1999 Z/28

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Pittsburgh to Akron is probably 100 miles, you could do that in an hour
or so, see you for lunch with the Mostmint one. :lol:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

WXO ... I would be surprised if that car was not already tuned. As I understand it ( and I am not an expert ), the Vette had the better cam than the other ls models. GM did that to make it so the Vette was the almighty. I think you have stumbled into somebody's horsepower project by luck. Just an opinion. Horsepower is fun & the more you have, the more fun it is!!! GM

ps.... a credible source says cam is the way to go for most bang for the buck horsepower... but bolt on's seem more fun
wxo

Problem to ponder

Post by wxo »

I first noticed this driving back from Benson Dragstrip. I heard a rattle coming from the shifter. It really sounded like it was coming from the shift ball, but it was tight. You can put your hand on it and the rattle will stop. It is much more noticable when accelerating. The interesting thing is that it is not there when first starting the car in the morning. It appears after everything heats up. I'm worrying that I broke something in the transmission and it's causing the the shifter to rattle.
wxo

Solution??

Post by wxo »

OK, the first post was just a teaser. I think I solved the problem. I spent several days listening and testing and finally decided to swap out the shifter ball for another one. It worked! No more noise. Then I took the ball and started tapping it with my knuckle and was able to recreate the noise.
It's hard to believe that as tight as the brass insert is, that it could rattle as loud as it did. Yesterday, I dribbled super glue between the insert and the ball and have not heard the rattle. In the mean time I emailed the guy who I buy all my shifter balls from and he agreed to replace it if necessary.
wxo

Post by wxo »

GMJohnny wrote: ps.... a credible source says cam is the way to go for most bang for the buck horsepower... but bolt on's seem more fun
GM, it seems my tuner at RPM has convinced me to go to long tube headers and exhaust. Yeah, I know I bad mouthed the cost, but I believe it to be the right foundation block to start with. This will be a long term upgrade so I will be looking for used headers and exhaust parts over time in my own penny pinching style. This little hot rod has really got my juices flowing.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

wxo wrote: This little hot rod has really got my juices flowing.
Yea, and it probably got worse since you started rubber coating the pad... 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
wxo

Post by wxo »

markss327 wrote:
wxo wrote: This little hot rod has really got my juices flowing.
Yea, and it probably got worse since you started rubber coating the pad... 8)
It seems that you've been there and done that.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

This little hot rod has really got my juices flowing.
Mine too!! How's it looking for the drag strip Thursday? #1 son is still planning to be here.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

OK. Let's go. If you take your vehicle, maybe I can take the tires I cooked in front of my garage. They still have some passes left on them and they are real sticky now. :D
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

WXO....I have found that ebay is a great way to get good used parts for cheaper. ( I know that you already know that. ) The cool thing is that there are tons of LS powered vehicles out there that people are constantly upgrading. Getting their cast-offs is a wonderful thing. Seems like anything you do to intake or exhaust helps a bunch. Just read the forums and they will be happy to tell you how to waste your money wisely.
GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

This looks almost too good to pass up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LXYWCI

I've discovered Amazon auto parts and in many cases their prices are the lowest around.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:This looks almost too good to pass up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LXYWCI

I've discovered Amazon auto parts and in many cases their prices are the lowest around.
OH YEAH!!!

Chevys probably don't have the problem, but I had to research Mav headers carefully to get some that fit. If you haven't checked the forums it might save youself some headaches. Some of the Maverick headers have to be beaten into submission to go in. The long list of vehicles those are supposed to fit would make me a little suspicious.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The problem with long tubes is that you're looking at a completey new exhaust system, which most likely won't hang right under your car. The way the F-body is set up is for a single sided exhaust, and long tubes get pretty messy. You should look for a complete header and Y-pipe assembly that will most likely bolt to your existing cat converter. These stock replacements usually are all 50 state legal also.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yep. I understand that LT's are a big commitment. I have more research to do, so plans are subject to change, but I'm looking at the headers plus catted Y pipes into the stock exhaust for phase 1. Anyway I have as much time as I want to figure things out. If I can't get what I want for the price I want, I'll just can the whole idea.
wxo

Wreck after Spring Carlisle

Post by wxo »

After a great weekend at Carlisle, Jim and I were 25 miles from home when a 16 year old girl pulled into my path and caused a violent accident. No injuries were sustained because the airbags did their job well. Her insurance paid for a week in a rental car and then totaled my Camaro. I was given a reasonable amount for my car and opted to keep it. I'm pleased with the settlement. Following are some photos of the accident scene.
This is the girl's Honda. She was heading North while I was going South and she turned left at the intersection into my path. There was a vehicle just ahead of her heading North also. I believe it was between us just before the crash and prevented us from seeing each other until the last second. My left front took off the front of her Honda. My tow truck driver in picking up the debris, brought me the inner bumper from her car thinking it belonged to the Camaro. It was cleanly sheared off in the wreck.