2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Basement Paul »

On Friday morning, this will be mine:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ptd/5837069370.html

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Nice find. Just what the doctor ordered. Ad says 3.73, listing says 4.10? Speedo gear? :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

He sells them both ways, but this will be the 3.73 version. Once it's in, I'll have to have Hutter change the gearing in the computer to fix the speedo. This is the same guy that built Tony's Chevelle rear. Seems like he's been around awhile and has a pretty good reputation.

This transaction will also help along TireSmoker's Blazer project. Win - win.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Did he promise a .19 faster ET with the new rear end? :D

Jim's a nice guy. Little bit of talker as he's a car guy.....like us. But three years later, I'm still real happy with the rear end. Did an excellent job for sure. Please tell him I said "hello".

Also....Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

My early morning mission yielded the pile of parts shown. Now I need to go get some diff fluid and rear brake shoes. Maybe I'll start tearing into it next weekend. I have some garage rearranging to do this weekend to get ready. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be all geared up.

-BP
Attachments
8.5 diff cover.jpg
8.5 diff 11-25-16.jpg
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

"She's a beaut, Clarke!"
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I spent a bunch of time last weekend getting the new rearend mostly in the truck. I took Friday off and removed the 7.5 rear and got far enough to have the new 8.5 resting on the perches in their proper location so I could measure the driveshaft that needed shortening. With the correct measurements, 32V and I set out bright and early Saturday morning for a trip across town to Henderson Driveline in Westlake for an 8am arrival time. These guys made this driveshaft for me a few years ago, and they were able to shorten it by 1 3/8" and press out the front leaf spring bushings for us in less than an hour an a half. We were able to go get breakfast while most of this was happening, so it was no big deal.

I have since got almost everything finished. All I have left to do is bleed the new wheel cylinders out, install and adjust the Cal Tracs lower bars, and figure out how to install the rear sway bar on the larger diameter axle tubes. I have an idea that will get tested most likely this Saturday. Unfortunately we'll be looking at some snow by then so testing and break in will have to wait for a thaw of some sort.
Attachments
rearend in.jpg
rearend out.jpg
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

NICE!! Do you have to do anything for the drive shaft angle with the new rear end?
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I like the look of fresh paint on the underside of a car. Looks like
something cool is going on under there!!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This rearend is custom made for an S-10 and it's supposed to already be set correctly. By my eye, it looks pretty good. It fit the spring perches and seems to be somewhere in the middle of the wheel wells, so I guess it's OK. JD Race is who I bought it from and he seems to have a good reputation around here, so I trust it to be correct and if it's not, I'm sure he'll correct it. What's funny is the original rearend would probably clean up if you just washed it as it's never seen winter. As it's next install will be in V8 powered square body S-10 Blazer, we'll leave it up to the new owner to see if he'll be painting it or not.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So despite the ridiculous weather yesterday, we were relatively toasty inside my garage finishing up the rearend install. We bled the brakes, gently opened up the rear wheel hubs on the factory wheels to go over the new axles which are slightly large diameter, finished hooking up the CalTrac bars, and finished fabricating a new way to make the rear sway bar work with the larger housing. End of the day it looks like this:

-BP
Attachments
8.5 diff done 12-10-16.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Most of that effort was straight forward until we got to the sway bar modifications.
I was only there for the fabrication of the prototype passenger side. (I left after the snow stopped.)
BP said he would complete the driver side before the day was done.
He has to be one sore puppy this morning. Great job, everything looks stock!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Looking good....and WAY cool!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Because winter in NE Ohio can be rough and put a damper on hot rodding, you have to take advantage of good weather whenever you get the chance. So last night I spent a bunch of time going through the break in procedure of my new rearend. It basically entails multiple short trips with about an hour between each for cool down. I got four good cycles in and decided to drive it to work. But because the long sustained freeway drive isn't a great idea early on, I drove the S10 to work on back roads this morning.
After work I decided to swing by Hutter Performance in hopes to get my speedometer corrected via a reprogram. Trevor didn't disappoint. Not only did he not charge me, I got a free T-Shirt out of the deal.
In total I've put about 75 miles on this rearend and am completely happy. No extra noise, no weirdness with the CalTracs, and it seems to like cruising at slower speeds better. Seeing as how I have the stock 235-55-16 all season tires on for winter, and it's 30 degrees out, there's still not a whole lot of traction to be had at any speed below 50mph. But I'm quite certain that with the drag tires installed, that it will hook hard, even on the street. I'm definitely looking forward to a long cruising season in '17.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Sounds pretty fantastic, BP. Great way to end the year.

Jim/JD Race does very good work. Glad your rear-end turned out as well as mine did.

Hope the 2017 Cruising Season is indeed a good one....for all of us.

Still got some pictures to hand off to you.....but I may see you Saturday a.m., I believe.