1963 Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Re: 1963 Corvette

Post by GMJohnny »

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4537882622.html

Hey Smoker....

Saw this while flipping through Craigslist....

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wow, 3 years since the last post? I guess there's not much to report here, fortunately. I tried driving the car at the end of last year and it ran miserably. Loud (like a gun) popping out the exhaust, couldnt give it any throttle.. I could barely drive it around the block. Well, this spring, I started it up the other day in the garage for a few minutes. Seemed to run fine? Pulled it out of the garage today, and no issues. Drove it around the block, was able to give it full throttle, and drove it to Sunoco to top off the tank with fresh gas.

The only project I have on tap is a rag joint to try to eliminate some slop in the steering. And a good wash/wax. I guess I still need to get after the RF turn signal, the fuel gauge, and eventually the clock.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I can't say from experience on a CAR that this is an issue, but I've seen several tractors
have an issue like you talked about and it ended up being a bad condenser and/or coil
that creates the problem you are talking about. Usually this happens when those parts
get hot. It might be a good preventative measure to check the points, and change the
coil and condenser.

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

John, that was my gut feeling last year when it happened. I have no idea how old the points/condenser/coil are in that car. I don't remember replacing any of it in 2011 when I installed the 350. I may upgrade to a Pertronix if I have to replace that stuff.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I guess it's time for another 3-year update. Picking up right where the last post left off, I got around to doing a bit of a tune up on Dad's Vette. I was driving it a couple weeks ago across 480, and it just wouldn't pull past 4000 rpm at WOT -- and I was cruising GPS indicated 72mph at 3700! I've never been super happy with the WOT performance of this combination since I put it together, but I tolerated it since it was never supposed to be anything more than a good cruiser, which it IS.

I placed an order from Eckler's Corvette for a new fuel pump, points, and condensor. I wanted to start simple. I changed the points while chatting on the phone with Andy, with both of us acknowledging that we hadn't done such a task since the late 80s or early 90s, as an HEI swap would've been the go-to mod. It's a very simple job-- I probably spent just as much time labeling my spark plug wires as I did doing actual work. The cap and rotor looked almost new inside. Just a little bit of crud on the rotor, that I cleaned off with some scotch brite. Upon re-assembly, the car wouldn't start, Andy suggested the points werent opening/closing. A bit of adjustment there, and it fired up. I didnt gap them and I didn't have a working dwell meter. The butt dyno confirmed an improvement, but still plenty room for more improvement.
20200828_212632.jpg
Last night I swapped the fuel pump. I've done a few small-block fuel pumps, its usually a pretty easy job. I even swapped the one on Tony's Chevelle in the hotel parking lot at Woodward years ago without much issue. Not this car, though. From above, the alternator is in the way, and to a lesser degree, the exhaust manifold. From below, the crossmember and suspension make it a tight job. Also, on my particular block, the hole in the front of the block that can be used to hold the push rod out of the way is not tapped all the way through. Youtube suggested using an old hacksaw blade to get under the pushrod and hold it out of the way while sliding in the new pump. This worked pretty well.
20200829_213702.jpg
Out with the old...

Of course, the new pump was a little different than the old one. I was a bit miffed at first-- that was why I bought the pump from Eckler's, so it would be RIGHT. The mounting flange was measurably thicker, meaning my bolts weren't long enough now. Discovering something like this at 10pm can be a motivation killer. Fortunately, I had my old Holley pump from the Chevelle on the shelf, and it had the thicker flange too, and the bolts were with it. Problem solved.
20200829_215057.jpg
One of the other annoying parts of this job is that the fuel tank gravity feeds the pump. The sending unit and outlet from the tank is on the bottom. After removing the hose from the inlet of the pump, gas POURED out. There's no flow issue there! A 3/8 bolt kept the line plugged while I did the rest of the job. Knowing this, I now realize there's no way for any of the fuel line from the tank to have a pin hole causing a suction problem. I'd have a straight leak if there was anything wrong. All in all, doing a fuel pump on this car is a sucky job, one that I would NOT want to try in a hotel parking lot.

The road test showed not much improvement, but thats ok. The old pump may not be quite as old as I first thought, but now I know its good.

Next up, I'll check the plugs and replace as needed. They were installed when the engine was built in 2011 and havent been changed. After that, I might try putting a bigger secondary jet in the Edelbrock carb.

One of my winter projects this year will be a new exhaust system. Being a 250hp/327 car, the pipes are only 2-inch. Good grief, they look like straws. I'm going to use stock 2 1/2" manifolds & pipes from the 340hp/327. Here's a photo compared to a piece of 3" pipe from my Chevelle's Pypes kit. setup.
20200829_224233.jpg
I really need to drive this car more frequently. It's such a cool car.

More to come..

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Good grief, another almost 24 months between posts on this car. Dad came home from Florida on May 13th, and we went to the annual Corvette show @ Bair's Corvette in Linesville, PA on May 21st. We've been going for years.

I took the car out Friday night, topped off the gas and drove it around a few miles and it ran flawless. I was almost a little surprised, since it hadn't been driven in a while. On Saturday, it started having little problems, even before I picked Dad up in the morning. It would sorta cut out, a little buck here or there. I chalked it up to a little junk in the carb from sitting so long. I put a decent amount of fuel in the night before, so it was mostly fresh gas.

It got a little worse as we were getting to Linesville. I had to clutch-in a few times and rev the motor a bit to get it going. But we made it.

Dad taking a break, enjoying the comments he got on the car
20220521_120616.jpg
The back parking lot
20220521_111228.jpg
the front area
20220521_111054.jpg
Custom disco vette convertible looks really good, IMO.
20220521_115726.jpg
a '63 Fuelie the way I'd do it! love it.
20220521_115755.jpg
We're only missing a C5 in our row. We are the C2. You can barely see the C7 past the C4.
20220521_120157.jpg
But when we went to leave, thats when the trouble really started. I had a really hard time getting it started and running. It would start, then die, then had to crank on it a bunch, got a couple really good backfires out of it (all while still on the front lawn). Got it running and limped it out to the back parking lot area, sputtering and barely running. At first I thought it was a dirty needle/seat, but in looking down the carb, I didnt see anything dripping or excess fuel. Saw good flow from the Accel Pump and the mains when I would rev it.

It had idled/revved ok for a couple minutes, so we decided to head out. We made it to Andover (rt 7) without too much trouble. Heading west down US6, it got progressively worse. A couple more backfires and I've clearly done some sort of damage to the exhaust because the car is MUCH louder. After barely getting to the BP at US6/OH46, I had to call for a tow.
20220521_171747.jpg
It's parked in the front garage for the moment. A quick swap of the coil didn't help anything. I made a trip out to Johns house for some spare points and a tool. It should be dirt simple to diagnose once I get out there.

But even if I get it running immediately, it's gonna need that new exhaust ASAP. In the bits of time that it was running after some of the blowout, it did sound pretty good. Even my mother commented years ago that the mufflers were too quiet. "I thought it used to rumble a little more."

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Smoker,

Have you had any thoughts of going to the Pertronix system? It’s pretty
simple to install and would eliminate your ignition issues for good. It also
looks stock.

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've thought about it in the past, but never really gave it serious consideration. With my other EFI small blocks, I sorta like this one being at the other end of the spectrum. Analog.

After writing my post last night, I went out and did a little troubleshooting. Dad and I were talking during the ride home and neither of us remember ever replacing the coil. There is a distinct possibility it's the original coil. I tried swapping it with my Blaster 3 coil, but still wouldn't start. I checked the power to the coil, and at first it was good -- then it wasn't. I had Gwen come out and jiggle the ignition key a bit, just within the On position and I could see the power cut in and out.

The next thing I'll try is putting a jumper wire from the battery to the coil. If that works, I'll have to take a close look at the ignition switch. I'm getting the feeling my cars are plotting against me!! (key switch issue in the Chevelle)

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Ignition switch is almost 60 years old - should have gotten the triple extended warranty lol.

Old cars need work.

Rigging up something to at least put it back in the detached garage and confirm the diagnosis would be good.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I jumped the coil to the battery this morning -- still no go. It doesn't catch *at all*.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The lightning whirler, well it ain't making lightning
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Another Vice Grip Garage fan, eh?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Armed with a new set of AC Delco points, ACD condensor, and brand new ACD coil, went out to the front garage where its been languishing since the tow home from the Bair's show. Comparing the new points (right) to the old, I could immediately see a difference. It looks like the rubbing block is completely gone? These points were just changed in 2020 and I bet the car didnt get 500 miles in the mean time. Bad luck? Shitty quality like BP's ignition modules?

With the new points installed as they were out of the box, with the new condensor and new coil, the engine fired up pretty easily. The passenger side muffler is the one that's blown out and it seemed to be running with a miss. I got it moved back to Tiresmoke Central from the front garage. I'm guessing the plugs are probably fouled out a bit. They are probably 10+ yrs old anyway.

I'll get a set of plugs in it, see if I can get a working dwell meter. Maybe I can find one at Canfield tomorrow.
Attachments
20220710_111732.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Isn't there supposed to be lube of some sort on there? I somehow remember on maybe the Caddy when I was adjusting the points seeing lube where it contacts the distributor shaft. Not sure if that's true or not, or if the kit comes with anything like that.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Studying your photo, Dave, I think you have two different versions of this set of points. Could it be that the rubbing block is not really worn?