206 Peugeot from Cuba

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

yasserfernandez

Re: 206 Peugeot from Cuba

Post by yasserfernandez »

Short and clear...

This has nothing to do with uneven idle.

Keep looking
wxo

Post by wxo »

Correct. But, it will help your cold starting and running when it is adjusted correctly.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yasser,

Let's see if we're understanding each other on some basics. Let's get our terminology clear to ensure we're communicating.

When you say the exhaust smells like a lot of gasoline, we know that the idle mixture has too much fuel. This might be caused by fuel getting into the idle air stream by some path other than the idle circuit.

. Idle jet. This would be an internal piece with a small hole to pass fuel for the idle circuit. The idle jet would be submerged in fuel in the fuel bowl. It seems odd, with your overly rich idle, that you'd have to leave the idle jet only partially screwed in since that would leak additional fuel around the jet. I haven't found a picture of the idle jet.

. Idle adjust screws. There are three:

1. Fast Idle screw. This screw adjust the additional throttle plate opening when choke is on. Think you're right to ignore this one till hot idle is fixed.

2. Idle mixture screw. See the picture on page 18 in the online manual you found. http://www.peugeot205.pl/pdf/p205haynes.pdf This screw allows more or less FUEL (not air) into the idle mixture. Your note below makes me wonder if you think that's adjusting the amount of air in the idle mixture. It might help if you looked down into the carb with the engine is running. Fuel should be in very small (atomized) mist, not big drops you can see. The idle mixture screw would mate with a SEAT, not the idle jet, in any carb I've seen. The seat is probably replaceable and would screw in. Is this the piece you're leaving not screwed all the way in?

3. Idle speed screw. See page 17 in the online manual. 28.4a Typical idle speed adjusting screw
location (A) on the Solex PBISA carburettors

Let's see if we're together on this much before we go farther.

Do you have SKYPE? Maybe at some point a SKYPE session would be helpful.

Jim

yasserfernandez wrote:Sorry maybe I didn't explain well about the idle screw.

The carb has a screw to adjust the idle. It adjust air and it is fitted at around 2.5 turns out. But I am refering to the idle JET.

It MUST be totally screwed in but I noticed that screwing it out a little amout I obtain a better idle.

Maybe the idle air passages are clogged. Then allowing the air to get into via the jet compensates the lack.

I can't identify any numbers on the carb. But I will surely that the closest pictures I can and post them.

I we identify the carb diagram so I can be sure the air passage is clogged or not.

Unfortunately I don't know any prior case of putting a carb into a 206...
Maverick
yasserfernandez

Mr. Maverick

Lets do as we said in Cuba, "let us go by parts, like Jack the ripper" (just joking)

YOUR COMMENT***When you say the exhaust smells like a lot of gasoline, we know that the idle mixture has too much fuel. This might be caused by fuel getting into the idle air stream by some path other than the idle circuit.***

MY COMMENT---I totally agree with that----

***. Idle jet. This would be an internal piece with a small hole to pass fuel for the idle circuit. The idle jet would be submerged in fuel in the fuel bowl. It seems odd, with your overly rich idle, that you'd have to leave the idle jet only partially screwed in since that would leak additional fuel around the jet. I haven't found a picture of the idle jet.***

---I thought that this was the idle jet...

But,

It is not submerged in fuel. I have read frenchs called it the screw mixture quality screw. It is suposed to came factory preset.
THIS is the screw that, if I partially screw out the idle gets better. This screw has a small hole at the bottom and bigger holes at each side. Once it is setted at the desired position I lock it with woman nail painting to prevent its movement.----

***1. Fast Idle screw. This screw adjust the additional throttle plate opening when choke is on. Think you're right to ignore this one till hot idle is fixed.***

---I agree with this---

***2. Idle mixture screw. See the picture on page 18 in the online manual you found. http://www.peugeot205.pl/pdf/p205haynes.pdf This screw allows more or less FUEL (not air) into the idle mixture. Your note below makes me wonder if you think that's adjusting the amount of air in the idle mixture. It might help if you looked down into the carb with the engine is running. Fuel should be in very small (atomized) mist, not big drops you can see. The idle mixture screw would mate with a SEAT, not the idle jet, in any carb I've seen. The seat is probably replaceable and would screw in. Is this the piece you're leaving not screwed all the way in?***

---I thought that the idle mixture screw adjusted air, more air into = less gasoline, and actually if I turn it all way in the idle is more erratic, in my opinion richer...but anyway it adjust the quantity of gas in the idle...
If I look into the carb there is atomized gas, not drops.
No I leave this screw like 2.5 turns out.-----

****3. Idle speed screw. See page 17 in the online manual. 28.4a Typical idle speed adjusting screw
location (A) on the Solex PBISA carburettors*****

---OK----

We use in Cuba recently an app called IMO. Unfortunately we can't use skype in Cuba.

If you agree a moment in the weekend and you install in your smartphone IMO you can add my contact +5354261448 so we can talk and even video chat.

Is that OK to you?

The moment is important because as I don't have an active connection on my mobile, I need to go to a park to get connected through a wifi so I need to know when.

Regards
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yasser,

I don't know what the screw you've marked is. Not finding it identified in the online Haynes manual. Hope we can find a reference that describes it and its influence on idle quality. Ill look some more.

But, according to the online Haynes manual, it adjusts the amount of fuel in the idle mixture. This is paragraph 18, page 18 in the Haynes manual.
Using a suitable flat-bladed screwdriver,
turn the mixture adjustment screw (in very
small increments) until the CO level is correct.
Turning the screw in (clockwise) weakens the
mixture and reduces the CO level, turning it
out will richen the mixture and increase the
CO level.
I don't have a smart phone that would do IMO. The video/phone connection might be useful at some point if we could do that while you're working on the car.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yasser,

Have you tried to get help at this forum? http://www.thepeugeotforums.com/ There are several threads on idle issues.

Do you know what car your carb came from?

Jim
Maverick
yasserfernandez

I will take a look at it.

The carb is supposed to came from a 205 model.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Any idea what year car the carb came from? There are a couple of places online that might have more info on tuning the carb but a year is required for the search.
Maverick
yasserfernandez

Not at all.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yasser,

From some online info on tuning a Solex carb on a VW, it appears that carb is quite different from anything I've worked on. I suspect the screw you referred to as a "jet", is really an adjustable air bleed. I interpreted the VW instructions to say you set the idle mixture screw (which adjusts idle fuel flow), then set the idle RPM using an adjustable air bleed. If that's true, there must be some way, other than nail polish, of holding that screw in a not-fully-closed position. Might you have left some kind of locking device off that screw? Might be a spring or lock nut?

Think you should get on the forum http://www.thepeugeotforums.com/ where you'll probably find some experts on those carbs and probably even find someone who has done the fuel injection to carb conversion.

Wish I could be more help but don't think I can. Here's wishing you success.

Jim
Maverick
yasserfernandez

I am wondering to know if, with this conversion I can get a 100% proper idle. Maybe I am swimming agaist the waves!
wxo

Post by wxo »

I don't believe we can not know the answer to that question unless you find the answer and fix the problem. My advice is to think about your priorities in life and how much impact the problem has on you. Sometimes you can learn to live with some little problems without spending a lot of time and effort to fix them.
yasserfernandez

YOU´RE RIGHT..

I´m going on vacations next Wednesday...for the moment I close the priority...maybe back from the beach I have a clearer mind!

Thank you very much!!!

I will keep posting for sure

You guys are the best

Regards