home.tiresmoke.org -- please read

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

home.tiresmoke.org -- please read

Post by TireSmoker »

Not the usual kind of project for this section..

Anyway, I've managed to set up a place to host tiresmoke that is at my house. This is really more for my convenience than anything else, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while. I have a decent uplink speed of 5Mbps, which I think should allow for decent performance. But I really didn't wanna cut over without trying it out..

So, there's http://home.tiresmoke.org -- this is an exact copy of Tiresmoke, (as of March 9, 2015) except it runs on a PC at my house. The banner at the top of the page should say Home.Tiresmoke.Org, so you'll know you're on the alternate site. If you guys wouldn't mind, try it out. Don't put your real project updates there yet -- just browse the site and enter a few meaningless posts. I just want to find out how overall website performance is when its running out of my house. It feels really fast when I tried testing from my work computer.

The only thing that seems broken are the avatars. Not worried about fixing this for testing right now.

If this works well for everybody, I'm going to make the real/regular tiresmoke run at home too. Please let me know your experiences good & bad.

-Dave
wxo

Re: home.tiresmoke.org -- please read

Post by wxo »

On my first try, the new one is definitely faster. Nice, crisp response to browsing. I'll try some posting later.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I agree. Fastest site I access. :shock:
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Not having to share resources with a few hundred other websites will tend to speed things up a bit. :-)

If all goes well, I'll still have some other bits to work out before moving the real website (production), but for me to understand the migration process from one host to another was a big hurdle to get over.

Making changes going forward should become much easier and faster to implement.

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Dave,

Thanks VERY much for everything you do for TS.org. I appreciate having a place to record and archive my projects here. Its great having they available on the web and also taking advantage of all the experience of TSers.

Jim
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Seems the same for me, but my speed is really limited here at work.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:Seems the same for me, but my speed is really limited here at work.

-BP
As long as it isn't slower.. or broken.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote:Dave,

Thanks VERY much for everything you do for TS.org. I appreciate having a place to record and archive my projects here. Its great having they available on the web and also taking advantage of all the experience of TSers.

Jim
I dont mind doing it, and even enjoy doing it when I get to do it on my terms.(like now) I'm happy that other people find it useful.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

It appears faster to me. I'd support your moving us. At your convenience. 8)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You've got plenty of bandwidth, so let's do this deal. :)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Still gotta get other stuff worked out first. I gotta make sure I can send outbound email properly. I want to try and make sure I have some of the security stuff set correctly since it will be an internet facing machine. I also need to figure out the backup strategy for it.

I'll put some effort into resolving the avatars, or you guys might just have to re-assign/re-upload them. Hopefully not a huge deal.

But, another major milestone was reached tonight as I migrated my old photos.studly.net website onto the same server where home.tiresmoke.org is running now. That site had been housed in a different VM that was originally created in 2007 but can finally be retired. I got to do some consolidation/housecleaning and refreshed on some of my linux admin skills in the process. Good stuff.

I'll probably move the production site over in the next week or two. I just want to be sure everything is right, because I dont want to get stuck having to go back to 1&1, as I foresee a hassle going back if I had to.

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

When the move is done, will the URL be home.tiresmoke.org or www.tiresmoke.org? Seems there are LOTS of people viewing the threads. My Lincoln thread has had about 80 views since the last post. Don't know if you'd like to leave the URL the same to maintain views or change it to maybe reduce guest views some.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

When it moves, it will remain www.tiresmoke.org. I want to make sure any links that you guys have posted elsewhere remain valid. I don't see a lot of guest views as a problem, do you? If you do, I'm curious as to why... (genuine question)

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I've been cautious about posting links to ts.org because I didn't know if additional traffic would be a problem for you. Did give a link to the Maverick thread to the buyer but never posted a link on another site. I'll be less concerned now that I know you're OK with it.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Nah, it's a website, traffic is good. But I appreciate the consideration. :-)

-Dave