2016 Regal Turbo

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

2016 Regal Turbo

Post by GMJohnny »

It's a bit late, and I'm going to sleep, but figured I'd put this out there.
Here's my new daily driver... as long as the Craigslist ad stays up!!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/5877275229.html

More details to come!!

GM
AKROVER

Re: 2016 Regal Turbo

Post by AKROVER »

Wow, that has to be the newest car you have ever had. I hadn't really looked at these before, but that engine seems outrageous. 259hp out of 2 liters? Is yours fwd or awd? I will miss the Saab, but this is a different class of car.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks real nice. I love the telescoping steering wheel. I bet it does have a backup camera too. I'm thinking the main screen will show you the way when it's put into reverse. The camera is most likely in the Buick symbol on the back of the car.

I use this stuff on my cars: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/o ... e=AMHSC-EA

Might be a good time to spray it. It works great on dark cars.

Nice upgrade for sure!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

AK...

Buick offers a Regal with a 2.4 base motor, which I had zero interest in. If I couldn't get
the turbo, I wasn't going to buy one. It has the same motor in it that the GS Regal does,
but apparently it doesn't handle nearly as well as the GS does, but the price tag of the
GS is way out of my range, and, according to all that I've read, not really worth it. I've
struggled a bit to find what the actual quarter mile times are for the car, but most of what
I've seen has them in the 15.0 - 14.7 depending on the site. With that as a base, I'm certain
the car will be a very consistent 14.5 after some minor modifications. I looked online for
some AWD versions, but they are very scarce, and add about $3000 to the ticket. I figured
it was better to get a 2016 ( definitely the newest ever for me -- the previous newest was
5 years old! ) FWD with under 20,000 miles than a 2012 AWD with 45,000 miles for my
money, so I went FWD. My old Regal, with good all season tires on it performed very well
in the snow. This winter will be a good test for the new car, and if I think it needs snows
I will get them for next year. There's a certain side of me that will miss the Saab, but I'm
ready for the upgrade!!!

GM

BTW.... it does have back-up cam, which will display when you use reverse.... I learned that
last night when I stuck it in reverse for the first time!!! ... I need an owner's manual to help
me learn this thing!!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

AKROVER wrote:Wow, that has to be the newest car you have ever had. I hadn't really looked at these before, but that engine seems outrageous. 259hp out of 2 liters? Is yours fwd or awd? I will miss the Saab, but this is a different class of car.
That's the engine in my 2008 Cobalt SS (first year for it). Called the LNF in GM speak, Turbo w/ direct injection. 260hp/260tq. I ran a best of 13.75 @ 103 with it, bone stock (5sp, 3000lbs). It went 135 in an undisclosed part of PA. Very nice engine. There was a GM Performance Parts Stage 1 upgrade that took it to 290hp/320tq with just a couple sensors and a computer tune upgrade.

-Dave
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

We are starting to look at cars again since we will now need to return to a two-car paradigm and we, too, are thinking FWD is fine. Since Kris will likely be the primary driver on the new vehicle, we will likely get a set of winter tires. The tires technically don't cost anything in the long term since tire wear goes by the mile and running two sets makes both last longer. The extra set of wheels is really the only long term cost so it really isn't a big deal. My concern on your new car for winter driving is the tire width as I prefer a narrower tire for snow, but that is easy enough to find out. With the mileage, I suspect the original tires are still on it so they may be a little worn, too.

The mileage seems a little high for a 2016, but that used to be considered a good thing because it usually implies a bunch of highway miles. I don't know if that idea still applies to modern engines, but brakes, transmissions, and even suspensions still must get relatively little wear when cruising along at steady speeds. To me, with that in mind, this seems like a lot of car for the asking price. Of course, you bought at a great time, too.

My Skoda is the first car I have had with a backup camera and now I really would hate to get another car without one. The good news is that cameras are dirt cheap so they now put them on even the base models. As an old man, you will appreciate not having to twist to look over your shoulder all the time.

In a way, I was shocked that you got something so new, but in a way, I wasn't. Empty (well, nearly) nest, supportive wife - it is almost like your feet don't touch the ground anymore.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

So.... the car was a rental car according to the dealership I got it from. They make you
sign off on the Carfax report saying that you understand what you are buying. The car was put
into service in January of 2016. In June it had what Carfax coined a "minor accident" ( under
$2000 repair) in which it was hit in the rear end. So, the "high" miles I'm certain are due to
it being a rental. (There is a "next PM" sticker in the driver's door indicating that they do their
service work on Buicks every 6500 miles. Being someone who understands truck rental and
rental in general, I feel pretty confident that the car has been serviced correctly in its short
life.) The dealership I got it from got it in October, so it sat for a bit before I bought it. I do
think that buying a car going into winter in Cleveland is a good call. I average about 18,000 miles
per year on most of my daily drivers, so this has the approximate miles on it in one year that I
would have put on it.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I know this test is for the 2014, but that was the first year for what you have:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick/re ... irst-test/

Good thing is that there were two model years to work the bugs out too. Decent numbers and should be a pretty good match for 32V's truck.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

BP...

I've seen this report in my looking, and it was the closest I could find to
my car as well. I think that not too much has changed, so I'm pretty sure
that you are correct, 32v must get ready for a challenge! Two things about
this article that stuck out to me:

1) “It returns lackluster mpgs if you’re not careful with the throttle.”
2) The "fair market value" of a 2014 Regal is what I paid for my 2016.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm pretty sure ALL modern turbo cars are the same way as far as their ability to get good or bad mileage goes. Ask anyone with an Ecoboost F150. During instrumented testing the turbo never does anything, so mileage is sky high. Real world isn't typically as good, but that thing has a big OD I'm sure, so lugging around it should do fine. Does it require Premium fuel? Have you looked into factory available upgrades like the ones TireSmoker mentioned for his SS?

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

As I have no owner's manual, I'm relying on the internet for all my info so far.
I have seen a site that mentioned premium fuel as an option, but not a requirement.
Any of the program updates that I saw tell you that premium fuel is a mandatory
staple. Having had such great success with Hutter's in the past, I'm thinking they
are the first place to go for horsepower increases, as I think they will understand
the package pretty well and I like their interface. The first upgrades that I need
to do are all weather floor mats and a trunk mat. Then I need a hitch and trailer
light assembly. After those requirements are handled, I will look toward performance
upgrades. It needs to get a baseline at the strip first, so no power adjustments will
be made until I've taken it down the track. The hitch will be installed way before
the snow melts, so that will be on ( to slow it down! ) before my first pass.

GM
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I have the truck mat from the ETC, you can try that on.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I bought a Summit truck bed mat and cut it to fit my Mustang. I still have it if you want to try to see if it will fit the Regal. It's so heavy duty and was way cheaper than a weather tech one. Even if it doesn't fit, you can get one and cut it for yourself. Xmas is coming....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-5005

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Online is a great place to be! At this magical place, they sell all kinds of crazy things!
I purchased a set of GM all weather mats from some dude who wasn't a dealer, but had
2 new sets in boxes for $75 shipped to my house. ( That was the cheapest I found. Next
closest was $108 shipped ) I then found a GM factory trunk mat for $70 and some change
shipped. Being that these are GM part #'d parts, they should fit well in the car, and I
always like the look of factory stuff. Weathertech makes such nice stuff, but the prices
are up there. To duplicate what I bought, with their product, I would have spent over
double. These will work! The both showed that they'd be here in a week, but usually
that means 3-4 days. I can't wait as I'm sick of driving around with the stupid paper mat
the dealer put in over the factory carpet mats!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

My floor mats came in, and just as I thought, they were a perfect fit. Because they
are the heavy rubber, it took a day or so for them to lay down the correct way, but
after the "break in period" they were perfect. I also picked my hitch up from the
local trailer dealership on Wednesday, so, depending on how the weather goes next
week, I may attempt the install. I'm not looking forward to rolling around under a
wet & drippy car, so the install of the hitch may have to wait a bit. The trailer place
said they'd install the hitch and the lights for $175.00. From what I've seen on the
internet, the hitch should take about an hour to put in ( lowering the exhaust is a
requirement -- no drilling required ) and the wiring is just "clip in." I'm a bit skeptical
on the wiring, as the Saab was way more involved than that. Of course I haven't read
the instructions yet, so there's a bit of learning required still. I haven't found a youtube
video that shows any install stuff for my Regal.

GM