1979 Trans Am

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm not making any predictions, but if I could get in the .50's this year, I'd be pretty happy. As time allows, I'll keep removing stuff, but this winter will get more serious.
For now, the driver's door is a preview of what the rest of the inside should look like eventually.

-BP

GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Looks comfortable!!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You must sacrifice for SPEED!

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Just wait till Paul takes the hole saw to the metal.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

SWISS CHEEEEZ!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So I made a late trip to TRP tonight. I got one time run into a slight headwind and after watching all the street cars before me, I took it a little easy off the line and still managed a 12.81 at 104mph with a 1.79 60'.

Pass number two was my first round in eliminations. I dialed a 12.74 thinking I should be able to run out and not worry about breaking out. I cut a .03 light to my competitions .06 and ran a 12.7378 all out (1.73 60'), and the Pinto I raced went 10.849 on a 10.85 dial. Double breakout... I lose.

There were a TON of cars, so I left assuming there would be no time runs. I'm guessing a 12.69 wasn't but another pass away as the temp was dropping pretty quickly. Needless to say I was pretty happy with the ET and the big MPH jump. I got the passenger's door done yesterday night and plan to go after the seats this weekend. I'm guessing another 50-60 lbs of savings in the seats. Hopefully next Wed will be reasonably cool. Maybe by the time Walt gets here, I can scrape into the 12.50's.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Isn't there a TON of weight in the nose of that thing, under the front bumper cover?
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Running a 12.7378 on a 12.74, aint to shabby. You knew things would pick up and all, but having to run eliminations only after one time run - It's hard to come up with a dial in.

I'd be going home with a smile on my face too !!!
Nice job! :D

Oh, BTW, the .03 RT is cool too!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm going to go after the seats first, but there is a whole bunch of bumper under those covers. I will remedy this most likely over the winter with some aluminum extrusion to hold up the cover.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today, with a bunch of help from 32V, we were able to shave more weight from the TA by installing the racing seats. After some deliberation in the garage, we went to Lowes for some aluminum flat stock, and were able to mount the seats using part of a morning and a complete afternoon. When it was all finished, the seats looked great, were mounted very solidly, and save roughly 40lbs or so.

There is a test n tune next Sunday I plan to go to. Let's hope for cooler weather.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Looks good, however my only comment, I might add lock washers. Just in case vibration makes them come loose.
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Nice- and they still adjust back and forth, right?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I put locktite on the hardware...you engineer, you.

THe passenger's seat is fixed and won't move, and the driver's one could be moved, but with some difficulty. In it's most rearward position, it is perfect for me, so I don't care about moving forward, but if somebody shorter needed to drive it, I could accomodate them with a long screwdriver, and a flashlight.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Red loctite or blue? you sales dude you. Let me sit in it and see if I can move it backwards. Like a certain pinto seat I once sat in.......
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It was blue stuff in a red bottle. I think this set up would hold you though... I didn't use hardened bolts, you think that will matter? :roll:

-BP