1972 Porsche 911t

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

1972 Porsche 911t

Post by ttamrettus »

So here is the story. When I moved into my house in 2012 there was an "abandoned" car sitting next to a carport a few miles away under a weathered and torn tarp. Well after driving past it for 2 years I finally stopped. I spoke to the lady who owned the house and she said it was not for sale, but I left my number. Fast forward to this week. So this week I was SLAMMED at work. Cookeville TN on Monday, Nashville TN on Tuesday, Chattanooga TN on Wednesday, Anderson SC on Thursday and Friday. So on y way from Chattanooga to Anderson I stop by my house to check on it and to feed and water the dog so Nardaliz wouldn't have to drive over to do it. Well as I'm about to leave the phone rings. The lady on the other end starts talking real fast and it's hard for me to understand her something about me having something in my yard and wanting to buy it. Well after asking a few questions I discover it was the other way around. She had something I wanted in her yard. Well apparently the county starting get on her a few weeks ago about cleaning her yard and having non-running cars laying around. Well her roommate told one of her friends about the car and they showed up with a flat bed to pick it up and the mother said no, that she promised me first last year. So she told me what they were offering and I said I would paymore than that and come right over. As I pulled up the mustang GT and the flatbed of the roommate's friend were leaving. I think they were a little upset a me.

So I left her a check on Wednesday night and picked the car up yesterday (Saturday). I have to do some research on the car as supposedly it is a one of one color and is a "known" racecar around the Atlanta area. Time will tell. The car has several identifying decals on it that will hopefully lead me to some information about it's history. I am taking a bit of a chance as the car has no title. I only have the car, the keys, the bill of sale and a cancelled check.

I am going to show some pics to the local car club guy (for this particular car) and get his opinion of what I should do. He happens to be a customer of mine at work.

Guesses as to what the car is ? hint, I am NOT an expert at all on these cars but they are cool. I actually ordered a couple books off Amazon to read up on these cars.

Oh another "fun fact", the car had 2 SuperTrapp mufflers on it which seemed WAY WAY out of place.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Re: another non runner having to be towed home.

Post by Basement Paul »

Maybe an AMX?

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

here it is.
Attachments
IMG_1006crop.jpg
IMG_1006crop.jpg (173.18 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's sooooo badass! I'm sure there's a ton of work there, but I hope you get that thing going. Wicked cool.

Good luck!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

wow! cant wait to hear more.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I'm doing research on the car now. My Dad and my buddy, Khahn want me to flip it. But it's so damn cool. We will see. One of my customers is in the porsche club and I am going to ask his expert opinion. Flip, part out, restore, just get running driving, etc.
Attachments
IMG_1004resize.jpg
IMG_1004resize.jpg (215.62 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
IMG_1002resize.jpg
IMG_1002resize.jpg (395.25 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
IMG_0999resize.jpg
IMG_0999resize.jpg (456.04 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It matches the wheelbarrow...

If you have a Porsche expert around, that will come in handy because this bad-boy could be a serious money pit. Quick flips usually end up being the smartest route, but not necessarily the most fun way.

How much work do you think just to get it started, or is that yet to be determined?

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Basement Paul wrote:It matches the wheelbarrow...

How much work do you think just to get it started, or is that yet to be determined?

-BP
All the hoses and even the plug wires are dry rotted. Who even knows about the gas.

My goal is to research it first (history/previous owners etc).

Then to have my customer (from the Porsche club) look at it and get his opinion.
It's an air cooled 6 cylinder so the engine can't be that hard to dis-assemble and R&R.
I am told it has a bad transmission, so I can address that once the engine is inspected.
Then the fuel system and the brakes.
After that it would likely run & drive.

I may even look at the brakes this weekend so I can identify the rims (to determine their value).
The wheels did roll when we pulled it so the calipers likely work.
I left out the pressure wash and vacuum for all the dirt and spider webs.

Haggerty lists a running #4 1972 911T at like $29k and a #1 at almost $70k. Similar fake ones like this in mint condition with engine swaps are in the $60k range on ebay.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

The callipers are not 1972 vintage. It has aluminum solid looking motor mounts, an aftermarket shock tower brace, some racing electronics on the inside, a rollbar, upgraded sway bar ends and more I am sure I missed.
Attachments
IMG_1013crop.jpg
IMG_1013crop.jpg (184.04 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
IMG_0998crop.jpg
IMG_0998crop.jpg (420.26 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Looks like this car had done some kind of racing in the past. I see fresh air and cool shirt lines there in the driver compartment in addition to the racing seats.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Sure does look solid. I'm thinking if it ran and moved it would be worth 20k. I believe those wheels are early 90's if I remember correctly (just from reading magazines and playing video games). You can tell me if I'm right or wrong there.

I would like to see you drive it, but I would really like to see you make a wad of cash without doing too much. Then you can buy something you really want that doesn't need any work!

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

MostMint wrote:Looks like this car had done some kind of racing in the past. I see fresh air and cool shirt lines there in the driver compartment in addition to the racing seats.
supposedly it ran at Road Atlanta. 165mph or some number IIRC. It's got other racing electronics inside the car. I will likely gut that stuff in leau of street equipment. I am going to save everything though until I figure out what it's worth.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Basement Paul wrote:Sure does look solid. I'm thinking if it ran and moved it would be worth 20k. I believe those wheels are early 90's if I remember correctly (just from reading magazines and playing video games). You can tell me if I'm right or wrong there.

I would like to see you drive it, but I would really like to see you make a wad of cash without doing too much. Then you can buy something you really want that doesn't need any work!

-BP
I honestly don't know when the wheels are from. I hear the car has sat since 1999/2000 so you could easily be correct. They are 3 piece wheels. Once I get them off this weekend, maybe they have a manufacturer cast on the inside.

I would like to drive it then make a wad of cash. Problem is my brother said he might be interested in it if I sell it.

I could do the patina style. Scotbrite the rust down and buff the car, especially if it is a 1 of 1 green in the US. Then get it running and driving. I heard the trans mission is bad so i has to come out, which means I might as well remove the engine and give it a once over. Winter project.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

This shipped to me yesterday.

STEP 1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076031 ... ailpages00
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Knowledge is key. Old school paper. Cool.

-BP