2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by TireSmoker »

Seems like I picked the wrong weekend to be out of town. Can't wait to see/hear this thing!

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Very, very happy for you, BP. Sounds like it was totally worth the wait.

I say we shoot for a trip out to Blazin' Bills one night or weekend afternoon in our now-awesomely-running cars....with whoever is local and can join us (John, Dave, Fred, et al)....to celebrate our respective birthdays between 10/28 and 11/13.

Just because we can.....
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm down!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Count me in!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After I got it back, I found there was a decent size list of things I still needed to get done. So I've been going after it all week. I got the steering shaft lined back up so the wheel is straight again, I replaced the blown out muffler, and I gave it a real good washing as it literally hadn't been washed in well over a year.
I tried charging the A/C in hopes to get lucky that it would start working on it's own, but as I've since learned, R134 systems really require a serious vacuum source for at least an hour to get all the air out. I also have a noticeable light squealing that sounds to me like its coming from the A/C compressor. It's not getting hot to the touch and with the belt off it still feels smooth, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it until I get the system charged and see the compressor operate. The idler pulley and tensioner pulley in that area both seem smooth so I don't believe it's coming from there.

The radio is locked. It's still the factory 6disk changer and I would like to get that working again. I'm not sure if the dealer can fix that or not so I'll have to make a call.

I'm getting a check engine light for a MAF sensor but this system doesn't have one, so I'm thinking Trevor forgot to take it out of the tune.

Also, my ABS light is on. Now the wiring harness I got was supposed to deal with this problem, so I'm not sure what's going on there and will have to do some research with those guys.

I typed a bunch more but lost it all so I'll get more posted later. Dinner time.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The squealing is definitely an accessory. I pulled the belt off an started it and no noise. My money is on the A/C compressor.

I did get a chance to run it through the gears for the first time yesterday. I found I can pedal first gear and lay into it to full throttle then shift into 2nd. It spins some but is controllable, then barks into 3rd. By then I'm doing 90 in a 40 zone, so it's time to lift. It is fast but controllable. The traction bars and drag radials will make it almost flat out all the time.

Can't wait to fix the squealing so I'll be more comfortable driving it all over.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After learning today that my "new" a/c compressor was out of warranty (one year) by over a month, I bought a new one off ebay for $118. I paid extra to have it shipped quicker in hopes to have it installed and charged this weekend. Once this fiasco is completed, I will at least be able to consistently drive it and work out the little bits later.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After putting actual A/C oil in my existing compressor and the squealing continuing, I searched for another possible cause. Turns out that it's actually the belt tensioner. As it's dancing around, it's making noise like a bad pulley, but the pulley is fine. I have a new one on order that was supposed to be here today, but so far no tensioner.

I did receive my new A/C compressor in the meantime, but will most likely just shelve it and save it for some time in the future as I think that might be a hard compressor to find later.

In the meantime, I talked to the Chevy dealer I deal with for work trucks and his tech thinks getting my radio going shouldn't be a problem. And since I'm not afraid to drive it now, even with the squealing, even if my tensioner doesn't come in, I'll be driving it around next week and hopefully get that done too.

I'm taking next Friday off and I think I'm going to try to get to the track on the 29th for at least a couple passes with the drag radials but probably no CalTracs.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I seem to recall having some type of belt tensioner issue with
my Vette after putting the new cam in. After putting a new tensioner
in, the squealing was better, but it still would make some type of
belt noise at high rpm. Perhaps it's just an LS thing.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Lots of guys complain about it. If it was just at higher RPM, I probably wouldn't care, but I hear it all the time. I just read that someone makes a manually adjustable one that works pretty well. If this one does the same thing, I'll look into that more.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So BP stopped over yesterday in the S-10. All I gotta say is, Wow!! That thing is fast! My Chevelle won't stand a chance.

Nice work, muh man.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It seems like forever since I've been out cruising, so yesterday was a bunch of fun. Where else would I go but TireSmoke Central? I learned a lot about my truck on that trip. Plus, it is a bunch of fun. Today I took my wife to buy pumpkins in it today. She has always liked that truck and it apparently still has her approval. I took it easy on the throttle during this trip.

Looking forward to next Saturday.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today was fun! I got to hang out with the Accountant and his Chevelle at the track for a few hours, make some passes, and drive home in one piece. I had three passes in the 12.50s all over 110mph with the best being a 12.51 and my best mph at 111.21. My best 60' was 1.93, which is still really soft. I know I'm babying it to try to keep the rearend together. I know there's an easy 1.7 60' with the CalTrac bars on there with the current tire. That and a little cooler air should push me well into the LOW 12's. I'm happy with how it performed for sure. I do plan to go again if the weather holds in November, hoping for a cooler day. Today was almost 70 all day, and I'm thinking 50 degrees or cooler will get me into the 30's by itself.
I even got to make a pass in The Accountant's car. We did it Benny and Joon style and went 13.44 with Dave's slicks on the car. Bested later by The Accountant on a solo pass with just regular street tires. Nice work!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After driving the S10 as a commuter to work and back a couple days, I decided I REALLY needed to fix the squeaky belt one way or another. The squeaking was definitely coming from the tensioner itself, but I was having a hard time figuring out why. I really thought that it could use more tension, like the existing belt was a little long. So I looked up my current belt and thought I needed at least an inch maybe more, so I bought a 1" shorter and a 1 1/2" shorter belt. The shortest of the two would not even come close to fitting. I struggled with the 1" shorter belt for awhile, and then what seemed like divine intervention happened, I tried again and the belt just went on.... I think I even made holy angel noises when it happened.
Anyway, all that extra tension fixed the problem. I still hear the bearing in the alternator crying a little, but the new alternator is on it's way and will be installed asap.
I also got my radio working at the local dealership on Monday, so it just keeps getting better. Today is the third day in a row I've driven it to work. It really could be a commuter. I haven't checked the mileage yet, but I'm thinking I'm getting around 20 or so.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Nothing like having a FUN commuter vehicle. You made that S10 into a great ride. 12s and economy too.
Maverick