1987 Buick Grand National hardtop

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1987 Buick Grand National hardtop

Post by wxo »

I went back to remind myself about the origin of this GN and saw that you had run a carfax on it. What did that say?? Any indication there, in hindsight, that it was not as it seemed?
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Both titles say Regal coupe. However if I had read the fine print of the carfax it does say 3.8L V6 2BL OHV. My bad. However (like John said) the car looks so correct, who would have thought it was faked. Especially being so worn (it was faked a long time ago). Oh well, I can pretty much do whatever now and not hurt the value. Now to make it driveable and just do whatever. I will still advertise it for sale here and there (as a regal with a turbo v6). If someone wants to buy it then cool, if not, fine.
Matt Sutter
wxo

Post by wxo »

Except for one character in the VIN, for all intents and purposes, it is a Grand National. It's a clone, but it runs and drives and looks like the GN hotrod that it is. What will it do in the quarter?
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

GN's go anywhere from 13's to 10's. I have not raced this one yet. We will see once it's squared away.
Matt Sutter
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

You might be able to look at this as a blessing in disguise. When I was working
on my 442, it was tough to make it go fast because everything was all original and
hadn't been touched. Things that make cars fast don't look "original' and that was
the value in the car. I switched the cylinder heads, intake manifold, and exhaust
system, but disclosed all of that when I went to sell it on Ebay. The car was way
more fun after I did my modifications, but I'm not certain that what I did to make
it faster helped make it more valuable. Like Walt said, it really looks EXACTLY like
a Grand National but now you don't have to worry about screwing up an all original
car.... enjoy it for what it is, off it when you're done with it and write off the potential
dollars gained as enjoyment and entertainment.

GM
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

GMJohnny wrote:It sucks that the car is a fake!! Looking at the pics, I keep thinking that
it's amazing that someone would go through all of the effort to make a
GN out of a normal Regal. All of the parts seem to be there. Perhaps there
was a totaled out GN that was a good donor car??? The question I have
is what does the title call the car? Should the title call it a "Grand National"
or should it just be a "sports coupe" or something?

GM
Happens all the time. I've seen quite a few cloned GNs. It's the same reason anything gets cloned, GN gets wrecked or rotted out, clean base model shell gets available, and some wrenching makes for a GN clone.

In some countries you can even reshell a car and use the "original" car's VIN.

Now if you want painful, I got in a beautiful BEAUTIFUL, 13k mile GN that was so original that it still had the assembly line stickers and clips on the drums. Still had the airbox, which I've never actually seen before since everybody goes to a cone filter for instant HP. Guess what we did... :oops: Cold air, big downpipe, full exhaust, chip tune, adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Oh well, wasn't my car or my money, but I sure felt bad doing it.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Happens all the time. I've seen quite a few cloned GNs. It's the same reason anything gets cloned, GN gets wrecked or rotted out, clean base model shell gets available, and some wrenching makes for a GN clone.

In some countries you can even reshell a car and use the "original" car's VIN.
[/quote]

I understand that but somewhere along the way someone misrepresented it. Based on it's condition it was cloned years ago. At least the T Type is a turbo vin.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I have had it with this thing. Once the new upholstery kit comes in and I install it this is going up for sale. So today I start it up and move it. I see a LARGE puddle under the car after I move it. I smell GAS. So I follow the trail and it's obviously the Regal. I look under the car and see something dripping from the frame rail on the drivers side. I start the car and gas is just POURING out of the frame rail near where the fuel filter is. So I guess now this weekend's project is to fix the leak. UGH. Jealous of the 540i maybe?
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Perhaps I jumped the gun a little. It leaked exactly where I thought it was, the fuel filter. I replaced the hose and.....no more leak. If I were keeping the car I would replace the steel line like it should be but for now I am just putting it back how I got it, so it runs and drives until I sell it. I was also notified my new seat covers shipped and will be here next week. Once they get installed the interior will be pretty decent and it will be time to advertise it.
Attachments
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg (116.34 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

So the new seat covers arrived yesterday. This evening I recovered all the seats. It was too dark to install the last one. I am also waiting on the "6" headrest covers. It was really a pretty simple job. Maybe an hour per seat, upper rear, lower rear, driver bucket and passenger bucket. Tomorrow before work I hope to bolt in the driver seat and take some pictures. Then tomorrow evening to re-install the door panels ( I tried to fix the driver's side control switch for the passenger door power window but couldn't figure it out ). Once the door panels and headrests are done, it will be time for a wash and vacuum, then pictures and up on Craigslist and Ebay it goes. We will see if it sells now since it looks so much better.
Attachments
13882389_10207378823928691_2954422913563549547_n.jpg
13882389_10207378823928691_2954422913563549547_n.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG (162.34 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

seats recovered and installed.
Attachments
13906870_10207383334401450_4515153659201644166_n.jpg
13906870_10207383334401450_4515153659201644166_n.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Big improvement! I think you'll be surprised at how well it does on eBay.

Good luck!

-BP