1982 Mustang #50

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1982 Mustang #50

Post by Basement Paul »

I was off yesterday, so I spent a couple hours in the morning finishing up the valve spring job. Low and behold, the RPM problem is still not solved... I don't feel it was a total waste of time though, as the guy that assembled the motor had the rockers WAY too tight. Recommended torque is 18-22 ft lbs, and I'm guessing most of them were over 40. The motor is much smoother now. It's not any faster IMO, though.

Now I'm going to spend the week getting the car ready to sell. Not because I hate it, but because everything is working OK now, and I can't really afford the time to A) make it as fast as I would like, and B) fix it if I break it. So IMO, now is the best time to sell it. There's an all Mustang show at Summit this Saturday that I'm planning to take it to, and I'll have it on Craigslist before that. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I'll probably put up an ad on ebay. There's only one other tubbed foxbody Mustang on ebay right now, and it's $21k. Yes, it's nicer, but not $9k nicer and it's a hatchback.

Once it sells, it's time to get more serious about my S-10.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maybe talk to someone who knows something about Fords. You have come a long way with this car there is just one more thing left! I get it if you want to move on.

It could be
- cam timing? Are you off a tooth?
- spark - plugs or coil?
- something with the timing. Long shot maybe but too much lead or not enough
- fuel pressure - not enough? OR something constricting the fuel flow like a kinda bad filter?
- wrong cam. Doubtful though I think you would know this based on the rate of power decline

Maybe talk with Ricky if nothing else.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

When I installed a cam in my 65 Olds, with help from Fred32v, we decided that it'd
be a good idea to get a speed sprocket kit and install it 2 degrees advanced. We did.
After driving the car, it had incredible power out of the hole, but rolled over at 4500 rpm.
Fred had the same cam in his 455 and it'd pull strong to 5000. Long story shortened a
ton, the cam was ground 2 degrees advanced from the manufacturer. After putting the
timing gears the correct way, I could pull 5200 rpm no problem. Sounds like the same
issue to me, but I'm no expert. A quick sale does cure plenty of problems, however.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

At the end of the day, I just don't have the time. My business has grown considerably, and I'm to the point in my life where I'd rather work on that and focus on retiring early. Which includes buying a Viper while I'm young enough to climb in and out of it.

I'm 43. I'd like to stop working by 55. I'm not sure that will happen, but I think it's possible. The Accountant will probably tell me that's not real, and based on my current income, he's right. But since I don't have any kids, I'm thinking I can do it. Having this money / time pit around won't help the situation so it's time to move on.

Since there aren't too many Ford guys on this forum, I won't bother offering it to anyone here. :)

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Don't be too sure. The way Maverick is struggling with the Lincoln, he might be ready to try something else. Besides I think he would look real snazzy driving in his neighborhood in a pro-street Mustang. :mrgreen:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's hard NOT to look good driving a Pro Street Foxbody!

Take that motor out of the Lincoln, put it in this Mustang, and rule the streets!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

At my advanced age big, cushy and spirited suits me better. Just need to find solutions to three problems that are making me crazy. Seems like nothing is easy on the old girl. :evil:
Maverick
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

The Accountant says....it's time for a working tax dinner....or a retirement planning discussion while bass fishing. :D
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Nice car and good ad. I expect you'll sell it at the Mustang show.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

One last ride from Painesville.

We can close the door on this one.

-BP