Tim knapp's 460 swap into Walt's '69 F250

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Tim knapp's 460 swap into Walt's '69 F250

Post by wxo »

Day 1:
Fred's plane arrived at 1pm sharp and we were at work at 2pm.
The old 360 FE motor was out by 3:30pm. We had to remove the old tranny before we could
pull the motor. Ugh was it heavy!!
The new motor mounts look like a bolt-in...no holes to drill in the frame.
Instead of a thousand words, we are going to figure out how to post some movin' pictures.

Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

See the videos here..

360 Extraction, Part 1, 17 megs
360 Extraction, Part 2 3.2 megs
Last edited by TireSmoker on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I think I was predicting it would be out by four or five. Walt - you must have been bust prepping in the AM.

The video and pictures are cool.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Day 2:
This does sound like OverHaulin' doesn't it? Well, we started out with the objective of noodlin' out the
hydraulic clutch. We decided to visit Mikes Auto Salvage to get some clutch stuff out of a couple of trucks he had.
We brought back a shift handle, pedals, wiring harness, speedo cable, and a boot. Too bad, but as it turned out we didn't use most of the stuff.
We came up with a way to modify the original pedal arrangement to add a lever to operate the clutch master cylinder. Once we figured out where the rod would come throught the firewall, we could mount the master cyl.
Tomorrow we still need to take the lever assembly out for modification.

See the following picture where we used a laser level to get it right.

Here's what the master cylinder looks like after we pulled the pedals, steering wheel and it seems like a lot of other stuff and then put it all back together again.

Just for fun, we installed the perches for the motor mounts at the end of the day. Here's what my garage looked like after dark.
Last edited by wxo on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The suspense is killing me! Will this two man crew of experts be able to get the truck done by the weekend deadline?? Only time will tell...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Isn't there a reailty show like this?

Are you going to be putting the supercharger and nitrous on at the end?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I heard that they were building this truck to run on Pinks, on Speed TV. They said some guy they know has been running smack about a 442-beating S-10 and wanted to run him for pink slips.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Day 3:
Ups and downs...
We installed the new flywheel, clutch components, bolted on the transmission (ZF S5-42) and lost the slave cylinder. Yep! I couldn't find it when we needed it. We called Paul to see if we could get it cheap, but the price had almost doubled since we first bought it. Oh, well, I'm going to scour the basement until it turns up. We decided that we don't really need it right now because we are also waiting for a new four core radiator to be shipped from Texas. Our special clutch bracket has been hand delivered to the fabricator. In fact the fabricator (Mike Cole, my neighbor) stopped by on his way to work this morning and picked up the parts and drawings. I think he was impressed by our project.

The starter installation was the last thing before the coup de grace (actual motor install). We hooked 'er up and Fred did the final inspection...

Then we dumped 'er in.

After we got the tranny in place we tried to make the motor mounts seat, but they wouldn't go. It looks like stock bolt holes for the motor mount perches don't work for this installation.
The tranny mount fit perfectly. We used all the stock bolt holes for the cross member and even used the stock tranny mount. So....
We gotta noodle this out and figger out how to rectify this revoltin' development.
See ya tomorrow....
Last edited by wxo on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

wxo

Post by wxo »

Day 4:
Another up and down day! First we wanted to establish the final resting place for the 460. To do this we had to have a radiator and fan shroud to make sure the fan would center in the shroud. Since Walt had sent the radiator out for refurbishment, we had to retrieve it. Well, the new four-core was at Mike's when we arrived and we got two for one. We spent most of the morning getting the radiators in place. It turns out that the new four-core requires significantly more room and we had to relocate the A/C condensor forward of the core support. Then we could slide the new big mama into place. We made some studs out of bolts and nuts so that we could hang the new rad into place without struggling with it.
We found that we had no room for a fan!!! OK, so I had already been thinking ahead to electric fans so that would be the easy solution.

We finally established the final location of the motor. It turns out that the tranny mount and the passenger side motor mount seemed to be located correctly, but the driver's side had to be moved requiring new holes to be drilled in the frame. See Walt drill...

Oh, well, I guess the more holes the lighter the truck. Therefore it will go faster.
Once we got the LH mounts bolted in place, all was well with the world.
We turned on the polkas and Fred sang in Slovenian. We had the project by the tail on a downhill pull. My friend Jim stopped by and we celebrated.

We had to make a special carb adapter for this installation and celebration.

After the party, we soldiered on. The next step was the installation of the drive shafts with the new combo universal joint. To our astonishment, surprise and dismay, the front driveshaft ended 1.5 inches short of it's intended mark. The ZF S5-42's yoke stopped 1.5 inches shorter than the T19 before it. Our first plan was to find a longer driveshaft from a truck with the same tranny. That could be a needle in a haystack search. We also considered having the current driveshaft lengthened. After a lot of noodlin', we decided to consider moving the motor back 1.5 inches. We looked and measured and looked and measured and decided it was worth a try. It will mean pulling the motor again to drill new frame holes but again, this will lighten the truck and make it run faster so we figgered it was worth it. This will also give us more room between the water pump and radiator and has the further benefit of cost savings by not having to spend money on a new or custom driveshaft.
Maybe it will work....tune in tomorrow.....
Last edited by wxo on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

the farther back the engine.........

the easier the front wheels pull off the ground......
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Good work guys.. no videos tonight?
wxo

Post by wxo »

Day 5:
Fred's last day was a marathon wrenching day.
We started before 8 AM and turned the lights out at 11 PM. It was also a very satisfying day. The first thing we did was pull the 460 again to gain access to the engine mounts.

Our task was to move all the mounting points back 1.25 inches to compensate for the shortfall in the driveshaft length. The plan worked well (as far as we know now). The fan and shroud now fit much better, the shifter is positioned better, and best of all the driveshafts attach to the rear end. Check out the following link for a video of some celebratory comments. We ran out of camera batteries so all the footage we thought we were getting was not there. Too bad you folks won't have to spend a lot of time uploading to see them.

http://www.tiresmoke.org/walt/day-5.avi

It was great to get the whole drivetrain bolted into place. We had a lot of fun doing it. After a nice dinner at the Sawmill Pub and Fred's first taste of deep fried pickle chips, we invited Jim Arnold over for a night of more fun. More bench racing, wine drinking and wrenching.

We got to install our new clutch bracket, but it required removing a very heavy clutch spring without removing the pedal assembly again. Jim came to the rescue with a very novel use of a chain binder.

After 5 days, Fred says the trip was well worth it. Too bad he couldn't have seen it run, but we still had a ball. There's a lot left to do, but the groundwork is laid. Stay tuned...
Last edited by wxo on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Well, here I am back in Munson, Ohio with it's rainy high 40's weather. While Walt and Randi were driving me to the Raleigh airport in his new old $100 Jeep "Nellybelle", I told him that daily reports might not be necessary, but we expected Weekly updates and some videos when he starts it and is breaking in the new cam.
For me, this last week was a wonderful natural high! I can't wait to see the '69 in Carlisle next spring.
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I'm sitting here in Alaska looking at pictures from North Carolina of my old race engine. This internet thing really shrinks the world. I can't wait to hear it. Cool truck!