2015 Ram 1500 #51

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2015 Ram 1500 #51

Post by Basement Paul »

I too was at the track with TireSmoker yesterday. I wanted to make a few passes in the new truck to see what some cooler temps and some break in mileage would do. The truck is now over 8k miles. After adjusting the pressure more in the RR tire, and learning that I can hold 2nd gear through the traps (about 5900rpms) yielded me a 14.38 ET @ 97.74mph. I'm still pedaling off the line, but with big torque, a P/U truck weight distribution, and one wheel peel, I'll always be pedaling. My 60' is 2.14

Maybe by spring I'll have a cold air intake, exhaust work, or both. I'm thinking with those two updates, I should be able to hit 100mph in the 1/4. I think that would be pretty cool.

Either way, I'm really happy that my bone stock truck is only a couple tenths slower than that Mustang I traded and I use the heck out of the truck bed, so basically a win / win.

Now on to winter....

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Merry Christmas to all 'Smokers!

My wife (with some prodding by me) bought me the K&N intake kit I wanted for the Ram. On the old 345hp Hemi, the dyno sheets claim 15hp and 17ft lbs. On my 395hp Hemi, after driving it, I'm thinking maybe more than that. It really made a pretty big difference in the seat of the pants department. I like that under normal driving, it's quiet like stock, but it gets pretty aggressive under WOT. I also think my mileage will get better as it shifts earlier under normal driving, and seems to lug better too. Stock it makes 405 ft lbs, so more torque and sooner is always better.
It didn't just go together during assembly, but I had the stuff here to make it work correctly. It took about 2 hours to install.

-BP

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The unfortunate part of the post K&N install, is that I also put on my really heavy duty snow tires (craigslist) the day after, which are at least 10lbs each heavier than my factory tires (118/121 rating VS 113) so the truck has become not much faster again. Which is OK cuz the snow tires are pretty sketchy at speed just because of the DEEP and soft tread. They ride a little harder because of the 80psi VS the 45psi in the stock tires. But I don't think that it has hurt my mileage because they roll a lot better with all that air in them. They're surprisingly just about as quiet as my all-seasons. Also, the snow tires had wheel sensors in them and the truck was able to recognize the new sensors and never even throw a code. Hooray for MOPAR making that so easy. Some companies require a reprogramming to make it happen.

I'm thinking I'm going to start looking for a deal on some aluminum 20" OEM Ram wheels. No hurry, but if I found the right deal, I would buy them. The truck would look a little better, probably be quicker because of the aluminum VS steelies, and would definitely handle better.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Two years old and 30k miles later and the Ram is still looking good. I use the crap out of it. Not a week goes by that I'm not carrying a bunch of stuff in the bed. Pretty happy so far...

-BP
Attachments
Load 4-10-17.jpg
4-7-2017.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks like I can officially close this one:

https://www.kempthornvw.com/used/Ram/20 ... 4f3501.htm

A few things in their ad are incorrect about that truck, but that's their problem now. On to #52.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »