Chevelle Projects 2014

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Chevelle Projects 2014

Post by TireSmoker »

So I replaced the lockup solenoid in the trans and everything seems right, but I still can't get it to lockup. The old solenoid measured 0 ohms of resistance, meaning it was dead shorted, needed to be replaced. New one correctly reads between 20-30 ohms. +12v on pin A, apply ground to pin D, it's supposed to lock. I've been driving around a bunch in 3rd trying not to cook this thing by constantly being under stall speed in 4th.

I also reinstalled the wiper motor and replaced the door striker. I'll do the rear brakes when my father gets home from FL in a few days. That's a perfect job for him to supervise. I loathe drum brakes. I got 2 new wheel cylinders, hardware, self-adjusters, and new shoes. $90 at NAPA.

I'm finally loving my car again. It's been a long time. EFI is finally working *right*, I have a kick-ass crate engine under it, with plenty of gear and stall, and overdrive. I cant wait to see what it can do with some traction. Last night Tony and I drove both Chevelles down to Blazing Bills on US 422 for some victory BBQ. What victory? Having both cars fully drivable. :-) We got a couple good runs going across LaDue each way too. The car feels reliable to me again. I'm not too worried that it's gonna just die out on me, (but even if it does, I know the damn thing inside and out at this point.)

ImageImage

ImageImage

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm guessing you've got some pull on Tony's car?

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

For starters, it rained yesterday.....so I was actually parked in a small puddle. My car did not leak anything in the parking lot! :D

On our eastward side by side blast on the bridge, I was surprised that the cars stayed side by side...screaming for some BBQ. On the way back, I got caught between gears and Dave's car was definitely pulling away from me.

Then again, I ate more for dinner.

Where Dave's car will crush mine is off the line. He's got a lot more torque, 600 RPM more stall, a two inch smaller converter, better first gear, and slightly better rear end gears. If both Chevelles are 12 second cars (and they are!), they sit at the extreme opposite ends of that 12 second range.

And he's only begun to tune.

Very fun ride and dinner, though. Much more diverting than accounting!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

If you guys ever decide to cruise out that direction again, let me know.
I've moved to Auburn Twp. and you were a couple of miles from me!
I could've provided a beer on the house!!

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Will do, John. I love cruising out that way.

Now, if only I could find a guy with a boat to go fish LaDue with..... 8)
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

There used to be boat rental at LaDue. I'm not sure if they do rental
anymore.....

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Road course road course road course. I got a cheeseburger that says you can't beat my Impala's 1:22 over at Nelson Ledges.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

GMJohnny wrote:There used to be boat rental at LaDue. I'm not sure if they do rental
anymore.....

GM
Oh....I've got the boat, John. I just need to find someone to go out with. I'm not comfortable fishing LaDue by myself.

I'd feel much better if there were someone to watch me fall in and then possibly resurface. :D
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:Road course road course road course. I got a cheeseburger that says you can't beat my Impala's 1:22 over at Nelson Ledges.
Wow.. that's a tough one. I so want to take that bet. :-) When I was younger, that's *exactly* what I wanted to do with this car.. now, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll have to try it at least once.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If you had a good set of tires, I'm putting my money on the Chevelle. I'll cover your burger if you don't beat it, but you have to get the good tires... BUT, I can help you mount them. :)

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

There's a thread on chevelles.com where a guy took his '72 Chevelle to a track day at Laguna Seca! He has my exact wheel/tire combo, although not the improved suspension or bigger front brakes. Certainly didn't seem to corner too terribly in the youtube link in his first msg. There's a really cool pic of his car in The Corkscrew too.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732042

I agree with Paul that better tires would be a must. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard..

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

How much does it weigh and how wide are the tires?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:How much does it weigh and how wide are the tires?
I think about 3700lbs with driver, 235-60-15 in Front, 255-60-15 in rear.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Can I get in on on this with my BMW ?
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I finally got the computer controlled timing working. It turns out one of the ignition settings for the computer is listed wrong in their manual. There was a recent forum posting where this was mentioned and once I made the change, everything was working as it should. I'm relieved, especially because after I pulled the MSD distributor out, the one I've been driving very successfully on the past couple weeks, I'm surprised it ran as good as it did. The distributor wasn't set for locked out timing, it was just rusted and nothing was moving! (advance mechanism) Well, I'll figure out what to do with it later, the computer controlled distributor was always the desired solution and it's now working.

Today has been one of those days where I got a big dose of payback for all the time I've spent trying to get this thing right. Drove it around for a few hours, and it is running TIP TOP!! From a tune-up standpoint, this thing is now ready to race, and I will be at Thompson on May 6. It already feels strong on the street and I have yet to 1) have any traction in 1st gear 2) open the headers. Can't wait! My first-outing goal is 12.50 @ 108. There's a guy on Chevelles.com who put a ZZ383 into his well-sorted car and he went 11.86 @ 110. (with a carb)

Loving my car again.. :-)

-Dave