1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Post by Maverick »

Bigger jets, bigger jets!! :mrgreen:

Got it out for a little run yesterday. Its looking pretty good. Running sweet!! Did a 2nd gear WOT with AFR in the 13s. Can't run it thru the gears and watch the gauges too. When the rest of the crew is back in town we'll get a good test. Looks like we'll be ready for "The Rock" on 12/3. Hope the weather cooperates.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We got a run today and we're pretty pleased with the results of our tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muhM47 ... e=youtu.be

AFR mostly in the 13s thru the gears. I think to get the AFR in the 12s it needs a secondary metering block with power valve rather than the metering plate.

So, it's off to Rockingham on Saturday. We're hoping for 13s in the 1/4.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like perfect cool (almost cold) weather Saturday at "The Rock".

Good Luck to the "Hot Rod" Lincoln and WXO's "SS"!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:Looks like perfect cool (almost cold) weather Saturday at "The Rock".

Good Luck to the "Hot Rod" Lincoln and WXO's "SS"!
Hop on a plane and come on down!! There's still time.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Actual, after WXO called, Arlene rushed to the computer,
unfortunately the summer flights are not available now.

Anyway, thanks for the invite, you'll have to party without me.

Make the best out of it!
Fred32v
wxo

Post by wxo »

7:30 this morning we luckily checked the Rockingham website and saw this: :shock:

"ROCKINGHAM, N.C. – In anticipation of a busy 2017 season and with the intent of retaining its status as the Carolinas' fastest track, Rockingham Dragway has contracted with Freeburn Race Track Repair to grind and profile both of its high-traction lanes from the eighth mile through the quarter mile, a project that has made it necessary for track owner Steve Earwood to cancel the test-and-tune events scheduled Dec. 3rd and Dec. 10th."
[/url]
Looks like our season is over before it began. But, boy, were we ready to go!! :mrgreen:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I can understand snow cancellation, but grinding the track?! :( OK, Dec. 17 ??? :?
Fred32v
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Interesting day. Bad news and good news.

As WXO mentioned, Rockingham closed their season early to work on the track for next year. Got on the internet looking for T&T somewhere close enough to go today. Virgina Motorsports track, South of Petersburg, was open for T&T. So we drove up there and had some success.

Nice cool day but there was about a 10 MPH head wind.

WXO hauled his and my drag radials and my floor jack in the TB SS. Changed the tires at the track. I'll edit in some images when I figure out how.

The really bad news happened to WXO on NC 15 coming home. He hit a deer square in the front. Destroyed the grille, smashed the left front lights and fender, spread guts over the hood, windshield and roof.
IMG_3010.JPG
That's the second accident for him on that road. First one totaled his Camaro. Think we'll take a different route next time.

Run 1: I messed up. Must have edged forward a millimeter and red lighted. Then, launched late and just gave up about 3/4 down the track. But WXO had a GOOD run with 13.451 ET at 101.75 MPH. The TB SS is back on top.

Run 2: WXO messed up. He red lighted and launched late, probably to make me feel good. ;-) No time posted for WXO. The Lincoln did the 1/8th in 8.615 as compared to 9.0 before the carb tuning. !/4 mile ET was 13.614 at 97.77 MPH. I was pleased to take .4 sec off the 1/8th mile time and be well into the 13s on the 1/4. That's what I was hoping for.

Run 3: There was something on the track in my lane. The guy with the mop was swabbing it before my run. Got NO traction -- spun like crazy. I don't know what I did with that time slip. Probably threw it away. :-( WXO had another GOOD run with results similar to Run 1--> Run 3 was 13.45 @ 101.75 with a 2.019 sixty foot. Maverick had a 14.795 @ 88.4 mph with a 2.81 sixty foot.

It was a really fun day except for the deer accident.
IMG_3008.JPG
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wow, you really got that thing dialed in pretty well. That's really good ET for the MPH. Looks like a fun day!

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

That 13.61 is impressive! That's as fast as my Corvette was on the first day I took it
to the track. Good numbers and it sounds like there's more there!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Those are good numbers for both vehicles! It's fun I'm sure, to see all your efforts pay off. That Lincoln looks great launching!
Sorry WXO, to see the damage to your TB. Good thing though, you're OK. Deer impacts can go south real quick. Get her fixed up and ready for Spring racing action.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

A sad ending to an awesome day.
WXO's entry into the 100 MPH Club and sub 13.5 numbers!
Even the track announcer was surprised by the "Hot Rod" Lincoln numbers.
Well into the 13's, MPH is impressive but without the head wind those will even be better.

No more speculation, now you have great hard and fast numbers.
You know that there is more there, but for a first outing you have to be seriously satisfied.

Great start! Every time you go it will get better.
Fred32v
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yep, we're feeling pretty good about our tuning efforts considering neither one of us knew much to start with.

Now, I thinking we could squeeze a little more out of it. 3 MPH would break 100. Hope to find a metering block with power valve to replace the secondary metering plate to get WOT AFR in the mid-12s.

Oh, BTW, mileage improved from 10.5 MPG on the Rockingham trip to 11 coming back from VA. I'll go bigger on the primary high speed air bleeds to lean out cruise some more.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Called Holley/QuickFuel and got a good guy that appeared to know things. Ordered a #34-4, secondary metering block with power valve and #5-18, 4 longer screws for the fuel bowl. On sale, no shipping and no tax.

Learned that street carbs are 2 channel (vs 3 channel, useful info when ordering carb parts) and replacing the metering plate with a metering block turns the 4160-style carb into a 4150 style (also good to know when ordering parts).

Will dig into my spare parts to add a power valve and jets to the metering block.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I MUST be getting old!! Last week at the airport a young woman insisted on helping me get a suitcase off the carousal. Saturday at the track, a guy wanted to know if I needed help changing the wheels.

When I see these pictures I guess I understand it.
Attachments
DSC01813 (800x600).jpg
DSC01809 (800x600).jpg
Maverick