Camaro67

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Stephen Hugo

Brakes working

Post by Stephen Hugo »

With the help of my 12 year old son, we got all the air out of the front calipers and the pedal firmed up. All 4 brakes seem to be working now. After putting the tires and rims back on, I had my 10 year old daughter push the brake pedal, and I could not budge any of the wheels. I will know for sure when the weather warms up and I can take a test drive down the driveway. Next item will be to get an ohm meter and the wiring diagram to diagnose why the wiper motor is not working. I may need a new one, but I want to check the voltages first. After that, I can start front clip sub assembly and more interior details.
Stephen Hugo

Brakes now working

Post by Stephen Hugo »

Got my 12 year old son to help me with the brake bleeding. Finally got all the air out of the calipers and the pedal firmed up. Put the wheels on and had my daughter press the brake pedal. I could not budge the wheels, (tried all 4). Will driveway test it when it warms up.
Stephen Hugo

Post by Stephen Hugo »

Sorry for the duplicate status. I did not see these go to a second page, so I thought they were lost in the ether.

Front grill assembly has been installed. Also, have loose installed the right front fender. Pics to come soon.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Is it warming up much, or do you have heat in the work area?
Stephen Hugo

Post by Stephen Hugo »

There is no heat in the work area. February had quite a few days above 20 degrees, which is "warming up" for Minnesota. Last weekend was in the high 40's, so I was able to finish many front clip attachment steps. Still have a few more attachments to make, followed by alignment. This may take a while, in that I need 60's to clean up and repaint the hood. I am not yet sure how far I can assemble the rest of the front clip without the hood.
Stephen Hugo

Wheels and tires

Post by Stephen Hugo »

Getting close to heading to the license bureau. I still need to buy new rims and tires. Since this is not a numbers matching car, I do not necessarily need to get the original rims. Current rims are quite rusted.

Any suggestions on what to get?
Fred32v

Classic look vote

Post by Fred32v »

That Camaro would look great with the stock looking rally wheels,
only maybe a 16 or 17 in wheel with some red line tires to set that white off.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I could see a classic set of Crager s/s chromies on there. 15x7's all the way around.

Car looks great by the way.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Stock rally wheels can be had for around $40 a piece used. For this car you will probably want to sandblast and refinish them anyway so maybe you can get them cheaper. I would suggest the 15 x 8. Top them off with a nice set of Firehawk Indy 500's with the raised white letters.

The SS Cragars would also look really good on there.

BP you have pics of your wheels off the T/A? That type would look good on there also.

If you really want the stock look, find some steel wheels and paint them to match the car, put the small center caps on there, and go with the red wall tire.

Its been a long time coming but the car looks really good.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

-BP
Stephen Hugo

Completion Photos!!!

Post by Stephen Hugo »

It's been 15 years of effort. Here are some pictures that capture the result. I've spent that last few weeks on body work on the hood. I installed it this weekend, along with the window trim moldings. Since the last set of pictures, the tires and wheels have been installed. I liked the way the Cragar SS looked. This morning was spent on final waxing and exterior detailing. Next actions planned include an oil change, tune up, carb adjustments. I've had it on the road for short trips to my neighbor's driveway and back...I have a few things to iron out before it is ready for longer trips.

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Car looks great. What's left to do on it?
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

GREAT JOB Steve. Looks like time very well spent. Now enjoy!
Working on your Camaro from now on will just be playing. Super sweet!
Maybe we'll see it in Cleveland sometime.
Maybe not but now we might like to see some drag strip numbers.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Stephen Hugo

First "real" trip

Post by Stephen Hugo »

Today, I drove the Camaro to DQ with the kids. About a 16 mile round trip. So as far as what is left to do....As of today, all systems are road worthy. Now the task of adjustments and improvements will begin: Some minor paint touch up, adjustment of the parking brake, the switch that the brake pedal engages to turn on the brake lights is acting a little flakey, so needs to be replaced. New cap, rotor, coil, wires and separators are needed. Also, the secondary butterflies are a little sticky when I get on it, so a carb removal may be required. Right now, I am just babying it.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Any updates here on the Camaro? It's been a while.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]