting in the corner that you lost enthusiasm for. I've sold many cars that were my favorites, and have always discovered a new favorite to take its place.

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

While I'm pondering things, I have posted this ad on craigslist:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/1751301105.html
The decision may be made for me if the right person comes along.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Seems the rock, or the hard place, have shifted a bit...
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI