2016 Regal Turbo

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

GMJohnny

Re: 2016 Regal Turbo

Postby GMJohnny » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 pm

The temperatures have been real cold lately. The Regal ( like most cars! ) responds
well to the cold! So, for the first time today, I hit the traction control button and
tried a launch. It seems as though the stall is about 2800 rpm, which is sweet!
It comes out pretty straight. Maybe when the roads are a little less powdered with
salt, I'll try shifting into second and not use the auto shift.

GM

GMJohnny

Postby GMJohnny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 pm

I did the my first oil change the other day. I ordered the filter and the oil from the local NAPA
store. The card takes full synthetic oil and a standard ( not a cartridge filter ) screw on filter.
The filter was right in front and easy to access. I didn't use a jack because it wouldn't slide under
the car, but I had some boards that I made for the Vette and I drove it up on those which gave me
the four inches I needed to slide under the car and do the change. The car had 23,300 miles on
it when I did the change. I'm opting to wait until the car thinks it needs an oil change as opposed
to doing it on a 3,000 mile interval. A few weeks back, I purchased a K&N filter on Ebay for $35.00,
that was installed about 800 miles ago.

GM

Basement Paul

Postby Basement Paul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 pm

I do 5k mile changes in my Ram, with synthetic. It would let me go around 9k if I went by the oil change monitor. That's too long IMO if I plan to keep it, especially with the Hemi's inherent lifter issues. I do have powertrain warr up to 100k, so I figure if it's going to go, it will be before then. I'm thinking with your driving you'll be told around 6500 miles to change it.

-BP

GMJohnny

Postby GMJohnny » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

You're guess was pretty close. The dealer did an oil change on it and put a reminder sticker on
the windshield. I passed the recommended mileage by almost 2,000 miles, and I'm assuming they
want it done at 3,000 miles. The reminder was at 5% oil life left when I changed it.

GM

ttamrettus

Postby ttamrettus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:14 pm

on a turbo car I would change it more often, just my opinion. I just think it builds extra heat but on a 2016, I can't say for certain.
Matt Sutter

GMJohnny

Postby GMJohnny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 am

My gut tells me that the GM engineers have taken into consideration the turbo
and all of the stuff that goes with it when they designed the oil monitoring system.
I think I might be more worried about oil change frequency if I was racing this car,
or driving like I used to when I was in college. In all reality, the turbo being there
just means that I can pass with authority again, or I can quickly make distance
between me and someone who happens to be tailgating me. My typical oil change
frequency of the Saab, or the Regal before it was twice a year, or once every 7,500
miles. I will do what the oil monitoring system thinks is correct, which I think is
every 5,000 miles. I'd be interested in knowing Tiresmoker's interval on his Cobalt.

GM

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Postby TireSmoker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:33 pm

5% -- wow... I felt bad when I let the Cobalt get to 20% once. I usually try to do it every 5k, but a couple times it slipped to 7k+. 104k now and oil life is at 35%, it was probably last changed around 100k, and I'll probably change it at ~105k. Since this is the first new car I've ever had, I've tried to be generous on regular maintenance. The goal when I bought it was to get to 150k.

-Dave

GMJohnny

Postby GMJohnny » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:58 pm

So, per usual, I have to have a hitch on my car. So, I bought a "Draw Tite", which is the best on the
market. The hitch dealership offered to install it for $175, so I opted to do the work myself. I will let you
know that there are no YouTube videos on how to install a hitch on a 2016 Regal, so I had to rely on the
instructions to figure it out. They weren't terrible, but they certainly left a bit to be desired. I got the hitch
on the car the first time in about an hour and a half, which wasn't terrible, they had a flat rate guy figured
at 45 minutes. The biggest issue that I had with the hitch was the engineering of it. To install it, you have
to remove the two inner muffler bracket bolts, back them out, and replace them with the longer ones
provided with the kit. You then slip the hitch over the bolts and the longer bolts are supposed to be long
enough that the nut will go on and hold the hitch to the car. They aren't long enough, so when you put the
nuts on them they strip out the bolts. I had to find a creative way past that problem using 1/4" grade 8 bolts
through the nuts (smaller by a mm than what they wanted to use). Another 1/4" of thread on the bolts supplied
would have made the system work fine. So, I got the assembly mounted up and backed the car out of the barn
only to hear a serious vibration, which was caused by the framework of the hitch rubbing against the exhaust
mounts. So, another hour of my time was spent removing the hitch and notching it on both sides to provide
enough clearance to stop the rattle. Grrrrrr!!! I was certainly not happy with the kit I got, and I made mention
of it to the place I purchased it from. ( I wasn't looking for a deal ) He said that that's the reason he charges
$175 for the install, because it never goes like it says in the instructions. Anyhow, the hitch is now on and
ready to work.

GM

Return to “Projects”