Tim knapp's 460 swap into Walt's '69 F250

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Post by wxo »

This is a single breaker point ignition. What's an ignition tumbler?
Fred32v

Tumbler?

Post by Fred32v »

I thought a tumbler was for holding Farmwood Wines. I'm sure you know holding the foot feed hard to the floor if it acted like it was flooded, but I didn't smell any gas. I might try to tie the choke open, then if it happens again, there may be something to the distributer idea, or not. Just something to make a small change and see what happens.
Last edited by Fred32v on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The tumbler is the place where the key goes. I've had a wire shorted in the "tumbler" that acted the same way. It basically would start the car, but when the key went into the run position from the start position, it would short out and stall.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Tumblers are for combination locks on safes. This is a keyed ignition switch. I don't use a combination lock to start the truck. :P
Anyway enough razzing of poor BP. I've tried the foot feed to the floor in case it's flooded thing and it didn't change a thing. It would just fire and die. You'd think it would at least idle. But the squirters were squirtin'.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think you have an issue with the ignition system and not the carb, that's why I thought it might be in your key switch. It sounds like you're only getting spark while the starter is turning and as soon as the signal is done to the starter, so is the power to your ignition system.

I can't wait for my free breakfast. :)

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Man - can'tbelieve I missed the free breakfast comment.

I agree with BP - this is a bad/worn out ignition switch.

To test BP's theory, get the truck started then stall it out without touching the key. Leave the key in the on position and start the truck with a wire at the solenoid. I bet it will fire right up.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I just went out and tried to start it. It failed again. Yesterday, I tested the fuel pump and it pumped a pint of fuel in 25 seconds. The flow seemed a bit weak to me, but it was within specs. At the same time I found a lot of gunk in the sintered bronze fuel filter. After I cleaned it out and put everything together, I saw the same symptoms, but the engine did start and run normally after a few tries. I thought maybe the float bowls needed time to fill.
Time to redirect my focus to the tumblers. Actually the ignition switch is not the original. I replaced it a couple of years ago.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You could put a test light to the coil while all this is happening. If the light goes out after the ignition goes to the run position, then there's your problem.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yep. I tried to do that this afternoon but the dang thing started before I could check it out. I'm going to take a jumper with me when I drive the truck. If it fails again, I'll just put 12 volts on the coil. If it starts right up, it will verify your hypothesis. Stay tuned...
wxo

Morning report

Post by wxo »

Morning sickness appeared again this morning so I jumpered 12 volts to the coil and tried it again. It fired and ran. When I pulled off the jumper it stopped (with the key still in the on position). Hmmm...tumblers???
wxo

Tumblin' tumblers

Post by wxo »

Ol' Blue has a new tumbler (ignition switch) as of a few days ago. So far no more failures. Of all the thousands of replies to my ad hoc contest, BP came in first with the right answer. Thanks BP. You win the breakfast. All ya gotta do is bring a copy of this post to the big Truck Carlisle meet to claim your prize.

On another topic, that @#$%$#@%$#@ Custom Auto Sound radio I bought at Carlisle a few years ago has gone silent again. I gotta find a decent radio with knobs that will fit this truck. I'd like to find one with a good quality stereo amplifier that can blast tunes over the noise in the cab.
Fred32v

One problem sent packing.

Post by Fred32v »

And so, thus ends the chilling story of the "Tumbling Tumbler".
I want to be there when BP collects his breakfast under the grandstands
at the 2008 All Truck Nationals. :)
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had problems with a customautosound radio in my Corvette too. It would all of the sudden just go to completely full loudness. I like the guy that would put modern components in your stock radio.

I can't wait for my ham / egg / cheese sandwich under the grandstands. I think I'll have a doughnut, orange juice, and a coffee too. Consider that my order. I'm glad I know what a tumbler is...

-BP
Fred32v

The 460 Before "Old Blue"

Post by Fred32v »

I was repairing my old photo albums, since many of the pictures have come loose,
and found this old photo. Unfortunately I don't remember the year, but Mostmint
was still polishing his TransAm. That Mustang staging against him was piloted by
ANKOVER (aka Tim). The power plant from that 12 second Ford ride is now resting
comfortablely in "Old Blue".
If you look really hard, you can see the "460" on the Ford's front fender.
Not only do I not remember the year, but also who was faster in this run.
Just enjoying the memories. :)
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You can see the 12.20 on the passenger's window of the mustang, and the T/A looked to be running 13.71.

I think it's time the Trans Am get "restored". For less money than another race car replacement, this car could be cosmetically cleaned up and looking good.

-BP