Shed Roof

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Shed Roof

Post by Maverick »

The roof on the shed where I painted the Maverick has leaked and ruined 2/3 of the particle board sheathing. Lots of mold too. I'm STILL waiting for an estimate from my neighbor contractor (guess the job is too small to be interesting) but WXO and another buddy have volunteered to help redo the roof. Roof isn't steep and only 8' at the eaves so I think three old guys can handle it.

Plan is to empty it out and thoroughly soak the whole inside with power sprayed bleach a couple of times before we start. Don't want to expose anyone to the mold.

The 4X8 sheets of particle board will be removed one at a time because I think that sheathing is an important part of the structure. Think the shed would get all out of shape if the whole roof were removed.

Found a way to have some fun. There were a bunch of mostly empty aerosol cans of paint in the shed. Can't put the in the trash where the propellant could get released inside the enclosed trash hauler. And, the paint should be solidified before it goes to the landfill. Solution: use the pressurized cans for target practice with the pellet rifle. From a safe distance, shoot one and it jumps, spins, rolls and sprays. Paint gets spread over the leaves where it will set up and be harmless.

Exit wound. :mrgreen:

Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Shed Roof

Post by Basement Paul »

If you line them up, how many can you kill with one bullet?

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WXO offered to bring his assault rifle next time I need to blow up some aerosols. :lol:

Found the reason for the leaks. Shed builder didn't install any felt under the shingles. :shock: He probably saved $25 and I'll spend close to $500 replacing the roof. :evil:

Got the shingles off the short side of the roof. Had it covered with plastic but, since it was predicted to be (and is) windy today, the plastic needed to be replaced with more durable felt. Yesterday WXO, Jim (another buddy) and I got the felt on. Got to use another new tool from Walt's Tool Supply. He brought a hammer stapler that we used to install the felt. What a great tool!

After the holidays I'll get the shingles off the long side of the roof and schedule another work day. Can't imagine doing a roof by myself. A one man roofer must be as rare as a one armed wallpaperer.

Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Nice felt. Working with your buddies always has an element of fun in it.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:Nice felt. Working with your buddies always has an element of fun in it.
Got that right!! You have a good thing going with all your activities with your sons and other Tiresmokers.
Maverick
Maverick

OOP!!

Post by Maverick »

What happens when some cheap SOB saves $25 by not installing felt under the shingles, rain gets in and ruins the sheathing, and some old guy doesn't watch where he's stepping?

I'm OK!! I'm OK!! :oops:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Had a setback in the shed roof replacement. To remove the damaged sheathing, I was using a 5' treated 2X8 and the cherry picker engine lift. Worked pretty well till the 2X8 slipped off the engine lift and landed end down on my toes.

Two broken toes and lacerations on the bottom that wouldn't stop bleeding. So, off to the emergency room again. :oops: "YES, my tetanus shot is current!! Got it the last time I was here."

Got the new sheathing covered with plastic waiting till my toes heal some and weather cooperates.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Ouch!! I've hurt my feet like that before. The pain is bad at
first, then you see the blood coming through the sock...........

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Ouch! :shock:

-BP