Mini -Project --- Bench Vise

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Mini -Project --- Bench Vise

Post by GMJohnny »

Since mid-summer ( when my old, smaller Columbian vise was not adequate for a big
job I was doing ) I've been looking for a machinist's vise. I wanted something sturdy, with
wide jaws and a decent size opening to hold larger work. Looking on EBay and Craigslist
typically would end up with me finding them in the $150 - $200 range. I stumbled across
one on Cleveland Craigslist on Tuesday morning. The ad was one of the (stupid) ones that
had email as the only contact method. I've had very poor success with this method of contact
in the past, but I figured I'd try anyway, as they were only asking $75. I told them in the email
that I'd give them full asking price ( they said o.b.o. in the ad ) for the vise and I'd get it
"tonight" so they had a quick sale. My plan worked, and they called me mid-day and we
sealed the deal. I had to drive about a half hour to Euclid to get it, but it was worth it. The
vise was made by the Athol Co. ( which eventually became Starrett Co. ) and was produced
under a patent from 1894. The vise is in amazingly good shape, and has no hammer marks in
it, is very tight, and the jaws are in excellent shape. The jaws are 4 1/2" wide and the max
opening is a bit over 7 inches ( opens to about 8 inches, but is marginally sturdy there ) wide.
45 minutes of work to get it on the bench, clean it, and lubricate it and I'm ready for action!
( I'd be happy to hand off my old Columbian to a Tiresmoker in need if it is desired. )

GM
Attachments
IMG_20161207_130223_515.jpg
wxo

Re: Mini -Project --- Bench Vise

Post by wxo »

GMJohnny wrote: they were only asking $75.
How much is that per pound?? :mrgreen:

-WXO
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That really is a steal for one that is not all clapped out. You'll destroy your bench, floor, and garage before you hurt that thing.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

WXO,

I'm not certain the actual weight, ( I'd bet 50+ lbs.!) but when I first picked it up to
put it in my trunk, I was thinking that it would really not be fun to carry it from the
back gate at Carlisle up to the parking lot at the top of the hill!!

GM