MKII GTI VR6

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You don't need no stinkin' alignment!

The car sounds great, and the interior looks to be track ready, so there's nothing more to do there...

Congratulation on getting it running down the road. It sounds like a race car! VR6's are funny little motors, and they sound awesome and are sooo smooth.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Something special about a first drive. What a thrill, you never know quite what to expect,
but it's great when everything goes the way you planned.
I enjoyed riding along with your first drive video.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Thanks guys! I was going to wait until winter on the interior but I've already started. The rear carpeting with some cleaning is surprisingly near nint. The rear side panel "cards" also cleaned up great with a little heat gun action and some new contact cement. The interior without some finish uis just a little to "rustic" for me to handle. New front carpeting is on the to do list.

Pull- a- part again yielded great results 2 frt. wiper arms w/ blades $ 7 bucks and they are brand new OE VW, taboot- seriously- I didn't even have to clean them up, not even a wipe down. I was so impressed I called Classic VW and they told me they would be happy to order new ones for me @ $45.00 each - blades not included.. Nice ..best find yet, fom there. Also got A pillar trim, rear view mirror, interior door levers, window cranks, and some sweet boxing gloves!! - pics to follow of those babies.

And heres the clutch bleeding tool I made -
The inspiration for this tool can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
I'll let you guys know how it works
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I'm starting to run out of stuff to do!! Got all the rear carpeting in and panels, shock tower brace and finalised all the hatch wiring. Window tint was removed from driver and passenger windows (it was in bad shape). Ecu mounted properly in rain tray and a bunch of little odds and ends. Still have to beed the brakes and clutch and flush the cooling system I'll get to that soon.

I've been told that the sunroof can be difficult to install and adjust on these older VW's. Not at all! I installed a new seal to replace the 20 yr old one and it went in so easy.

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm sorry to say that the gloves are really what makes the car.

That car is really looking sick! I can't wait to see it in person.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

A few weeks back I met up for Sunday breakfast with some fellow Tiresmokers.....I drove my VR. After the breakfast and a litlle show and tell in the parking lot, I left w/ Tiresmoker was behind me on his SV. We turned off of
306 on to another road and from that 2nd gear turn I nailed it and started shifting. I knew that 'smoker was reading my mind and he followed. The road was clear and I gave it all it had up until about 3000 in 4th. Not to shabby, I thought. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the SV Was not really pulling on me.Huh 8) . Later 'smoker and I went on a backroad cruise - no speed, just a shake down cruise. I learned a few things.
- Ohio backroads are rough, particularly for a lowered MKII with a VR powerplant in it. A small scrape was heard/felt. The engine oil pan sits real close to the ground, same as the CAT. Must drive speed limit on bumpy roads. Also make a skid plate for the engine (blueprints for it are online).
- I hate the MOMO steering wheel. To be replaced with a O.E. VW wheel.
- Slave cylinder and Clutch Master cylinder are Almost shot. At least I know there easy to bleed.
- Brake master Cylinder is from the 16V chassis. This is not nearly large enough for the Corrado Brakes. To much peddle effort. Will be upgrading to one from a MKIII or A late model Audi. This is normal. I just wasn't sure what it had in it.
- Torque is great I'm so used to My 1.8 8V driver that the amount of V6 grunt is so nice! : 8)
- The handling is pretty good. I wasn't "pushing " though. The combination of The shocks, springs, strut tower brace, tires and wider track suspension all really add up. Theres a track day in my future. To try pushing it on the road would be irresponsible. It sticks that well.
- All fuel pumps die eventually. The one thing I didn't replace in the fuel system had only those 40 miles left in it. It died on Sherman Rd. Luckily this is only a few miles from home. So... out came a Chevy to the rescue. Hmmm. a V8 powered VW :oops: Yes there is video of that!!
I would like to thank the Rookie for his call back and offer of help ( I broke down in his neighborhood).
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

VeeDub wrote:To try pushing it on the road would be irresponsible. It sticks that well.
Seems like a lightly traveled cloverleaf style freeway entrance or exit might give you a fix before you go to the track. Maybe 10 PM or other non rush hour time.

You going to autocross it?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

You going to autocross it?
Probably...the problem with autocrossing...IMO - its like a table dance...just enough to get the blood flowing, but not enough to get the job done. I have autocrossed and its O.K. Theres to much down time compared to seat time. Doing a track day really spoils one. Its hard to beat Nelson ledges when comparing entry fees to auto cross prices http://www.nelsonledges.com/GOTfunDays.aspx Autocross runs are to short, time wise. A track day lets you get to know your car, the track, your abilities at the limit and most importantly you are learning in a "safe" environment.
VeeDub

Re: 89 GTI VR6

Post by VeeDub »

Its been a while since I worked on it but i've been busy. With our 1990 GTI going to the junkyard ( http://tiresmoke.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=954 ) I now have all the little odds and ends (nicer seats, carpet, door cards, hardware - yaddi yadda....) that have been hard to to find.

Some POR-15 Before the carpet goes in.

Drove it over to Tiresmokers w/the interior "roughly" installed.
I hope to get back on it this week. My daily driver (91 GTI 8valve..... I know I'm asking for it...) needed to have this installed :roll: :(

My first time installing a car head. It runs good. Powerline in Mentor, Ohio did the valves, stem seals and guides. Also Tiresmoker came over and gave me some help on the ignition timing to get it started.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

we need to keep you informed when we are going to Fun Days at Nelson Ledges.
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

MostMint wrote:we need to keep you informed when we are going to Fun Days at Nelson Ledges.
Yes please do, even if I dont run the VR. I am going to the 24HR though.
I did make a GREAT Pull-a-Part score from the Akron location yesterday. They actually had a '92 Corrado VR there. Ive been looking for some hard to find parts for years. Despite the thunderstorm that I worked in (my wallet and shoes are still wet :lol: ) I got a low pressure p/s line and resevoir, a 'rado steering wheel - to replace the MOMO wheel I have in it (for sale now), knee bolster and pads and rear axle and stabilisor bar that includes the stub axles and a spare set of crossed drilled rotors. The axle is a direct bolt on and is wider and much stiffer than the 16V piece thats on there now. The axel will definately help the turn in and balance of the car because of the heavier v6 driveline.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Will this precision machine and you be available on Friday July 22? A guy I work with is having a track day at Nelson like no other on that day.
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I'm starting to get the finished interior back together. I had it roughly installed just to drive it for some shake down runs to see if everything seemed fine with the mechanicals of the driveline conversion. This also served the purpose of giving me the motivational boost to get going on the interior.
If I was just installing the "stock" dash this would go alot quicker. Instead I'm going with the Corrado SLC dash board (definately lacking any STOCKNESS :mrgreen: ) This will allow for the use of the Corrado VR6 gauge cluster so I'll have functional gauges, the MFA features and the nicer looking dash.
This is fairly involved as nothing fits with the Golf GTI body. Things to modify:
1. Remove 7/8" from the leading edge of the Corrado dash using poster board template made from a GTI dash.
2. Relocate Corrado dash cowl mounts to match body.
3. Weld on extension tabs to body- to match cut down dashboard.
4. Remove Golf body steering column mounts as this will interfere with the VR gauge cluster.
5. Fabricate column mount for the Corrado column.
6. Shorten Corrado knee bar by 1"
7. Fabricate and modify knee bar to body mounts.
8. Raise HVAC plenum(s) to match the new dash.
9. "Massage" HVAC duct work with a heat gun to match dash vents.

It might sound like PITA but its really not that bad and the final result I've seen on other peoples cars looks great.

Heres the column mount and knee bar I fabbed
Image Image
Custom wrench to tighten column to body! Knee bar cut and ready to weld
Image Image
I'll get up more pictures later. I would also like to thank Ken for the use of his welder. The dash conversion is basically impossible without cutting and welding.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like a plan. Love your courage.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

There is another track day coming up in Sept or Oct. Just sayin.
-BP[/quote]