MKII GTI VR6

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: MKII GTI VR6

Post by wxo »

I'm also a fan of Kuhmos. We are now running our second set on my wife's Camry. The first set were Ecsta ASX's and we liked them enough to ask around for them when it came time for replacement.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This is what I ran on my truck with great results so far. Mine didn't come with a wear warranty and have a slightly different tread pattern now, but seem to have held up pretty well and handled GREAT when they were warm. Be warned though, when it's cold outside, they're like driving on marbles. It's amazing what a 40 degree swing in temperature will do.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes

I think the next tire I get for the truck will be a high performance all season instead of a summer only tire, with the hopes that it will stick more consistently when it's colder outside. Since summer is so short around here, and cars make more power when it's cold...

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Basement Paul wrote: Be warned though, when it's cold outside, they're like driving on marbles. It's amazing what a 40 degree swing in temperature will do.
Since summer is so short around here, and cars make more power when it's cold...
-BP
Thats a really good point I didn't really consider that. Obviously, I wont drive in the snow -but on a sunny 40 degree day, I'll want to drive it. I'll keep looking at more options.
Edit... i just double checked the tires on the car- they were made in the 13th week of 2000. :P
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Bridgestone RE-11's :wink:
Just got them on tonight. I haven't pushed them yet.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Let me know what you think of them. I'm due for another set on my truck...

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

With the temperatures getting colder, I thought i better get in gear and take care of the cooling system.
I added the mercedes benz flush Moday night after draining remarkably clean water out. The evapo-rust treatment I did when i pulled the engine worked great. There wasn't much for the flush to remove.
I planned to drive the cat to work this morning to give the flush a little more time to work. when i went out to the garage... there was ALOT of water on the ground. With no time to play around I drove the 8valve to work.
After work I decided to just get that stuff out and access the leaking. When I pulled the drain out of the cooling pipe, I was showered in pressurized citic acid/water mix. The pressure in the system was high enough to find a few week spots in some hose connections. That caused the mess on the garage floor.
I flushed the flush out for 30 minutes or so. Refilled with Pentosin G-12. I ran the car with no apparent leaks.
There must have been a reaction causing the pressure to bleed the Benz mix out. All seems well at the moment.
Now on to the heater core for Mollys Passat.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Stockness

I never liked the "de-badged" grill.
I ended up getting this for free :mrgreen: . There was a clip that was broken during shipping. Rather than make me wait for a back order (I got the last one), they just issued me a refund and said "just keep it".
The emblem was on a 98 Jetta at PAP. Cost me $2 and change for that.
I think it looks much better. This is the style grill that was used on 89~92 Golfs in europe
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You should try to run it this weekend. 60's will be WAY better than upper 80's for your e.t. Plus you could try out those new tires.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

What a nice look. New tires help everything. BP is right, as the temperature goes down so does your ET.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I can't make it this weekend. Here's the to do list:
1. I'm going to put the Corrado Rear beam on this weekend.
2. I have to make a tool to press in the new beam bushings.
3. Also yet another front left wheel bearing :roll: GRRR.
4. Install the aftermarket rear stabilizer bar.
5. Alignment
I just ordered the bearing and a new hub. Mollys going to pick it up tomorrow and then drop it off at the local machine shop to get pressed in. This will be the 7th or 8th front wheel bearing Ive done in 10 months.
I'm going to try to make the last Autocross on the 21st.
The Passat heater core will wait... Got a race to be at.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I think I mught have solved the bearing problem.
The guy that pressed the new one in found the hub had been bent. The assembly he had was the 1st attemp, or my original.
After the 2nd one was pressed in by the German guy, I had decided to install a new ball joint after the press work. The pickle fork was used to pop out the ball joint. That, as we all know involves hitting the fork - repeatedly until it is extremely tight fit. Than smack the the housing area around the taper, until it "pops" loose.
I replaced the ball joint on this latest assembly Sunday. Doing the same routine as previously explained. After the new ball joint was in.... the bearing had play in it??? WTF? It was tight and smooth before I removed the ball joint. I never slipped and hit the hub and I held the spindle up in the air, when hitting the fork so I would not put any pressure on the hub.
I'm thinking the shock of repeated hits.... the same hits that loosen the ball joint from its tapered /press fit, loosened the bearing. Or pushed it outward.
Molly ran It back up to the shop today and they were more than happy to snug it up in the press. Its now spinning perfectly like before I started on the ball joint. Hmmm.
Note to self: New ball joint on first -than bearing pressed in.
Hope this helps someone out. It was a expensive and frustrating lesson for me. Ive never heard of this before.
So in summary The 1st one the shop screwed up. The 2nd I screwed up. The 3rd I almost messed up.