MKII GTI VR6

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

VeeDub

MKII GTI VR6

Post by VeeDub »

I finally started to work on the car. Theres a good amount of stuff to do on the it but its a pleasure working on a southern car that has no rust. My first task is to get it running. Before the car went in to storage- for years - :( the tranfer pump gave up. With a my XMAS gifts, a transfer pump and a fuel filter (Thanks Dave and Molly!) it should be running again soon.

I removed the gas tank because of the 7 - 8 year old gas...err... varnish, that would surely give it a hard time running correctly. I also plan on cleaning the rest of the fuel system.

Here's what was left in the tank after draing it..

Any suggestions on removing this "goop" and also flushing the lines?

Heres some more photos. Ive been waitng for years to have a garage so I can finally finish (are project cars ever finished? :P )

[/img]
Last edited by VeeDub on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisy Cricket

Re: 89 GTI VR6

Post by Noisy Cricket »

VeeDub wrote:Theres a good amount of stuff to do on the it but its a pleasure working on a southern car that has no rust.
Bastid. :)
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Its been a while since Ive posted anything on my project, but I have been working on it!. I managed to get the fuel tank cleaned out. Now with that clean as a brand new one, I've installed the tank, the new transfer pump, filter. At this point I'm just like a kid on Christmas morning, I haven't heard this thing run in years. So I decide at 9:30 at night to go up to the corner and get some fuel for it, add coolant and see if it will run. At first It wouldn't fire. After finding a loose wire and a bad Fuel pressure regulator vac. line, It started right up! And if If that wasn't enough it runs great, Smooth idle, throttle response felt great. Ive got some video of it running I'm going to get up soon.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Projects are much more motivating when they are running... looking forward to the video.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I have the video -- I just keep forgetting to upload it for him. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

-Dave
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I decided to do a little touch up painting. The painter forgot to get a few spots, the top of the fenders, where they bolt on under the hood. He also missed part of the rear hatch hinges, and the inside of the fuel door. I also decided to do the top of the radiator core support and it looks more finished now.

Before

After

I wanted to get that painting stuff out off the way because if I started to gather to much momentum, I figured I would just keep putting it off and procrastinating. I've been bouncing around alot throughout the project, possibly to avoid this :roll:

That ball of spaghetti is intimidating at first (not to mention all of the lighting,and engine bay stuff). But having the factory manuals ( Corrado and Golf platform) a great online community/ info source - vw vortex.com- and friends input its making sense now!

Tiresmoker came by to help me with a brush up on schematic reading and some questions I had about my pasta pile err... spaetzle pile?? Yah das goood now...I wasn't gettin my tach to work or speedo but after a lot of online research I got it ! 8) Gauge cluster and the front end lights are done . I have just some rear lighting and "some" tiding up to do. I think I'm starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Here's the video of it running..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrHrf8CFJ3s
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Purrs like a kitten. Something special about a 1st startup. Sound ready to go.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That thing sounds great! What's funny is right before you start the car, the guy on the radio says something about using a Fram Oil Filter. Youtube with subliminal advertising... NICE!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. The only thing better would've been a "sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!" promo.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Getting the car running with functioning gauges has really helped the motivation level. There are so many things I've been doing to the car its hard to keep track of them. Tiresmoker hit the nail on the head when he said that I'm basically putting an entire car back together.

Things done since last post -
Spliced GTI rear light wiring into the corrado harness got everything done there except the licence plate lights (had to source them) and the wiper motor.
Installed side marker/turn signals in front fenders (near the side mirrors).
Put in Corrado wiper motor on GTI Wiper assembly.
Went to pull -a-part and got squirter nozzles and all the tubing from a 89 golf. And a 96 Passat VR washer pump and tons of misc. hardware. Installed all of that stuff.
Fixed fuel pump housing - small hairline crack- That was fun :roll: I feel that I could remove/ install that pump assembly in my sleep!
With Tiresmokers and my GF's fathers help, got the Drivers side glass in.
And Finally got the wiring around the fuse box all taken care of , the pile of un organised wiring is all gone. So with that done I decided to do this -
The corrado dash, with the help of a heat gun, matches up pretty well with the GTI's duct work. The dash is not perfect I just want to drive it. The Interior I decided is Low on the priority list for now. This winter will be perfect time to get the inside looking proper.
Theres still some minor stuff to do but I plan on having it on the ground and giving it some shakedown driving this weekend. Oh yeah.
EDIT: I lost a bet - :oops: - so here ya go Molly
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Hell yeah man, looking good! You've been busy.

So, what was the bet?

-Dave
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I bet that the Lakers were going to sweep the Majic. I had a feeling I might lose right around the 3rd. qtr. I didn't even watch the end of the game.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Rock On Dude!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

A couple weeks late on the video, but here's one of the first drives on July 4, 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSwXaunxnE

-Dave