Tiresmoke Central, construction begins!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Tiresmoke Central, construction begins!

Post by TireSmoker »

With room to spare. I guess our "mistake" wasn't much of a mistake. Granted, I have the Chevelle pulled all the way up against the back door so I couldn't walk around the front of it, but that left me plenty of room in front of the truck, and still enough to walk around the back of it, even with the hitch installed. I can even raise the door with the truck fully lifted, so everything has worked out as good as it could.

Just like this guy, I love it when a plan comes together.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

He's saying: "Nice job, Murdock!"

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Continuing the improvements.. a couple weekends back, I got a TV mounted in the garage. Gwen has this 32" unit that we weren't using at all, so she offered it to me for the garage. I found a nice $20 wall mount at Micro Center and a $5 universal remote. It swivels pretty far to the left and right, so it should viewable wherever I'm working. I don't have cable TV yet, just rabbit ears for now. My old stereo receiver and speakers that I purchased my sophomore year of college have been pressed back into service. I've got an ipod hookup, as well as sound from the TV too.

Tony offered up his carpentry skills to help me build a new workbench, so I wisely took him up on it. I just need to add a coat of clear to the top of it to finish it and give it some protection. I still need to put something else together for the bench grinder and drill press.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You could probably put both on this thing:

http://hgrinc.com/buyOurs/inventoryItem ... RESS+STAND

It weighs almost 400 lbs, so you'll never hurt it. Just a quick coat of clear...

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

TireSmoker wrote:Continuing the improvements.. a couple weekends back, I got a TV mounted in the garage. Gwen has this 32" unit that we weren't using at all, so she offered it to me for the garage. I found a nice $20 wall mount at Micro Center and a $5 universal remote. It swivels pretty far to the left and right, so it should viewable wherever I'm working. I don't have cable TV yet, just rabbit ears for now. My old stereo receiver and speakers that I purchased my sophomore year of college have been pressed back into service. I've got an ipod hookup, as well as sound from the TV too.

Tony offered up his carpentry skills to help me build a new workbench, so I wisely took him up on it. I just need to add a coat of clear to the top of it to finish it and give it some protection. I still need to put something else together for the bench grinder and drill press.

-Dave
If the bench lasts as long as the wooden track box I made for you back in 1990, I think you'll be set!! 8)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

wxo wrote:I can't tell how far it is from the house, but have you thought about a toilet? Well, fridge for the beer first, toilet second.
I went re-reading through this thread a few days back and forgot to post the latest addition. Gwen and I celebrated three years together in June and she got me a little mini-fridge for the garage, complete with a little snack drawer up top and stocked it all. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but now cold Pepsis don't require a trip to the house! Started adding some stickers to it. We all know they make cars faster, so I'm guessing in this case they'll keep my beverages colder. :-)

-Dave

Image Image
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Sweet! Just in time for the Pre-Labor Day Poker Extravaganza. 8)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Nnnn - ICE! fridge ... ( that's "nice" said like the ice vendor at the Canfield meet! )

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So a little update is due here -- just got back from an 8 day cruise to Aruba/ Cirucao / Grand Turk, while there was plenty of single-digit and sub-zero temps at home. I went back to the garage tonight and without any heater at all, it was still a relatively balmy 28 degrees in there -- it was below zero outside when I went back there, so it's nicely holding a 30-degree temperature differential.

And for the cherry on top, I delivered Dad's Mustang to him in Florida where it will stay for the foreseeable future, which means I now have an extra garage spot.. bonus!

Soooo happy with how this building is working!

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Ummm.......I also like how the garage is working out. I have no buyer's remorse for Dave at all!!! :mrgreen:

Between the minus eight while picking Dave up last night and the minus four right now, it's enough to make me want to sit at my desk and crank out tax returns all day.......
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Dave, now that Tiresmoke Central has been around for a bit how do you like it. Too big, too small, wish it was a differnt arrangement, etc ? I am considering an outbuiilding here. Maybe something 24x41x10 (that is this one). It would fit my lot the best I think.
Attachments
24 41 10.jpg
24 41 10.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 14478 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Where else are you going to put all those turbochargers? Looks AWESOME to me.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Wish I had something like that built instead of the 15X30 attached garage I had added on to the new house 29 years ago. If there's a way to make it 2' deeper, you'd have much more usable space in front of vehicles for things like work bench, air compressor, tool chests, drill press, parts washer, blast cabinet, fridge, welders, room to use an engine lift, ...

2' higher would give you head room for a lift and overhead heater.
Maverick
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Maverick wrote:Wish I had something like that built instead of the 15X30 attached garage I had added on to the new house 29 years ago. If there's a way to make it 2' deeper, you'd have much more usable space in front of vehicles for things like work bench, air compressor, tool chests, drill press, parts washer, blast cabinet, fridge, welders, room to use an engine lift, ...

2' higher would give you head room for a lift and overhead heater.
I think you are entirely correct Maverick, my existing garage is basically 23' deep and 23' 6" wide with a 16' door. I looked at Dave's lift and it appears to be 11'6" tall. So 2' deeper and 2' taller would be perfect I think.

I can't seem to get myself under 4 cars. Plus I am in the market for a pick-up so we'll see what happens.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I think I'd still do the same thing. Part of it for me is that I didn't want to take up the extra room across my back yard with the 3-wide layout. And the biggest difference between my layout and the one in your pic, is that I can get 4 cars inside for sure, without having to put anything on dollies. As John pointed out, the downside is I occasionally have to shuffle things around. The only time that is ever an issue is winter, though. I can also put a vehicle all the way up on the lift, and drive a car under it to get in/out of the back spot on that side. I can't drive the truck under a raised car, though.

My grandparents house where I first kept my Chevelle has a 26x26 garage, which I was basically given half of at the. 26ft deep was very nice for having a workbench, tool box, air compressor up front, plus plenty of room to work. I had enough room to use a chainfall for doing engine pulls while the door was closed. My garage in Lyndhurst was only 20ft deep and there wasn't much room in front or rear to do anything.

Build as big as you can afford, you'll find a use for the space. If you're considering a lift, draw everything out on paper first. Make sure it will fit where you want it.

-Dave